UCSF and USC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaFlgirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! Has anyone heard from UCSF/SFSU or USC??? UCSF has their interview on January 28, according to their website, so I would think they'd start letting people know if they've been granted an interview. And, from looking at posts from last year, it seems that USC does their open house the weekend before UCSF interviews. Just wondering if anyone's heard anything for either program, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I applied to both schools as well and have not heard anything yet. I know USC let the ED people know so far, but when I went to an info session they said they would be sending decisions out by March! ugh. the waiting is killing me! post back if you hear anything... good luck!

not true. i got into USC regular decision on dec 1st via mail.

Members don't see this ad :)
wow. that's the first one I have heard of... when did you send your app in?

I also received an offer of admission from USC in the very beginning of December but haven't yet heard anything from UCSF. I submitted my PTCAS app October 1st. Apparently, you really can't predict how much time it'll take a given school to review your application... :confused: :)

ughh bummer for me... I was verified around the same time. Our stats are pretty close, your GRE is higher. I was hoping they would want me for my experience.... oh well. I haven't been rejected yet, so maybe there is still hope : /

my boyfriend just got his invitation to interview at UCSF a few hours ago via e-mail

Does anyone know what he should expect for the interview? I read that in previous years that they had an essay during the interview. Does anyone know if this is still the case?

Yes they do, I just received the invitation as well. There is a PDF attachment that explains everything that will happen that day. Good luck to him!

Hey all, I got my letter of acceptance from USC on Thursday (Dec. 15) and an invitation to interview at UCSF last night. I also got an e-mail from USC about their open house, which is on Jan 21.

Did USC send your acceptance letter via email or regular mail?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted to USC Dec 19. Are any of you guys going to USC? I am pretty sure I am going to go there!

The UCSF essay, isn't really an essay, it's more of a long answer. Last year the question was if you could go anywhere in the world and money wasn't an issue, where would you go and why? So nothing to stress over.

The interview itself is about an hour long and they ask you all the typical PT/job type interview questions and they will ask you about stuff you put in your application, like your volunteer experiences, extracurriculars, any research experience, etc. And you are with one faculty member and one current student. You get time to ask them questions to at the end, or let them know anything else that you want them to know that maybe wasn't covered in the interview. You are also provided with breakfast and lunch and plenty of tours and time to talk with current students.

The UCSF essay, isn't really an essay, it's more of a long answer. Last year the question was if you could go anywhere in the world and money wasn't an issue, where would you go and why? So nothing to stress over.

The interview itself is about an hour long and they ask you all the typical PT/job type interview questions and they will ask you about stuff you put in your application, like your volunteer experiences, extracurriculars, any research experience, etc. And you are with one faculty member and one current student. You get time to ask them questions to at the end, or let them know anything else that you want them to know that maybe wasn't covered in the interview. You are also provided with breakfast and lunch and plenty of tours and time to talk with current students.

Thank you so much for posting about your experience! So are you a current student at UCSF? What did you think of the program? I have been accepted to Emory so I am seeing what happens with UCSF and then I will probably make my final decision. I have never been to the UCSF campus, but I would much prefer SF over Atlanta, but I LOVED Emory so I am nervous how this whole thing will go... I have heard UCSF's program is really strongly research based and does not focus as much on the clinical aspects of PT, is that true?

I got accepted to USC Dec 19. Are any of you guys going to USC? I am pretty sure I am going to go there!

I'm going to be at the reception on the 21st but am not leaning towards going there. It's so expensive!

Is it in the same ballpark as Duke? Do we have till the end of next week (Jan 6) to let Duke know our decision?

In my welcome packet from USC it says the flat rate tuition for taking 15-18 units/semester is $42K and full time taking 8-14 units/semester is $28K so I was assuming it was the $42K, but then looking online it says $53K/year. So I'm confused.

I asked for an extension on letting Duke know so I can go to the USC reception and go to an interview at UCSF. USC wants the payment on the 20th before they even have the reception so I asked for an extension on that one too. I haven't gotten a response for either (probably on vacay)

Is it in the same ballpark as Duke? Do we have till the end of next week (Jan 6) to let Duke know our decision?

You know what? Looking at my stuff from both schools, it looks like Duke is $28K/year, whereas USC is $28K/semester. Correct me if I'm looking at this wrong.

it looks like Duke is $28K/year.

I am looking at the documents we were given on our interview day at Duke:
- Year 1 tuition (plus miscellaneous fees - lab fee, technology fee, etc)= $34.7K
- Year 2 tuition + fees= $33.7K
- Year 3 tuition + fees= $31.5K
Those costs most likely will go up since tuition/fees increases have outpaced inflation in the last few years.

On top of that we will need to add room & board, books, transportation and other misc. expenses. Per Duke's estimates, the total cost for year 1 is $60K, year 2 is $57K and year 3 is $48.8K.

Quick, I need smelling salts.

Last edited:
I am looking at the documents we were given on our interview day at Duke:
- Year 1 tuition (plus miscellaneous fees - lab fee, technology fee, etc)= $34.7K
- Year 2 tuition + fees= $33.7K
- Year 3 tuition + fees= $31.5K
Those costs most likely will go up since tuition/fees increases have outpaced inflation in the last few years.

On top of that we will need to add room & board, books, transportation and other misc. expenses. Per Duke's estimates, the total cost for year 1 is $60K, year 2 is $57K and year 3 is $48.8K.

Quick, I need smelling salts.

Yeah, I was just talking about the tuition price. USC says in their packet with everything $49.9K and I think they're referring to per semester as opposed to Duke which was $60K per year, unless I'm looking at it wrong.

Are you going to the reception in a couple weeks?

Are you going to the reception in a couple weeks?

If you're referring to the USC reception, then no; I did not apply to USC. I did apply to UNC though, and have an interview there in late Jan.

Yeah, I was just talking about the tuition price. USC says in their packet with everything $49.9K and I think they're referring to per semester as opposed to Duke which was $60K per year, unless I'm looking at it wrong.

After being accepted to USC, I compiled an entire list of tuition costs at every program I applied to :eek: :) and USC was 50+ thousand per year (tuition only) for the 1st and 2nd year and 30+ thousand for the 3rd year...

If you're referring to the USC reception, then no; I did not apply to USC. I did apply to UNC though, and have an interview there in late Jan.

Hey, sorry, I guess I assumed you applied to USC cuz we were talking about tuition rates compared to Duke, my bad.

USC was 50+ thousand per year (tuition only) for the 1st and 2nd year and 30+ thousand for the 3rd year...

It must be the most expensive DPT school in the US. $130K just for tuition over 3 years!

It must be the most expensive DPT school in the US. $130K just for tuition over 3 years!

That's right: it is apparently THE most expensive school... Also, it's in LA and the rent is obviously not cheap at all + you absolutely need a car...

However, to be fair, if you check out the tuition for places like NYU or UCSF or Boston University, it'll turn out that even though they are somewhat cheaper, it's not by much! How about up $120K instead of 130? :eek:

One can, of course, always hope for a scholarship... :))

That's right: it is apparently THE most expensive school... Also, it's in LA and the rent is obviously not cheap at all + you absolutely need a car...

However, to be fair, if you check out the tuition for places like NYU or UCSF or Boston University, it'll turn out that even though they are somewhat cheaper, it's not by much! How about up $120K instead of 130? :eek:

One can, of course, always hope for a scholarship... :))

For those other schools you're quoting, is that how much they are just in tuition? Just curious cuz at Duke they said the average student had about $118K in debt including everything, not just tuition.

For those other schools you're quoting, is that how much they are just in tuition? Just curious cuz at Duke they said the average student had about $118K in debt including everything, not just tuition.

If we study their websites, here's what we have:
Duke: "The 2010-2011 academic year tuition has been set at $27,995." (So that's what just 1 year, tuition only.)
NYU: " Tuition and fees for the entire 133-credit, 10-semester DPT program will total $119,970 for the class entering summer 2011."
UCSF: $39K fall-spring (every year) + 3-5K every summer... (if you are not a resident; if you are, then 27K fall-spring every year)
Boston University: approximately $42K every year.

Sorry, there's really no good news here :scared: . But, as I said before, sometimes you can get a scholarship/graduate assistantship...

Thank you so much for posting about your experience! So are you a current student at UCSF? What did you think of the program? I have been accepted to Emory so I am seeing what happens with UCSF and then I will probably make my final decision. I have never been to the UCSF campus, but I would much prefer SF over Atlanta, but I LOVED Emory so I am nervous how this whole thing will go... I have heard UCSF's program is really strongly research based and does not focus as much on the clinical aspects of PT, is that true?

I'm actually a current student at UOP. I don't remember the details of the UCSF clinicals, I'd check their website for a calendar for each year. I know they are big on research, but I'm sure they incorporate a lot of clinicals too. I would ask at the interview day too, if it's still unclear. The UCSF/SFSU campus was nice, I would try to go to the Friday night open house they have so you get a chance to see the SFSU campus and some of their research. Although I didn't end up going there, the interview day definitely put their program very high on my list, it's a great program and location and the students were very welcoming. Good luck with your interview!

I'm actually a current student at UOP. I don't remember the details of the UCSF clinicals, I'd check their website for a calendar for each year. I know they are big on research, but I'm sure they incorporate a lot of clinicals too. I would ask at the interview day too, if it's still unclear. The UCSF/SFSU campus was nice, I would try to go to the Friday night open house they have so you get a chance to see the SFSU campus and some of their research. Although I didn't end up going there, the interview day definitely put their program very high on my list, it's a great program and location and the students were very welcoming. Good luck with your interview!

I'm going to the interview and preview day in a few weeks. On the preview day, was it all day long? The packet of info they sent us said campus tours for Parnassus/Mission Bay start at 11:30 am and the SFSU tour is from 5:30-8:30 pm. That seems like a long time in between. Also, are the campuses close? Or is there a shuttle/good public transportation between the schools? Or do you need a car?

I'm going to the interview and preview day in a few weeks. On the preview day, was it all day long? The packet of info they sent us said campus tours for Parnassus/Mission Bay start at 11:30 am and the SFSU tour is from 5:30-8:30 pm. That seems like a long time in between. Also, are the campuses close? Or is there a shuttle/good public transportation between the schools? Or do you need a car?

We didn't get to see the Parnassus/Mission Bay campus last year, I think it was still under construction, so no clue on that. The SFSU did go pretty much the whole time in the evening, it was food/mingling and then a series of little tours and Q & A with current students. The campuses are not close, and I don't think there were shuttles (I could be wrong though), but SFSU and UCSF are not really related except for this program. You could look into MUNI (buses), but I just drove and it wasn't tough to park at either school.