UCSB CCS vs University of Nevada Reno

PowderSlayer

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got my decisions from all the universities I applied to. I got accepted into UCSB’s CCS Biochemistry/Chemistry program and I got accepted into UNR’s Honors Program as a Biochemistry and Molecular Biology major. Unfortunately I didn’t get in anywhere else since the admission cycle was rough for everyone. I want to set myself up for the best chance to go to a good medical school. I would appreciate any input you guys have.

UCSB CCS
-Expensive
-Extremely good program
-Many courses have no grades by nature of the program so I’m worried this may affect my med school app
-Research is baked into my curriculum

UNR
-Cheaper
-Gets me out of California’s surplus of premeds
-Easier to stand out with a less competitive school
-Medical school that typically favors UNR students

Members don't see this ad.

I would most likely go with the cheaper one given they both have ample opportunities. I don't know anything about either school, so I can't help there, but it seems like if they both have med schools they should have adequate research/clinical opportunities in the area. I think my vote is for UNR if you don't mind being away from home.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm biased coz i went to ucsb and its so gorgeous. I have friends in ccs and they absolutely love it (math and music not biochem though). It's hella expensive but if you wanna have fun and a great education go there! goodluck on your decision and journey to whatever medical profession you want to follow!

Reactions: 1 user