UCONN vs Stony Brook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jaa_

OMFS Resident
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently accepted to both UCONN and SBU. I love both schools. Both had a great atmosphere, friendly faculty, have similar curriculums including classes with the med students as well as a small class size (48 vs 46).

I am IS for SBU and OS for UCONN. Cost difference would be about 30k over the four years (not per year) if I claim residency in CT after 1 year.

Can anyone give some input on this?

Members don't see this ad.

It's a win win. I'd go with Stony since it'll get you to the same place for less money (100% match rate)

Reactions: 1 user
Since they're almost identical schools (with a relatively small cost difference), which one did you enjoy more and could see yourself being happier at? That's the one to attend.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, Stony Brooks 100% match rate isn’t good enough to specialize from :rolleyes:
Depends if it's 2/2 or 10/10. 100% doesn't mean much versus absolute numbers, and I would take a school with 7/10 over one with 2/2.

Reactions: 1 users
It was 3/3 ortho and 3/3 omfs for stony last year. Uconn was also 3/3 omfs, dunno about ortho since I didn't ask about that.
and Sbus class size is 44, Uconn was around 50 last time I asked.

Go wherever you feel comfortable. I'm a strong believer it's not the school, it's you that's the major factor in specializing(if you want to).

Yeah, Stony Brooks 100% match rate isn’t good enough to specialize from :rolleyes:

Any school that boasts a '100% match rate' is including GPR/AEGD to inflate its numbers. The match rate of the specialties is the more relevant metric (which should still be pretty high out of Stony Brook).

3 ortho 3 omfs 2 perio 1 prostho and 5 peds. So about 25% of the class went on to specialties.

The only thing I know about Uconn is they had 3 going into omfs last year.

So there's the info about stony.

I feel that the facilities and technology at UConn are more advanced than at Stony Brook. Additionally, UConn has zero competition with its P/F structure. Is there a collaborative environment at Stony Brook? I know there is the Cad/Cam machines, but UConn has all these VR machines and brand new facilities coming in phases. The question is...how important are these "luxuries" in obtaining a dental education? Is it worth the 30k extra?

Since you interviewed there you probably have this information in your packet... but for others, Class of 2017: 6 AEGD, 1 endo, 26 GPR, 3 OMFS, 6 ortho, 1 ped, 1 prosth. (Class of 2016 was 7/7 OMFS :O). Many facilities are new. Class size varies year to year but is generally 45-50.

I felt like they have a lot of the same strengths, except UConn is P/F, Team Based Learning, Better residency placement (which is saying a lot, because SB is strong in this area), and in a more remote location.

Hasn't Uconn recently changed the program significantly? I'd consider that a factor as well. I'd maybe choose SB for that reason alone.

Plus you'd be closer to friends/family and be near NYC.

Hasn't Uconn recently changed the program significantly? I'd consider that a factor as well. I'd maybe choose SB for that reason alone.

Why would you choose SBU for that reason alone? This would be the 3rd year of the new curriculum

Why would you choose SBU for that reason alone? This would be the 3rd year of the new curriculum

Too new for me personally f0r the same price. And team based learning? Just give me my lectures and exams and let me go home.

Im not a fan of TBL. Also, p/f puts more emphasis on your CBSE compared to a graded school like Stony (which is unranked, too). I heard it’s not +/- at Stony, so you just need a 90 for an A. If it was me, I’d pick Stony Brook.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone have anymore pros/cons for either school? I am in a similar situation and am having a tough time deciding which school to attend. I am IS for SBU, but it seems that UConn may be cheaper if I do OOS for 1 year and IS for 3 years.

This is probably the closest comparison I have seen so I see why this is a tough decision.

First I would say go with your gut. If you felt on interview day that you liked the people at Stony Brook or UConn more then go with that.

Price is going to be pretty consistent at either school.

UConn has TBL which can be a pro/con for some people. I personally think TBL teaches a valuable lesson in how to become an independent learner. Plus TBL is only for BMS which is three days a week for just over 1 year (in the grand scheme of things it's not that much time)

I saw people talking about match rate. This year UConn for Phase 1 has 1/1 endo, 6/6 pros and 5/5 ortho. Phase II happens in Jan so we will know more then. Each year we have had virtually 100% match rate in all specialties and gpr/aegd but I am sure Stony brook is similar.

I think class sizes are pretty similar as well. Uconn is just about 50 students.

UConn is 100% p/f which is absolutely amazing. I saw someone say it puts more emphasis on things like the CBSE or ADAT which is true but at the same time we do extremely well on those tests so it takes a lot of stress out of the day-to-day dental school.

UConn has brand new clinics - don't know if that should be a deciding factor tho but its a bonus.

One difference based on talking to Stony brook students is they have much more requirements then UConn in terms of clinic. This again is going to be a pro/con for different people. One way of looking at it is you get to do more and potentially become better/faster at whatever the procedure is. My take on it is I do what I need to do to feel comfortable and confident with each procedure without having to do so many that I am just stressed out (not saying that SB requirements are overwhelming I have no idea). Doing more of something does not always correlate with being better. Your opinion on this will probably change based on your goals in general.

Do you plan on doing GP or have a specific specialty in mind? I think that will help me provide you with more info.

Either way, both great schools, very similar programs

This is probably the closest comparison I have seen so I see why this is a tough decision.

First I would say go with your gut. If you felt on interview day that you liked the people at Stony Brook or UConn more then go with that.

Price is going to be pretty consistent at either school.

UConn has TBL which can be a pro/con for some people. I personally think TBL teaches a valuable lesson in how to become an independent learner. Plus TBL is only for BMS which is three days a week for just over 1 year (in the grand scheme of things it's not that much time)

I saw people talking about match rate. This year UConn for Phase 1 has 1/1 endo, 6/6 pros and 5/5 ortho. Phase II happens in Jan so we will know more then. Each year we have had virtually 100% match rate in all specialties and gpr/aegd but I am sure Stony brook is similar.

I think class sizes are pretty similar as well. Uconn is just about 50 students.

UConn is 100% p/f which is absolutely amazing. I saw someone say it puts more emphasis on things like the CBSE or ADAT which is true but at the same time we do extremely well on those tests so it takes a lot of stress out of the day-to-day dental school.

UConn has brand new clinics - don't know if that should be a deciding factor tho but its a bonus.

One difference based on talking to Stony brook students is they have much more requirements then UConn in terms of clinic. This again is going to be a pro/con for different people. One way of looking at it is you get to do more and potentially become better/faster at whatever the procedure is. My take on it is I do what I need to do to feel comfortable and confident with each procedure without having to do so many that I am just stressed out (not saying that SB requirements are overwhelming I have no idea). Doing more of something does not always correlate with being better. Your opinion on this will probably change based on your goals in general.

Do you plan on doing GP or have a specific specialty in mind? I think that will help me provide you with more info.

Either way, both great schools, very similar programs
Thank you for the feedback!