UCSD vs. UCSF vs. USC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ucsd2011

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how's UCSD's pharmacy program? in comparison with ucsf and usc? thanks!

*by the way not ranking wise but the course and program itself*

Members don't see this ad.

how's UCSD's pharmacy program? in comparison with ucsf and usc? thanks!

*by the way not ranking wise but the course and program itself*

they're all GREAT and prestigious programs. so u really setting yourself up for a great future going to any of those schools.

but UCSF and USC are more established than UCSD right now b/c UCSD is fairly still new and has not been accredited yet (they will this year i think).

UCSF is arguably the #1 pharmacy school right now but that's b/c every graduate program of UCSF is ranked top 3 worldwide--medicine, dentistry, doctorate... so u can't go wrong with UCSF.

USC is more geared towards retail i believe b/c 50% of retail pharmacists in socal are from USC. and they're known for their networking.

UCSD curriculum is very tough as they are integrated somewhat with the school of medicine. and i think they're gearing their program more towards UCSF and more clinical. eventually they'll be one of the top pharmacy schools.

ultimately, u can't really go wrong with any school. good luck

so if I'm more interested in hospital pharmacy i should look towards ucsf and ucsd?..i also heard that networking (usc) doesnt really help if you plan to go into a hospital pharmacy..where would uop rank amongst the above three?

Members don't see this ad :)
they're all GREAT and prestigious programs. so u really setting yourself up for a great future going to any of those schools.

but UCSF and USC are more established than UCSD right now b/c UCSD is fairly still new and has not been accredited yet (they will this year i think).

UCSF is arguably the #1 pharmacy school right now but that's b/c every graduate program of UCSF is ranked top 3 worldwide--medicine, dentistry, doctorate... so u can't go wrong with UCSF.

USC is more geared towards retail i believe b/c 50% of retail pharmacists in socal are from USC. and they're known for their networking.

UCSD curriculum is very tough as they are integrated somewhat with the school of medicine. and i think they're gearing their program more towards UCSF and more clinical. eventually they'll be one of the top pharmacy schools.

ultimately, u can't really go wrong with any school. good luck

UCSF:
Dentistry: #1
Medicine: #3
Nursing :#2

All 3 of these schools are extremely competitive. Make sure you have good stats when applying or you can kiss your money good bye. As far as the programs go, all are really good programs.

Your pharmacy career will be what you make it no matter where you go, nobody can compare the programs since each of us can only go to one school.

I'm going to be a freshman at ucsd this fall and ucsd has this program for incoming freshemen where if we keep our grades up we can apply to a 7-year program where we'll be able to graduate with a BS in biochem/chem and with a pharmD. I'm wondering if i should apply to this program or just do undergrad for four years at UCSD then apply to pharm school. thanks!

Wow, not entirely true! USC's program is actually very patient-focused and clinically-driven - especially considering that USC was the first to start the PharmD clinical program back in '68. Many pharmacy students in general (not just at USC) go into retail though by choice. You will not be at a disadvantage whatsoever if you go to USC and want to get into clinical inpatient practice.

As a pharmacy student I would consider all 3 of those schools perfect for what you eventually intend to do. However, if you can get into a direct program like UCSD's or even USC's - do it. I did it at USC and I'm thankful that I did it! If you can get in you avoid the tough competition later down the road. :thumbup:

thanks!!.does anyone know the passing rate on the exams from the three schools?