UCSD Fall 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
wow. how can people from East hear before us?

Well the UCs are coordinating so if you had 2 UC interviews then you need to wait for both probably. Second, some applicants are obvious picks. In-state have less tuition and stiffer competition.

Members don't see this ad.

Well the UCs are coordinating so if you had 2 UC interviews then you need to wait for both probably. Second, some applicants are obvious picks. In-state have less tuition and stiffer competition.
yes the UCs are coordinating and if you had 2 interviews, they give you a longer time to decide. well, they know when the other school sends out decisions, so they give you 2 weeks from that date, so almost 6 weeks!

when do you have to give your decision to ucsd?

They actually gave us a pretty long time to decide. One of my other schools wants me to decide by next week- so I'll probably make my final decision before that deadline. =) What school are you leaning towards? I think its funny we have three different schools that we could be P1s together at.

Members don't see this ad :)

They actually said the percentage of people who apply in state and get accepted is the same percentage of people who apply out of state and get accepted.

I got my acceptance letter on Monday 2/22 and i live in North California

Last edited:

Congratulations! So I guess I will know my status by the end of this week. Hope that's a good news.

Are you passing up unc to go to ucsd, even if it will cost you more than twice as much?
Do you want to create a fb for ucsd since you have made up your mind? :)

Are you passing up unc to go to ucsd, even if it will cost you more than twice as much?
Do you want to create a fb for ucsd since you have made up your mind? :)

I am sorry...but what is unc?

xangelx, are you from NC? I agree- we definitely need to start a FB group =)

They actually said the percentage of people who apply in state and get accepted is the same percentage of people who apply out of state and get accepted.

That's just statistics. Notice there are two percentages. They must be talking about separate populations. Out of state accepted out of all out of state applications. It couldn't be all applicants because public institutions must accept a majority in state.

I still haven't heard from UCSD. Interviewed 1/16

Members don't see this ad :)
Officially going to UCSD!!! =) Who else is going to be in the class of 2013?!

I spoke with a representative from UCSD and they said adcoms are meeting today, Monday, and Tuesday. She said that the bulk of the letters have not been sent out yet, and that they'll be sent out within the next two weeks.

I spoke with a representative from UCSD and they said adcoms are meeting today, Monday, and Tuesday. She said that the bulk of the letters have not been sent out yet, and that they'll be sent out within the next two weeks.

Thank you for informing us.

Can those who are accepted please posts your stats.

Can those who are accepted please posts your stats.

Bachelor's degree in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Science GPA (3.790)
Math (4.0)
4 months of In-patient pharmacy experience
2 years of research experience
some other extracurricular experience

Thanks for researching and sharing! Do you know if they meant the bulk of acceptance letters or the bulk of all letters to those who interviewed (acceptances, rejections, waitlists)? But I guess we'll find out soon either way.

Thanks for researching and sharing! Do you know if they meant the bulk of acceptance letters or the bulk of all letters to those who interviewed (acceptances, rejections, waitlists)? But I guess we'll find out soon either way.

I think it was the latter (bulk of all letters to those who interviewed)...it was never really specified. I tried asking to see how many acceptances were sent out already, but the person did not know that number off the top of their head. The fact that the adcoms are still meeting means that there are still spots available. So we just have to wait patiently I guess.

Just got a rejection letter today (northern CA) from ucsd...I interviewed on 2/7....

Good luck to the rest of you.

Just got a rejection letter today (northern CA) from ucsd...I interviewed on 2/7....

Good luck to the rest of you.
they sent rejection letter already? :scared:
which part of nor cal you are in? san jose or oakland? I hope you will get accepted from other schools.

they sent rejection letter already? :scared:
which part of nor cal you are in? san jose or oakland? I hope you will get accepted from other schools.

I was told by my sibling that I got the letter in today (I am attending school at UCSD right now - awkward huh?), guessed they sent it to my permanent address while the invitation letter was sent to my SD address....

My home is in oakland/hayward area...the rejection actually came at the right time...I don't have to decide which school I should go to now (usc it is!)....

Thanks for your concerns tho...that's very nice of you :thumbup:.

I just got rejected today too. I am from socal. :( Things are not going well for me...they keep getting worse and worse. First an acceptance, then a waitlist/active consideration, then a flat out rejection....

Oh, it looks like most rejected people are from Cal but accepted ones r from East Coast. :(( I'm so scared now. I'm from NorCal.

YAYAYAY! Got my acceptance today dated 2/27.
UCSD Class of 2013, here I come!
^__^

congrat. norcal or socal?
UCSD is your top choice? How about UCSF?

I am in San Diego actually, and UCSD is my top choice!
I am so excited!
Good luck!!!

YAYAYAY! Got my acceptance today dated 2/27.
UCSD Class of 2013, here I come!
^__^

Congrats!! Go Tritons :)
What are you guys doing to celebrate??
UCSD is my first choice too. I wonder if I'll see a letter this week.
Thank you for posting everyone. It's good to know letters are still going out =)

hope the class of 2013 joins the Face Book group!!

I just received mine in the mail today.

3.0/2.9 = Accepted

So it really isn't just about the GPA. I live in SF BTW.

Just waiting on UCSF now.

Good luck to all those still waiting!

My friend got into UCSD today also. His GPA is ~3.9 and he interviewed on 2/6. And he has his heart set out on going there (his #1 choice).

I haven't received anything yet - my stats aren't impressive at all so I'm suprised I wasn't rejected right away.

I only got a 3.5 cum, 3.4 science, no ECs, only 7 months pharm experience

I'm getting stressed out just waiting for the mail everyday bc I know I'm borderline reject or waitlist.

3.0/2.9 = Accepted

Just waiting on UCSF now.

Good luck to all those still waiting!

Wow, how can you make it? Some tips?

3.0/2.9 = Accepted

Right, it's about who you know...;)

I'm not sure if it was a factor but the professor who I did research for also personally knew some of the pharmacy faculty at some of the schools that I applied to. And because he was so supportive of my pursuit of pharmacy school, he not only wrote me a good LOR but also personally contacted some of the faculty members at these schools recommending me. As a result, my professor's name and his research actually came up during my interviews where I was able to talk about my involvement with his research, which was well-received by the interviewers.

I actually don't have too many extracurriculars and no real pharmacy experience. My extracurriculars were pretty much limited to my membership in a social sorority and a bit of volunteering at my local library on some weekends. I did, however, take part in undergraduate research in an animal biology lab during my very last semester in college. I think what made me stand out the most was my ability to translate my critical thinking skills from research to how that can give me an edge in the pharmacy profession on my applications.

It definitely helps to have connections.

As BRUINGOLD mentioned, I think it definitely helped that the professor I did research for was able to speak highly of me in his LOR and that he is quite reputable in the academic circle. In fact, his name came up in most of my interviews and I was able to impress interviewers with my understanding of his research. And because my GPA wasn't too high and I didn't have too many other EC's or volunteer work, I really emphasized on my research for this professor in my application and tried to impress the adcoms with it by really going into great detail. I even tried to link my research to the research interests of faculty members at UCSD and emphasized how I could potentially be an asset to their research group. And of course, I brought this up again during my interview. I wasn't sure it was going to work but since I got in, it apparently did!

Good luck!

As BRUINGOLD mentioned, I think it definitely helped that the professor I did research for was able to speak highly of me in his LOR and that he is quite reputable in the academic circle. In fact, his name came up in most of my interviews and I was able to impress interviewers with my understanding of his research. And because my GPA wasn't too high and I didn't have too many other EC's or volunteer work, I really emphasized on my research for this professor in my application and tried to impress the adcoms with it by really going into great detail. I even tried to link my research to the research interests of faculty members at UCSD and emphasized how I could potentially be an asset to their research group. And of course, I brought this up again during my interview. I wasn't sure it was going to work but since I got in, it apparently did!

Good luck!

Wow. So you had an interview w/ faculty? I had interviewed w/ 2 students, actually one just graduate and one is 4th year student. I have some research experience, and did mention them but I don't know if they are interested in.

Wow. So you had an interview w/ faculty? I had interviewed w/ 2 students, actually one just graduate and one is 4th year student. I have some research experience, and did mention them but I don't know if they are interested in.

Hi krystal, yes I interviewed with one faculty and one 4th year student. They were both very nice. I think the key is to strategically draw their attention to your research in your interview without them asking directly. Most people think the interviewers are in control of the interview but, as an interviewee, you actually have just as much control, if you choose to take it. Although neither interviewer asked about my research directly, I was able to answer another question they asked by giving an example from my research and that pretty much opened the door for me to go into detail about my research. Once I got started talking about my research and how it pertains to the research interests of specific faculty members at UCSD, I could tell they were interested. Finally, I wrapped it up by emphasizing how my research experience could be an asset to these various research groups in the department.

Hi krystal, yes I interviewed with one faculty and one 4th year student. They were both very nice. I think the key is to strategically draw their attention to your research in your interview without them asking directly. Most people think the interviewers are in control of the interview but, as an interviewee, you actually have just as much control, if you choose to take it. Although neither interviewer asked about my research directly, I was able to answer another question they asked by giving an example from my research and that pretty much opened the door for me to go into detail about my research. Once I got started talking about my research and how it pertains to the research interests of specific faculty members at UCSD, I could tell they were interested. Finally, I wrapped it up by emphasizing how my research experience could be an asset to these various research groups in the department.

I see what you mean. I will try to do better with UOP interview. I know I have some interesting to tell, just don't know how to marketing myself. :laugh:

UCSD Acceptance 3.2.08
Received today
Good luck everyone.

3.82 Sci 3.80 Math 3.85 Tot
B.S.

Last edited:
I'm still waiting. Not sure what that really means.:xf:

I haven't heard anything yet either. I interviewed 1/17........Waitlist Maybe???

"I am pleased to inform you that you have been placed on the alternate list for admission to the UCSD Skaggs sSchool of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences."

:(. So my question is, anyone know how many students were taken off the alternate list and given admission...in the past?

I'm pretty sure I want to go to USC next year...but I want to keep some options open just because UC's are 2x cheaper in both tuition and living expenses.

Just got the alternate list letter too. Yay! More waiting ;)

I'm pretty sure I want to go to USC next year...but I want to keep some options open just because UC's are 2x cheaper in both tuition and living expenses.

Not necessarily true. Tuition, yes. Living, no. Living in LA is not that bad. I think La Jolla and San Francisco rank pretty high in living expense. Calculating a commuter to USC and someone renting for the UC's, you would have a difference of ~20k in favor of the UC's. Not 100k that "half the tuition" would suggest.

"I am pleased to inform you that you have been placed on the alternate list for admission to the UCSD Skaggs sSchool of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences."

:(. So my question is, anyone know how many students were taken off the alternate list and given admission...in the past?

UCSD pulls about 30 people off the wait list (from what I remember from their welcome meeting). Pretty significant considering its half their class.