UConn dental students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bkwash

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys i have an interview at Uconn and i wanted to get some student feedback about the school.

1. how do you guys like farmington?
2. is the grading pass fail? what % of students fail?
3. any stats on specialty match rate would be appreciated

thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I'm a fourth year at UConn. I can answer your first two questions. I think Farmington is beautiful, but keep in mind that I am 37 and on the verge of becoming a mother. The younger people in my class certainly find stuff to do, but it's pretty quiet up here. The grading is pass/fail which I think is a godsend. I'd say in first year probably 5-10% of the class fails, depending on the class. As for your last question, I think we have an excellent reputation for getting people into specialties, but ask again after specialty matches.

bkwash said:
hey guys i have an interview at Uconn and i wanted to get some student feedback about the school.

thanks!!

Hello,

I'm a fourth year at UConn. I can answer your first two questions. I think Farmington is beautiful, but keep in mind that I am 37 and on the verge of becoming a mother. The younger people in my class certainly find stuff to do, but it's pretty quiet up here. The grading is pass/fail which I think is a godsend. I'd say in first year probably 5-10% of the class fails, depending on the class. As for your last question, I think we have an excellent reputation for getting people into specialties, but ask again after specialty matches.

bkwash said:

thanks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the reply, keep them coming!

bkwash said:

thanks!!

Farmington (and all of Connecticut, for that matter) is a bore. The grading is P/F, but do not let that fool you in the least bit. There is still a ton of competition and they find "other" ways to rank you. Most people do not specialize. Most people go into an AEGD or a GPR after graduation.

1. Farmington is a quiet suburb which is good because there will not be too many things to distract you from your education. But we are close enough to Hartford and major cities like Boston and NYC where you can definitely get away when you like.

2. % that fail? Individual exams or the whole year? A few people fail for any given exam (med school exam) I am sure. I could be wrong as I really have no idea how other people do. But as far as the whole year (any given year), I believe that is far and few between. Pass/fail is a Godsend.

3. As far as specialties go. I know for the past decade almost, UConn has been sending people into their choice of residency programs. Just do well on the boards and you should be ok since we do not have class rank programs really only look at board scores.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Unlike others posting here (and I respect your opinons), I have had a great experience here at UConn. It is hard at times but so is anything worthwhile. I believe you'd get a top notch education at 1/4 the price!

classes are totally doable

time, as you'll see regardless of where you go, will be aplenty and it'll be up to you to be top 5% or to have a great time, or both if that's possible

i'm from los angeles and find that being between boston and nyc while living in what i and others i have heard (ie family and friends' parents) call "bel air" is ideal for me-- it's got everything in a small(er) community and you're a couple hours from two, mind you great cities

la to vegas- small plane ride

hartford to dc/miami/va/nc/etc- small plane ride

although, i must say that southwest's nonstop flight from bradley to vegas is a godsend ;)

don't be fooled-- this place is hardcore

you'll eventually be living in one of the most advanced hospitals in the world

AUG2UAG said:
classes are totally doable

Correct. Classes are "totally doable." Wait until it is about more than just classes.