UCSB VS UCR

D

deleted673284

Hi everyone!

I found out that I was accepted to UCSB which came as a real shock as It's become more and more of a reach as SD, Davis, AND Irvine didn't happen. But while UCSB is getting better in terms of prestige and US News ranked them higher this year than Irvine, SD, and Davis, I'm having to pick between UCR and UCSB so I'd like some guidance on which is best for pre-med and which helped more for all of you in terms of getting into med school.

UCR PROS
  • Close to Home (2 hrs ish)
  • Med School (newish, idk if i wanna stay in Riverside for 8 years for med school as well but the fact there are opportunities for pre-med students like shadowing and volunteering is awesome)
  • Pre-Med Advising is good I've heard
  • I got Chancellors!
  • My major is BA in Neuroscience in CHASS but i'm tryna change it to BS in Neuroscience or CMDB CNAS
  • no Gunner mentality like in Cal, La, or SD
  • ASIANS!!!!! (my pplllllllllllll), not much in terms of a party school, parties concentrated and localized
  • Thomas Haider program
UCR CONS
  • Close to home (It has pros and cons)
  • More Pre-Meds so a little more competition for opportunities
  • I'm in CHASS rn
UCSB CONS
  • More research oriented than UCR (or at least I've heard)
  • Great opportunities in and around Isla Vista
  • Isla Vista is more Pretty than Riverside
  • I'm not in Honors right off the bat but the Health Sciences Honors Program has epic advising and helping to gain an internship (the Santa Barbara County Public Health Department internship caught my eye) and u can apply into the Honors program in between your sophomore year
  • Less Pre-Meds->More Opportunities
  • Less Asians->Less gunner mentality
  • Prestige over UCR
UCSB CONS
  • I'm an Introvert, so the party scene scares me
  • I'm Muslim and want to adhere to my faith, and the party scene scares me
  • I'm Asian and I like to be with my quiet, introspectional, geeky Asian brothas and the party scene scares me
  • Did I say the party scene scares me?
  • I can't even take my parents to Spring Insight this year as it coincides with Deltopia and I don't want my parents seeing that
  • Lack of Med School
  • SB's Prestige supposedly comes from it's amazing af Physics dept and Math dept and nothing else so shoot.
If there's any cons with SB, I guess it's the party school stereotype it gets classified under. Are any of you on here at SB and more of the reserved, quiet type and able to handle SB or is it just hell? Are there people at SB who are like me and are more introverted? What is there to do in Isla Vista on weekends that doesn't involve consuming large amounts of alcohol and shooting ping pong balls into cups all night?

And are my assumptions about how SB has great opportunities even without a med school correct and also the prestige not coming from SB's Bio program but their Physics/Math dept?

Ik the go to response for threads like these is.....think about cost first. Cost isn't an issue though as i'm getting a ton of grant and scholarship aid for SB even without Chancellor's Invite. At the end of the day, SB seems amazing due to the location, breadth of opportunities, Honors program (which i can apply into), and less competitive nature but the party scene schtick scares me. UCR's close to home, has a med school, and has great opportunities for pre-meds.

In all your opinions' what should I do? Thank You!

Members don't see this ad.

Seems like you care a lot about what people think of you. I'd go to UCR. I went there the other day and all I saw were pure asians. If those are your type of people then don't hesitate.

UCR has its medical school. You should be OK if you do well in undergrad.

Ucr. They cater more to premeds and help them get into their med school. Plus, you get inland ties and can now apply to their med school!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile