UConn?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chemguync

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody hear from UConn lately? Are they still reviewing files? Any spots left open? I interviewed back in early Jan and got an update email last month that they should be deciding on me about now. I haven't seen anyone posting about them lately, so I wonder what's going on up there.

Members don't see this ad.

They've been mighty quiet. I interviewed in November and have yet to hear anything.

I interviewed in early February and just got a waitlist letter in the mail today. I am in the middle tier. They said not to call about my relative rank on the the waitlist until after June 1st. I am an out of state applicant.

Good luck to everyone else.

Members don't see this ad :)
They are just finishing up ranking everyone in the waitlist I believe. The waitlist has three tiers. It usually works that first tier has a good shot, middle tier maybe, thirs tier they won''t get to you.

Good luck to all.

So what happens if your an MSTP applicant, you get rejected for MSTP, and your file is forwarded to the regular MD program? I haven't been rejected for MSTP yet, but I wonder if I will have any sort of chance at all if I get a rejection in, say, May.

I don't know how MSTP works in terms of whether or not they consider you for a regular slot. i know someone who originally applied MSTP, was rejected and retook the MCAT, who was then accepted as a regular applicant.

Good luck!

Good luck to you, ncalcate! By the way, when was your letter dated/mailed out? I interviewed in Nov., was told in Jan. I would hear about now, but still no word. I'm in Boston, so Hartford mail usually only takes a day. Hmmm....

And beanbean, a question for you. _If_ my letter ever comes :oops: , telling me what's going on, when's the soonest people start getting in off the waitlist? Is there any movement before May 15? Or how soon after May 15 do people being to hear? I only ask since my significant other is applying to law school, and the longer it takes to hear, the harder his juggling multiple spots will become as we attempt to coordinate geography. So stressful! :scared:

I was accepted from the post-bacc program and we interviewed on May and were accepted in June to start in mid-August so I don't have personal experience with when the list movement occurs.

It really depends on when the hear back from people who have outstanding acceptances. If you get a waitlist letter it will indicate which tier you are in in. As I mentioned before, top third has a good chance and middle third is a maybe. I can't even tell you how many people in my class were accepted off the waitlist vs. after interview. Nobody cares once you start how you got in! I do remember that quite a few names changed on the class list between mid-June and mid-August.

Best of luck to you. By the way, my acceptance letter was thin -just one page. So don't worry if it isn't a thick envelope.

chopin226 said:
Good luck to you, ncalcate! By the way, when was your letter dated/mailed out? I interviewed in Nov., was told in Jan. I would hear about now, but still no word. I'm in Boston, so Hartford mail usually only takes a day. Hmmm....

The date on my letter said 3/31. But it didn't arrive at home (a Boston suburb) until Friday 4/9. Good luck.

Well I got on the top 3rd of the waitlist. Is it true they usually make it thru the top third? I'm really counting on getting in there, but am wondering whetherI shoudl go ahead and plan on going to my state school. I don't wanna end up in august w/ no where to live cuz i didn't get into UConn.

They usually make it through the top third, but it all depends on how many of their outstanding invites accept or reject. I would think they could give you a better idea after May 15th.

Good luck! I love it here but I am very glad there are only 7 weeks left of M1.

Deirdre

I interviewed in March. I've been placed on the waitlist in the top third. The letter came in April 14, 2004.

So, how competitive are UConn grads in the match? I'm interested in anesth. and rads, and am wondering what expectations to have if I go to UConn, provided my boards and LORs and all that good stuff are competitive.

Thanks for the replies everyone. In the top third of the waitlist, so here's hoping! :) Anyone know how soon after May 15 people on the waitlist start hearing? Or does anyone ever find out before May 15?

Don't worry if you don't hear anything immediately. How fast things move depends on how many people who are holding acceptances give them up - you can't predict it.

I don't have UConn's match list for this year, but I wouldn't be concerned. The attendings and faculty I have met are very supportive of med students and you should be able to obtain very good LORs. Get to know people and get involved in interest groups during your first and second year. You can design your own electives to give you exposure in your areas of interest.