UCSD Second-look Weekend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

labrynth79

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey you guys,

I was looking for housing information and I came across a housing site that is for current/incoming medical students. It is located at the site: "http://cybertalk.ucsd.edu:81/forums/swapmeet/sm/ceilidh.html".
Here you will find a message entitled "Are you an incoming MSI looking for a place and/or a roommate?". Gina Reggiardo is one of the MSII's that are trying to organize the 2nd look weekend and a housing search/roommate pairup. Please e-mail her as soon as you can and give her your info!

Also, I just found out that Gina is one of the organizers for our Orientation Week. If you go to the orientation site "http://meded.ucsd.edu/osa/orientation" and click on the NEW link "Second Year Medical Student Greetings!," you will learn a little bit more about the orientation week. :)

Hope this info is helpful

Members don't see this ad.

oh yeah . . . I originally had this under the "official UCSD waitlist" thread, but I thought it was inappropriate there.

sorry about that.

Hey Labrynth...thanks for the info!! I completely missed most of that info with the link provided in the e-mail they sent. Does anybody know what the deal is with the $75 made payable to class of 2005? Is this required to participate in the social events for the week, or to set us up with a mentor, or??? If it's for the social events I think $75 sounds pretty reasonable for everything they have planned...we actually get to take surfing lessons! I've heard stories about the local surfers in La Jolla though...pretty territorial and nonacomodating to newbies. I had actually made a comment to one of my friends that I would like to pick it up, and they told me that Wind and Surf was not the place to do it...but hey, everything for the week sounds great!
Also, the orientation schedule has us down for WCC fittings on Wednesday, but there is an order form online...was wondering if we had to fill that out now. I'm assuming we don't have to and that we will be fitted during orientation, but if different let me know. Thanks all, and see you in September!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh yeah...I had inquired about the vaccination requirements and thought I would share the info. All I have is a signed form from a physician that had to be filled out prior to entering the first grade with check marks...they said this would be fine. Although the form states that two measles is "recommended", I was told that we actually need two. So, a single MMR is not sufficient...you need to either get another MMR or just a measles (not sure if they have just measles). If you're like me, and currently have no insurance, don't pay the $100+ that most hospitals/offices charge for these vaccines. Contact your county health department and they can set you up. My measles vaccination will run $24 and HepA $26. Apparently they will set us up with HepB, which is a three shot series over a few months, I think. Hope this helps, and take care all.

Hey Darwin,

I just spoke with Maria (?) today, whom we call regarding the sizing/fittings for the White Coat Ceremony. According to the orientation website, the deadline for the WC order is 7/19/02. So go ahead and send this in - I think she needs it to order the coats! I called because I wasn't sure what measurement I was . . . but she says that we will be "fitted" for our White coat during orientation week. If you do order the wrong one, they usually have other sizes available! Plus, at the fittings, they'll adjust them as necessary. I ordered one that I though was a little large just in case. Hope that info helps!

I'm also going to re-name this thread from "UCSD 2nd-look Weekend" to "UCSD Summer 2nd-Look Weekend and other Orientation Info". Thought it might be more appropriate, considering the information that's being posted! :)

Hey - I was wondering if anyone had heard back regarding the "Suumer 2nd Look Weekend." I sent an email but never received a reply. Is there a date set or any other info?