Uconn!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toostressed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
So, I've looked on the interview feedback and a lot of people say that the day starts out with an introduction where you're told to tell something about yourself or tell a story about yourself. I know there are a lot of ways to answer this but I was wondering how most of you who interviewed answered this and how your fellow interviewees approached this questions. I want to get an idea of what they are looking to get out of our answer. THANK YOU!!

Members don't see this ad.

the way it was phrased to our group was "telling fact". And the dean takes out a copy of your application to flip through while you introduce yourself and give your telling fact. Fortunately, all of my interviews were really low key and that was probably the most stressful part of the day.

Hi everyone,
So, I've looked on the interview feedback and a lot of people say that the day starts out with an introduction where you're told to tell something about yourself or tell a story about yourself. I know there are a lot of ways to answer this but I was wondering how most of you who interviewed answered this and how your fellow interviewees approached this questions. I want to get an idea of what they are looking to get out of our answer. THANK YOU!!
Hi Toostressed,
Looks like we are a pair, weary and stressed:smuggrin: :smuggrin: .
It looks like that we are in the same boat, applying to Uconn and maybe Yale and schools around Connecticut. Did you hear anything from Uconn yet... interview date?
I am a not-traditional applicant with a Ph.D.
WA

Members don't see this ad :)
whatever you do, don't worry about the UConn interview. The whole day is really really laid back, and everyone there is really nice. The dean is a great guy who genuinely wants you to have a good time while you're there. As for the story about yourself at the beginning of the day, when I went about a month ago it was just name, where you're from, where you went/go to college, and one thing that makes you unique. it doesn't have to be a big long complicated story, just a fact.

of course, my experience may be a little different than yours... i was offered an interview on a saturday (the first time they've ever done that), which was a little wierd because there weren't that many students wandering the halls. However, the admissions office was still able to get 25-30 students to volunteer their time on a weekend to interview, chat with us, and lead tours!

whatever you do, don't worry about the UConn interview. The whole day is really really laid back, and everyone there is really nice. The dean is a great guy who genuinely wants you to have a good time while you're there. As for the story about yourself at the beginning of the day, when I went about a month ago it was just name, where you're from, where you went/go to college, and one thing that makes you unique. it doesn't have to be a big long complicated story, just a fact.

of course, my experience may be a little different than yours... i was offered an interview on a saturday (the first time they've ever done that), which was a little wierd because there weren't that many students wandering the halls. However, the admissions office was still able to get 25-30 students to volunteer their time on a weekend to interview, chat with us, and lead tours!

I'd like to think that it says a lot about a school when 25-30 students come out on a Saturday to help out. Especially since 10 of us are third years working 60+ hours/week and studying for shelf exams.

Secondly, you are not at all evaluated on the morning meeting. So you could say your interesting story was killing small children and it most likely wouldn't impact your decision. Plus if your life is so boring you can't tell on interesting fact/story about yourself maybe you should take a year off and do something with your life!