ucsd A pool

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qdefiant

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i just dove into ucsd's acceptable pool last week ... I was hoping for better news ... an acceptance would have been nice and the I would have been done with this rediculous app process. So any one else is swimming in the pool with me, and what are your numbers ... mine, mcat 35, gpa 3.65,

Members don't see this ad.

hey dude
I hate to be the person who asks this but....when did you interview?

yeah- when DID you interview... you get em bounty!
p

Members don't see this ad :)
i interviewed on 10/14, my app was in fairly early, but I guess the early applicant pool is pretty competitive, i just hope that they wont throw my file away and look at it again until may.

hmmm i interviewed after you but my stats are lower so I am sure I will be joiining you in the swimming pool...

Bounty :)

at least u guys got interviewed, i got dissed and put in the hold for interview category =(. been in there for almost three months.

ahhhh yes, i am a master of predictions. qdefiant, i am in the pool with you - let the waiting begin.

Hmmmm i feel like since we're gonna be swimming for so long, we should make it a skinnydipping pool!

i'm in it too

Same here. Time to tread water...

sorry to hear that the a-list seems like a popular destination. I'm also predicting i'll be there too, on the basis that my numbers are definitely lower that the above post....

To all the A-list people:
1. When did you hear back from them after the interview?

dirty,
I interviewed 10/21 and got the letter in the mail on Nov 23rd.

When are we suppose to know the final results? May time frame?

I interviewed on 11/12 and received an email on 11/26 to call them because they had good news for me!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey folks,

um, I'm new to this forum, so bear w/ me. Congratulations Trix, and sorry to hear that some of you were put on the A list. I just wanted give you all a word of encouragement and to tell everyone here that stats don't mean as much as people think.

My stats aren't that impressive (only a 30 on mcat), but I was accepted really early (Oct 30), so the Admissions Committee looks at other things too.

Actually, I thought for a while that my acceptance was a mistake. But they have yet to call me back!

welcome ttam, congrats on the early acceptance....when did you interview at sd....i'm just crossing my fingers because i had a great first interview but a mediocre second interview. Gosh i hate the wait

dirtybob

I interviewed on 11/12 and received A-list notification via snail mail on 12/2. I'm not expecting to hear much from them until around March or April (I searched for last year's threads and they didn't seem to move much till then).

You can never tell how these admissions decisions go. I had one great interview and another pretty good one, but got the A-list. Elsewhere, I had a really bad interview but got accepted. Just hope for the best and never give up on your chances!

Good luck,
PD

yeah i thought both of my interviews at UCSD went well. Hmm doh.
Congratulations to all of you who got in! :)

Thanks dirtybob. I interviewed on 10/07 (I think) and got the good news on 10/29. Funny thing is that I thought I totally bombed my first interview ( I got a little carried away and felt I was a bit confrontational), but I guess he liked that.

It's funny how much of a crapshoot this whole thing is. Some interviews (Mayo), you think you totally ace and get declined and others... Who knows what admission committees and interviewees really look for?

Hi all my fellow UCSD acceptable pool people!

(I think I will make a little list of all of us, feel free to add your name if I have missed you.)

UCSD A POOL
bounty
qdefiant
smid
pallhaco doce
khan

Ok so I was put in the pool a while ago like many of you were (3 months maybe? wow:()

Anyways, I'm wondering if you guys have taken any action, written letters etc...I haven't but am thinking about it. That's about as motivated as I am right now. Hehe. :)

No - have not done any thing !!!!

I just received my UCSD acceptable pool notification 1/13 after interviewing 12/16--I'm glad I'm not swimming alone. My stats are not super stellar (MCAT 33, GPA 3.72), and I had one great interview with a 3rd year student and one lackluster interview with faculty (a pathologist who hadn't read my file and didn't seem to know who I was--there was a giant microscope on the desk between us, perhaps I should have asked to look at some slides...?) I haven't written any letters to UCSD, and I've decided to wait a bit until I hear from UCSF or UCD (both post-interview)first.

anyone else hear from ucsd? i interviewed before arginine, and no word yet, so i'm thinking i might be swimming in this pool.

shameless bump

has anyone not heard anything from ucsd post-interview? i interviewed early december and so far i have heard of people being accepted who interviewed later than that and being waitlisted who interviewed later than that. but i have yet to hear anything. i even called 2 days ago and was told i have been reviewed but no decision has been made. what the heck does that mean? has anyone been rejected post-interview? it seems like either acceptance or a-list based on this website. thanks for your help anybody.

i have finally found my way into the acceptable pool, and am so excited about it i could puke. oh well, better than a rejection i guess. has anyone in the pool heard any word from them?

I interviewed way back in mid october and still swimming ... hope I won't drown

does anyone know if the waitlist is ranked? can we find out where we stand?

Originally posted by gogiants
does anyone know if the waitlist is ranked? can we find out where we stand?

I believe Resnick said that it is ranked, however they will not let you know where you stand.

i'm also still swimming...and i have a feeling we all will be for a while....blah...

so when did people started to get off the a-pool last year?

Originally posted by qdefiant
so when did people started to get off the a-pool last year?

I looked at last year's waitlist movement thread and this is what was down for UCSD:

UCSD: 4/16, 4/18, 5/20, 5/22 (2), 5/23, 6/13, 6/19, 7/3, 7/08

So it looks like the earliest we will be hearing is mid-april...argh...

have we all introduced ourselves already? :)

just want to remind everyone to post here immediately if you get off the a-pool ... aka " bump"

Congratulations!!!!

How did you hear from them? email or smail

I wish! No, I was just checking see if anyone else has heard anything. :)

have any of you guys written letters of interest?

ucsd adcoms meets every other mondays, so there might be people in the apool getting out by the end of today, or maybe next monday...I will be checking my email...good luck to you guys.

i've also been swimming since early february (interviewed 1/16). i would suggest writing letters of interest/intent with the stronger your intent be increasing your chances of getting in. it seems like they send a lot of peeps swimming and maybe gauging applicant interest is their way of determining who is accepted.

Hi Bounty,

I haven't talked to you since the hosting at UCSD. I hope you'll get off the waitlist so that you can join our school. We'd be honored and happy to have you as our fellow classmate. I wish there's something I can do to convince the adcom that you are fantastic!

I wish I can go up to Dr. Resnik and urge him to accept you from the list. Although, I think that would be inappropriate.

I wonder!

Hello all,
I have mixed feelings knowing I am not the only one swimming. I just got my acceptance to UC DAvis and I am very happy about it.
Still my top choice is UCSD so I shall keep paddling.

if ucsd is your first choice, tell them you got into davis but that you still want to go to ucsd. i know a guy who did that and he got in.

you think that is a good idea?
Some people say that medschools prefer applicants that have not been accepted to other schools. I keep hearing different stories.

Originally posted by fusionid
you think that is a good idea?
Some people say that medschools prefer applicants that have not been accepted to other schools. I keep hearing different stories.

it is definitely a good idea to express continued and strong interest in a school. Knowing that you already have an acceptance will show them that you are not just begging to get into med school, any school, but that you particularly favor theirs. I would contact them. good luck ;)

I called them yesterday. The man that I talked thanked me for comunicating this to them. Then he said he would pass on the information.
fingers crossed

so is UCSD all you people's first choice?
What impression of the school did you get? How do you feel about the negative energy surrounding it?

Cambrian
Thanks so much for your kind words and for helping me when I was down in San Diego! You're so sweet! I am keeping my fingers crossed too. Say hi to Moleculo for me! :)

its a tough call. as an undergrad at ucsd i heard a lot of not super positive things about the med school (about students being really depressed, etc.). and now that i have friends there all i hear from them is how stressed they are. i know stress is a pretty common thing in med school but they seem more so. so in terms of the feeling of the school in general i actually liked usc better. but ucsd has the awesome location, great tuition, great reputation, and plus i have a bunch of friends down there already. i think the tuition part alone is enough to make it so that i would choose it over usc, but at the same time i feel like i'm in a pretty good place because i wouldn't be totally devastated if i end up not getting in.

UCSD is all about location. I was an undergrad at UCSD too. I live in SD now and love the city. The weather is awesome and the fact that the campus is so close to the beach.
However, after all my interviews so it happened that it was the last place I visited. I noticed a lot more negativity among students and surrounding the school itself. But the fact that I already live here in San Diego and that because for that matter it would be so much cheaper, this is my first choice. In three words, location, location, location.
I interviewed and got accepted in UCDavis and I am wait listed for UCLA. I am also wait listed for Einstein and Cornell. I know this schools showed "happier students" than UCSD but location beats the others. That is for me and because my family lives here.

If you don't live in SD you might find yourself happier somewhere else. when I visited the campus found the same trend like in UCSD undergrad, competive people all around. I thought for a sec it was just myself BUT....
As I was walking towards my car after the interview was over, I saw a first year and asked me "is this your interview?" I said yeah this is my first choice. She said "Oh really, are u sure? I dont like it too much myself. Did you interview somewhere else" I said yeah at UCLA, davis, Irvine. Then she said "I would kill to have gone to UCLA"

Of course take everything for a grain of salt but the fact is that she didn't look happy. Other students kept saying "people keep saying things about this school but it is not that bad, you get used to it"

Like I said I want to be close to my family and I already survived 4 years of undergrad.

Hope this helps!

I got off the pool yesterday, email from dr. resnik asking to call for info on app. ... good luck to others still swimming
q

hey qdefiant,

congrats on the acceptance. just wondering - did you send in anything after your acceptable pool notification to add to your file? Did you express an interest in the school, or just let things happen? Thanks.