Ucsd, Ucla, Ucb, Ucm, Ucr

Started by ttran01
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ttran01

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
anyone go to any of these schools? whats your major? are you taking the calculus-based physics? and the calculus for the engineering?

the reason i ask is because i go to a CC now and about to apply to a 4-year. i went on the assist.org website to see their requirements for the biological science major and a lot of the UC's require the calc-based physics and the engineering type calculus. i know a lot of pharmacy schools dont require the calc based or the engineering type calc cept for a few...at my CC i didnt take the calc based physics or the calculus the UC wanted. so i guess what i am wondering is if i transfer to one of the those schools...will i have to repeat courses to meet the UC requirement for graduation? or did you not have to take those type of courses. it's kinda late so i hope this doesnt sound confusing. any feedback will be appreciated 🙂
 
I went to UCLA and I initially majored in Business Economics. At the time, the school offered calculus for Econ Majors (Math 31E). When I switched to microbiology my 3rd year, Math 31E didn't satisfy my major requirements. I talked the micro department and they allowed me to substitute Math 31B (the engineering based calculus) with 31E. The grade I got was calculated into my OVERALL GPA, but was not included in my MAJOR GPA.

How I got screwed over was when I tried to apply to California schools. When I applied to pharmacy school in 2005, UCSD and UCSF did not take Math 31E. So, I had to take an additional math class (Math 3B - calculus for life science students) to satisfy pharmacy school requirements.


lesson ? KILL TWO BIRDS WITH ONE STONE. When you figure out what you want to do as a major...call the department at the school and ask them how transfering courses works with their department. Assist.org is pretty accurate, but you can call the school too if you really want.

If you decide to go to UCLA, take the calculus for lifescience students. It's a lot easier than the engineering math. Pharm schools should take both life science and engineering math courses, but you should always check on that.












ttran01 said:
anyone go to any of these schools? whats your major? are you taking the calculus-based physics? and the calculus for the engineering?

the reason i ask is because i go to a CC now and about to apply to a 4-year. i went on the assist.org website to see their requirements for the biological science major and a lot of the UC's require the calc-based physics and the engineering type calculus. i know a lot of pharmacy schools dont require the calc based or the engineering type calc cept for a few...at my CC i didnt take the calc based physics or the calculus the UC wanted. so i guess what i am wondering is if i transfer to one of the those schools...will i have to repeat courses to meet the UC requirement for graduation? or did you not have to take those type of courses. it's kinda late so i hope this doesnt sound confusing. any feedback will be appreciated 🙂
 
38ctk said:
I went to UCLA and I initially majored in Business Economics. At the time, the school offered calculus for Econ Majors (Math 31E). When I switched to microbiology my 3rd year, Math 31E didn't satisfy my major requirements. I talked the micro department and they allowed me to substitute Math 31B (the engineering based calculus) with 31E. The grade I got was calculated into my OVERALL GPA, but was not included in my MAJOR GPA.

How I got screwed over was when I tried to apply to California schools. When I applied to pharmacy school in 2005, UCSD and UCSF did not take Math 31E. So, I had to take an additional math class (Math 3B - calculus for life science students) to satisfy pharmacy school requirements.


lesson ? KILL TWO BIRDS WITH ONE STONE. When you figure out what you want to do as a major...call the department at the school and ask them how transfering courses works with their department. Assist.org is pretty accurate, but you can call the school too if you really want.

If you decide to go to UCLA, take the calculus for lifescience students. It's a lot easier than the engineering math. Pharm schools should take both life science and engineering math courses, but you should always check on that.

hey thanks. i initially took some of the classes that uc davis required for the bio major but then i wanted to apply to a lot of the other uc schools. davis seems to accept the easier math and physics courses. i already took the math for the life sciences. what physics class did you take? ucla website says to take the calc-based but i didnt take that. so i guess i can probably call them to see if it would be possible to substitute the trig based one i took for the calc-based they require. i dont want to retake physics 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ttran01 said:
hey thanks. i initially took some of the classes that uc davis required for the bio major but then i wanted to apply to a lot of the other uc schools. davis seems to accept the easier math and physics courses. i already took the math for the life sciences. what physics class did you take? ucla website says to take the calc-based but i didnt take that. so i guess i can probably call them to see if it would be possible to substitute the trig based one i took for the calc-based they require. i dont want to retake physics 🙁


UCLA offers physics for engineers and life science majors. I took the 6 series (life science majors). I've never heard of the physics series refered to as Calc or trig based, but check up on that. Calling the physics department probably won't help. They will probably make you call the department you are majored in. Plus the undergrad counselor for physics is a real a**
 
ttran01 said:
anyone go to any of these schools? whats your major? are you taking the calculus-based physics? and the calculus for the engineering?

the reason i ask is because i go to a CC now and about to apply to a 4-year. i went on the assist.org website to see their requirements for the biological science major and a lot of the UC's require the calc-based physics and the engineering type calculus. i know a lot of pharmacy schools dont require the calc based or the engineering type calc cept for a few...at my CC i didnt take the calc based physics or the calculus the UC wanted. so i guess what i am wondering is if i transfer to one of the those schools...will i have to repeat courses to meet the UC requirement for graduation? or did you not have to take those type of courses. it's kinda late so i hope this doesnt sound confusing. any feedback will be appreciated 🙂


my advice is to take the engineering physics which is calculus based and are acceptable under all admission criteria for pharmacy schools....... if youre thinking of transferrring to a UC system, go with the engineering calculus based physics because you dont want to waste time retaking classes that you already took, and this is physics we're talking about here, no walk in the park here.........if you plan to major in general biology, algebra based physics would be just fine for UCSD, UCR and UCLA, i dont know about the rest of the UC , but check with the counselors at the school you want to transfer to.......best of lucks......
 
UCSD has 3 different tiers of math and physics: one for non-science majors (which are almost non-existent here), one for science and one for the major, i.e. math for math majors or physics for physics majors.

With physics, the bio majors take the lower series than that of chemistry or engineering majors. The physics majors take even a higher one than that. When I went to CC, there was a one year sequence for bio majors and a 1.5 year for chemistry majors, which I took.

So yeah, I'm applying to pharmacy schools with 3 semesters of physics and 4 semesters of calculus including differential equations. It's not cool to take more classes than you need, but I guess it's looks better in the end.