ucsd housing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

matthew0126

Anaheim Angels
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey ucsd'ers, is it true that the waiting list for university housing is like 2 years long? (but only 1-3 months for people with kids, doh)

man, that sucks. guess i'm gonna get raped by la jolla rents after all... mebbe i should have a kid :D

Members don't see this ad.

when I interviewed and talked to some med students, they made it seem like it was pretty routine and that those who submitted their housing application early got housing and those who didn't, didn't. I should turn mine in as well just in case I decide to go there, but right now I'm leaning towards UCLA and waiting for UCSF, but La Jolla and surfing on my lunch break looks really good to me. If you were in my situation, would you choose UCLA over SD?

matthew0126,

I've heard the same. I think the wait is so long because a lot of the housing is right on the beach.

But don't worry too much. If I remember correctly you're currently at Berkeley. And you know how ridiculous rents are there. When I interviewed at UCSD, I stayed with a Cal alum who, for less rent she paid in Berkeley, had a room in a beautiful 2 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 story, townhouse. You get a lot more for your money in La Jolla when compared to Berkeley.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey cal7449, yep i'm @ berkeley, go bears!

you're totally right about that, i guess no matter how bad the rent is, it won't be as bad as it is up here in the bay area. guess i should start looking in a bit. are you going to ucsd, cal7449?

hey ginseng, looks like you are pretty new to sdn. welcome! about ucla, man, i fell totally in love with ucla; it's my top choice for sure, but i'm still waiting for any news, and i'm starting to fear that it will be waitlist/reject. oh well... but ucsd is supa-cool too, that's my #2, hard to beat ucsd with it's beach-location and awesome academics, it'd be a tough choice, but i think ucla still takes the cake.

turn in the housing app anyways just in case you do decide to come to la jolla.

regards,
matt

What's up all - Just talked to the UCSD housing office on Monday. The waitlist for the apartments is 2-3 years! Waitlist for dorm style suites (4 people share living room, locker style bathroom ect, you know the drill) is 6-8 months.

As a former SF resident the rent is definitely not as bad down here in San Diego. Also, as a former SF resident I've gotta say don't got to LA guys :) !

To add to the UCSD surf perks... you can check out the key to Black's Beach, one of the best surf spots in La Jolla :D .

matthew0126,

I just got in off the acceptable pool a couple days ago. I'm still holding out hope for UCSF (interviewed 2/13). But if not, I'm going to La Jolla.

Good luck with UCLA.

GO BEARS!

so are most of you guys just planning on looking for non-ucsd affiliated housing around la jolla? I wonder if there is some kind of ucsd med student bulletin board for people looking for roommates, etc.

I just received a notice from UCSD Aff. Housing yesterday wanting me to return the waitlist confirmation form. From what you guys are saying, it looks like it's going to be a long wait. Damn, I don't want to live off-campus. Plus, I have to find a roommate if I live off-campus. Finding a good roommate is very difficult and time consumming.

Anybody want to be my roommate? I give good massages. :D :D :D

There is a public housing message board on the UCSD med school site -- if you browse around in the student section you should be able to find it.

Also, call the office of student affairs and ask them for advice. Last year, there was a member of the incoming class who was really cool and organized a weekend in July for all of the incoming students to meet one another and tour various neighborhoods, look for housing, and possibly find potential roommates. I think they had some current students and some people from Student Affairs help out with this. Anyways, the Student Affairs office should hopefully remember who this student was, and can either give you advice about organizing a similar weekend, or put you in touch with this student to help you out.

i don't mind so much the off-campus, now that i think about it. like you guys said, there are great places around la jolla and beyond... i figure i'll just live the first 2 or so years off-campus and then if i feel like it, i'll move into coast apts once i get pulled off the waitlist

i hope there are affordable studios around the area, or even a bit farther, i kinda want to live by myself... after four years of living in the same room with some1 else, seated like 5 feet away from them (ugghghhhghg), i could use a bit of personal space. but 2 bedroom with each person with their own room would be fine...

cal7449 -- good luck with ucsf man... hope you have better luck than me!!! (i got rejected post-interview, hehe)

and hey, what's the hostility all ya s.f. people have for l.a..... heh, weird... i guess the socalis get ya back by spreading all the rumors lol

thanks for the advice, lilycat

you went to baylor instead right?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by lilycat:
•There is a public housing message board on the UCSD med school site -- if you browse around in the student section you should be able to find it.

Also, call the office of student affairs and ask them for advice. Last year, there was a member of the incoming class who was really cool and organized a weekend in July for all of the incoming students to meet one another and tour various neighborhoods, look for housing, and possibly find potential roommates. I think they had some current students and some people from Student Affairs help out with this. Anyways, the Student Affairs office should hopefully remember who this student was, and can either give you advice about organizing a similar weekend, or put you in touch with this student to help you out.•••••

"and hey, what's the hostility all ya s.f. people have for l.a"

Giants, Dodgers thing. Best of luck with UCSF all. Got my rejection at the beginning of the month :(. Pumped about SD though :clap: !

Thanks Lillycat: Here's the link guys <a href="http://meded.ucsd.edu/osa/general_info/housing.html" target="_blank">UCSD housing</a>

Sorry I have to throw in an unrelated question...but does anyone here have any idea if UCSD has a revisit weekend? It seems like most schools have a revisit weekend, but I haven't heard anythign from SD.

Yeah, good question. I want to know if the second-look weekend exists with UCSD. I'm guessing they don't have it but it would be nice to meet my future classmates.

To share some information about off-campus housing, there are lots of very nice apartments with pools, gyms and everything along Nobel Drive, which is like 10 minutes from campus by bike or by bus. You can get studios for about $850-$900 or can share a double bedroom (probably around $1100-1300). Some of the more reasonably priced apartments that I can think of are: La Scala, Venetian, La Jolla International Gardens.

I'm sure there're other lower-priced apartments in La Jolla, but I don't know where. If La Jolla's too expensive, a lot of people get a place down in the Clairemont area, which is about 10-15 minutes by car or about 20 minutes by bus. It is a bit far from the campus, but it's nice in that there's a lot of cheap places to eat nearby, whereas there are no cheap places to eat in La Jolla.

Hi guys,
How can i get on that waitlist for campus housing? Do you have to be accepted to get on it? I'm on the acceptable pool list. tia

Chef,

I think you have to be accepted to get the on-campus housing info. On the application, they ask you to attach a copy of your letter of acceptance. I hope you'll get off the list. :)

Found another UCSD page with TONS of good apartment info. Here's the <a href="http://www-acs.ucsd.edu/~cssaucsd/housing.html" target="_blank">link.</a>

hey chef, i could be wrong, but i think i remember filling the form out and it saying that you could mail in a copy of your waitlist letter too... mebbe you should call and ask?

and wow, looks like we got quite a contingent of ucsd'rs here on sdn. cool :D

personally, i can't start looking for apartments yet because i'm still waiting on ucla, but if you are set on ucsd, i guess it can't hurt to start..
•••quote:•••Originally posted by chef:
•Hi guys,
How can i get on that waitlist for campus housing? Do you have to be accepted to get on it? I'm on the acceptable pool list. tia•••••

UCSD has a revisit weekend (or at least they had one last year) in April -- I think they sent out the info. for it about 4 weeks in advance. Call Student Affairs to check on it.

Matthew -- I did end up going with Baylor instead, but I think UCSD is a great program and it was an agonizing decision at the end.