UConn/BU/UMichigan/UPenn(?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ssm38

Orthodontics Resident
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been incredibly fortunate and have been offered acceptances at multiple schools. I've narrowed my list down to these four schools.

Are there any students from these schools that could give me insight into what its like being a student there? For example, are there enough patients to complete your clinical requirements to graduate on time (worried about BU here)? Is there an advantage of going to a P/F school vs a graded school? How difficult would it be to pursue a specialty out of that school? Are there any aspects of the school that you don't like? What are the exams like (block exams?) What do you think about the location? How much time do you spend studying -do you have time to socialize/exercise? Do classmates collaborate with one another or are they super competitive with each other? If I wanted to stay in general practice, would I get enough clinical experience to become a competent general practitioner (worried about BU and UPenn here)?

Sorry for all of these questions but I'm having an incredibly difficult time choosing between these schools. I'm not entirely sure if I want to specialize but would like to keep the option open! Financially, all of the schools will roughly cost the same over the course of 4 years, living expenses included.

4 year costs for the following schools (including living)
BU: 320K (w/ scholarship)
UConn: 310K (New England)
UMichigan: 340K (OOS w/ scholarship)
UPenn: Waiting to see if I get a scholarship, if not, I will not go here

Also if you are not currently in dental school, which school would you choose and why? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

UConn and Michigan have stronger research than Penn and BU.

UConn wins because it's cheaper.

All schools train competency. Particularly at UMich though, I'd think it would have an involved clinical program.

20k is a wash (in DS numbers), so I don't think the "it's cheaper" argument applies in full force. Prices will depend on how you are living, if you use a car, etc. Don't let 10k steer you away from a school.

Also, I believe UMich offers in-state tuition switches. I would look into that.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Uconn if you don't mind living on top of the hill. Umich if you cant

I've been incredibly fortunate and have been offered acceptances at multiple schools. I've narrowed my list down to these four schools.

Are there any students from these schools that could give me insight into what its like being a student there? For example, are there enough patients to complete your clinical requirements to graduate on time (worried about BU here)? Is there an advantage of going to a P/F school vs a graded school? How difficult would it be to pursue a specialty out of that school? Are there any aspects of the school that you don't like? What are the exams like (block exams?) What do you think about the location? How much time do you spend studying -do you have time to socialize/exercise? Do classmates collaborate with one another or are they super competitive with each other? If I wanted to stay in general practice, would I get enough clinical experience to become a competent general practitioner (worried about BU and UPenn here)?

Sorry for all of these questions but I'm having an incredibly difficult time choosing between these schools. I'm not entirely sure if I want to specialize but would like to keep the option open! Financially, all of the schools will roughly cost the same over the course of 4 years, living expenses included.

4 year costs for the following schools (including living)
BU: 320K (w/ scholarship)
UConn: 310K (New England)
UMichigan: 340K (OOS w/ scholarship)
UPenn: Waiting to see if I get a scholarship, if not, I will not go here

Also if you are not currently in dental school, which school would you choose and why? Thanks!!

I cannot speak for the other schools but at least for Uconn there are plenty of patients to complete requirements, no one here is worried about graduating or getting patients. I say the advantage of P/F is if you are the type of person who works there best no matter what. If you are the type to challenge yourself to learn and do not feel the need to compete with others then P/F is great. It takes the competition out of exams and for me it always helped me learn better. I have never once studied by myself for an exam and I ask other people for help all the time. We have a great record in terms of specializing. OMFS and Ortho have been matching incredibly well as examples. Basically if you want to specialize after our program you def can without an issue, and if you want a GPR my classmates have had tons of interviews and great success in that too. Are exams are after 10 weeks of material, they are extremely long and tiring but they are only one day and the force you to truely learn and master the material. You study the entire time for the 10 weeks and the exam questions are all integrated. Farmington is a really nice area and I think CT has a lot to offer. The only thing I will say is if you want to move to a city then I would not recommend here. With that said I think Farmington is a great balance and when you have a free weekend you are pretty centrally located to everything.

For studying, when I was a first year I went to the gym at 7 and got to school at 8 and stayed till 6pm. It worked for me. I took the three weekends off after and exam and then added Saturdays 9-5 and Sunday mornings I met with my study group from 8-1 ish. Some people needed way less time then that and some needed more.

The classes get very close, most weekends first year we all hung out, either the bars in west hartford or in hartford. There is all the Uconn sporting events as well. After an exam there is always a post exam party which is cool because all the years tend to get together.

You will come out of our program as an excellent beginning general dentist. I would highly recommend at least doing a residency mostly because you wont be quick enough but there are people every year who go straight to practice. From what my friends at other schools say (not just specifically from your list), it sounds like we do not have the competition that other schools have but I only know by word of mouth and no one really experiences two dental schools so its hard to judge.

Those are all excellent programs and you will be fine no matter where you go. Also the prices are so similar that I would take money out of the equation at this point. Did you calculate the fact that its only NE price first year? I thought my roommate calculated like $260K or something. Anyways good luck with your decision and congrats on getting into dental schools!

Reactions: 1 user
All schools train competency. Particularly at UMich though, I'd think it would have an involved clinical program.

20k is a wash (in DS numbers), so I don't think the "it's cheaper" argument applies in full force. Prices will depend on how you are living, if you use a car, etc. Don't let 10k steer you away from a school.

Also, I believe UMich offers in-state tuition switches. I would look into that.

Can you source the in-state tuition switch? I was told at interview there was no in-state tuition switch. EDIT: Referring to Michigan

Umich does not let you switch residency.

I choose Uconn.

Trying to decide between UConn and UMichigan right now. Direct costs over 4 years for UConn ~187K, UMichigan is ~215K. I don't think a 30K difference over 4 years is that big of a difference between the two schools.