UCSF Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nothen2do

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting the thread (other threads were too old, or diverged greatly from the topic). I'm really excited and can't wait to move up to San Fran in the fall, even making a San Francisco themed mix already. I'm a senior, graduating with a BA in Bus/Econ from UC Santa Barbara. I am definitly glad to elongate my stay on the big blue Pacific ocean. Anyways, post any comments and questions

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on your acceptance!!!

IMO, you'll enjoy the P/NP system.

Thanks, ya the pass/no pass grading system sounds great, hopefully it will reduce competitevess among everyone. Are you going to begin in the fall as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
nothen2do said:
Thanks, ya the pass/no pass grading system sounds great, hopefully it will reduce competitevess among everyone. Are you going to begin in the fall as well?

the P/NP grading system is awesome. it totally eliminates the competitiveness in our class. HBomb is a D1 along with me at UCSF and he should be studying for his finals instead of posting on SDN like me... :p
congrats nothen2do!

busdriver said:
the P/NP grading system is awesome. it totally eliminates the competitiveness in our class. HBomb is a D1 along with me at UCSF and he should be studying for his finals instead of posting on SDN like me... :p
congrats nothen2do!

Im glad to hear that, and I too should be studying for finals. My one beef with the UC's, undergrad and grad (other than Berkeley) is the quarter system. I thought after this year I would finally get to enjoy the cushier semester system :D I guess I was meant to take finals 3 times a year instead of twice. Quick question for you and HBomb concerning living, what areas should I be looking for in SF? I would love to live within walking distance of campus, but I got the feeling that is not the case. And is it possible to buy a place and have a similarly priced mortgage to rent (e.g. ~$1200 per month)? Well, good luck with finals!

nothen2do said:
Starting the thread (other threads were too old, or diverged greatly from the topic). I'm really excited and can't wait to move up to San Fran in the fall, even making a San Francisco themed mix already. I'm a senior, graduating with a BA in Bus/Econ from UC Santa Barbara. I am definitly glad to elongate my stay on the big blue Pacific ocean. Anyways, post any comments and questions

Congrats man.

Yeah, I will be attending UCSF most likely next fall as well...and I have the same housing question. Does anybody live in the University apts? It just seems easier to do than trying to find an apt myself.

poofy83 said:
Yeah, I will be attending UCSF most likely next fall as well...and I have the same housing question. Does anybody live in the University apts? It just seems easier to do than trying to find an apt myself.

Most likely huh? What schools are you choosing between if you dont mind me asking?

Ok people, heres the deal. I don't want to be competitive, but the other school in San Fran has a really long, good thread dedicated to itself. I think we need to give them some healthy competition. I know next year we definitly will, as I plan to set up some golf tournaments and other fun recreational activities sporting UCSF vs. UOP, but right now this UCSF forum is slacking. And yes, I should be studying for finals, but I'd much rather not. That's all I got.

Oh, and does anyone know when we start getting more info from the school, like registration packets and the sort?

Nothing,

Hey man I would like post everyday in this forum but it seems as though UCSF wants to wait and hasnt given me a final decision yet :eek: ....wish me good luck and we'll get this thread going....

nothen2do said:
Most likely huh? What schools are you choosing between if you dont mind me asking?

Ok people, heres the deal. I don't want to be competitive, but the other school in San Fran has a really long, good thread dedicated to itself. I think we need to give them some healthy competition. I know next year we definitly will, as I plan to set up some golf tournaments and other fun recreational activities sporting UCSF vs. UOP, but right now this UCSF forum is slacking. And yes, I should be studying for finals, but I'd much rather not. That's all I got.

Oh, and does anyone know when we start getting more info from the school, like registration packets and the sort?

nothen2do said:

Actually I'm choosing between Tufts and SF...but I think I've pretty much set my heart on SF. I haven't withdrawn my app from Tufts yet that's all. Where are all the Class of 2009 UCSF people?

Johnny, best of luck :luck: I emailed Carmen so many times with the same answer "your status is still under review," that now I'm afraid to email her if I have any type of question.

And I agree with poofy, where are all fo the soon to be UCSFers? Well, to break the ice I'll begin with little a joke. What did the pink panther say to the ant after it stepped on it? ....Dead ant, dead ant, dead ant dead ant dead ... Get ready for these kind of jokes next year, cause I got a bunch! :D

Hey what's up guys. I heard back from UCSF and I'm def gonna be there next year! I'm from chicago... are there any other out of staters?

jhmart112 said:
Hey what's up guys. I heard back from UCSF and I'm def gonna be there next year! I'm from chicago... are there any other out of staters?

Hey -

Sorry, I'm from the Bay Area. I'm currently a senior Molecular Bio major at UCLA...does UCSF even take many out of staters?

Members don't see this ad :)
poofy83 said:
Hey -

Sorry, I'm from the Bay Area. I'm currently a senior Molecular Bio major at UCLA...does UCSF even take many out of staters?

Ya, I would think then UC's, as state schools, don't accept too many out-of-staters. You must have really made an impression at the interview, and had some great stats to get you there.. Congrats, san fran won't be as windy at least right :) I'm from Los Angeles and as I mentioned above, am an econ major at UCSB. Ok then, back to studying for finals...freaking quarter system, only one more quarter and then 4 more years of quarters at UCSF left :thumbup:

Ok, im bumping this thread up since I've seen a few more people accepted. Hope you all decide to come to san fran next fall!

nothen2do said:
Ok, im bumping this thread up since I've seen a few more people accepted. Hope you all decide to come to san fran next fall!

Bump.
But ucla and ucsf, which one is better?

gundam said:
Bump.
But ucla and ucsf, which one is better?

Hi everybody,

I am going to UCSF in the fall too!!!! I was wondering if any of you guys know whether or not they offer aerobics, kickboxing, pilates type classes at the gym????? The gym is really nice and I hope to be using it often....great way to relieve stress!

Can't wait to meet you all soon!!!!

Oh yeah.....UCSF is better because thats the school we chose! I don't think you will get many unbiased answers to the ucsf vs ucla question in this particular thread! But one thing for sure.....both are great schools!!

excite4 said:
Hi everybody,

I am going to UCSF in the fall too!!!! I was wondering if any of you guys know whether or not they offer aerobics, kickboxing, pilates type classes at the gym????? The gym is really nice and I hope to be using it often....great way to relieve stress!

Im pretty sure that the gym offers all sorts of classes. You can see whats offered on the website, http://www.cas.ucsf.edu/MPS . I will definitly take advantage of the gym, especially with the nice views that they provide.

For the UCLA vs. UCSF, there are other threads already, but just remember, "I left my heart in San Francisco..."

Oh, and for those who know the area and are already at school, I have a question. I was up there this weekend and realized that I probably want to live relatively close to school, say within a mile. Do most students live in the sunset district? Any ideas or advice on where to live in general and is it possible/has anyone purchased a place up in SF? Thanks

nothen2do said:
Im pretty sure that the gym offers all sorts of classes. You can see whats offered on the website, http://www.cas.ucsf.edu/MPS . I will definitly take advantage of the gym, especially with the nice views that they provide.

For the UCLA vs. UCSF, there are other threads already, but just remember, "I left my heart in San Francisco..."

Hey nothen2do thanks for the link! They do offer a bunch of classes.....I think there is a small fee but I its worth it! They even have sports clubs and leagues. That sounds like a lot of fun.....hopefully I'll have time for it.

HEY guys I have been and will be in Ecuador and Peru for the next 1 month. I am planning on attending UCSF next year as well. I cannot wait. Let me know whats up for living. I hear its better to live off campus after speaking to several UCSF students.

I'm so excited about going to UCSF. My brother's friend has a single bedroom apartment on 7th and Judah that he is currently leasing for $900. I'm hoping that he's going to be able to help me find something reasonable up there. Can't we to see my fellow classmates!!!

Hey guys -

I'm so happy to see that you all are excited about attending UCSF next fall...have any of you received the email addresses of everyone in our class? I remember getting an email from Carmen saying that she would send that out sometime...anyways, I'm looking forward to meeting you all in the fall! :)

hey everyone!

Has anyone who applied for graduate housing heard from the housing office yet? Last time I talked to them they said we should get something by April and well here we are in April.

So...where is everyone from? Any Southern California people?

Red823 said:
hey everyone!

Has anyone who applied for graduate housing heard from the housing office yet? Last time I talked to them they said we should get something by April and well here we are in April.

So...where is everyone from? Any Southern California people?

Did you end up deciding between ucla and ucsf? Anyways, I recieved a housing packet, but not to informative. Im from socal, LA to be exact.

nothen2do said:
Did you end up deciding between ucla and ucsf? Anyways, I recieved a housing packet, but not to informative. Im from socal, LA to be exact.

Hey nothen2do

Yea I've decided ucsf after revisits to both schools in the last few weeks. The housing packet you received, was that the one with Mission Bay brochure? What about financial aid? Have you heard from them? I sent them all the necessary things already and they haven't sent anything yet so I'm wondering when we'd hear from them.

If there are others who are from socal, LA area or OC (for me) would like to meet up over the summer before heading up to SF let me know!

I was wondering about UCSF... if it's based on a pass/fail system, what is the basis for selection when applying for your residency? Clinical perfomance?

Thanks,
-D

Glad you chose UCSF. I received the mission bay brochure and nothing else. I haven't heard anything since the acceptance actually. What part of the OC are you from?

deebog01 said:
I was wondering about UCSF... if it's based on a pass/fail system, what is the basis for selection when applying for your residency? Clinical perfomance?

Thanks,
-D

I'm pretty sure it honors/pass/fail, don't know anything about residency other than the school having an excellent reputation. Clinically, they were tops in output last year, but if you want detailed info I would ask some current students in the dental forum

nothen2do said:
Glad you chose UCSF. I received the mission bay brochure and nothing else. I haven't heard anything since the acceptance actually. What part of the OC are you from?

mission bay brochure and notice of tuition increase.

Red823 said:
Hey nothen2do

Yea I've decided ucsf after revisits to both schools in the last few weeks. The housing packet you received, was that the one with Mission Bay brochure? What about financial aid? Have you heard from them? I sent them all the necessary things already and they haven't sent anything yet so I'm wondering when we'd hear from them.

If there are others who are from socal, LA area or OC (for me) would like to meet up over the summer before heading up to SF let me know!

How was your revisit to UCSF? I would love to revisit the school yet $$ is keeping me from doing so. What swayed your decision?

Red823 said:
Hey nothen2do

I will be living in san dimas until the school year starts. Right now I am traveling in south america and wont return till april 29th . Maybe we can meet up after i return.

nothen2do said:

I'm from a small city that frankly none has heard of but it's nestled among the more major ones like Yorba Linda, Brea, Fullerton, and Anaheim if that helps pinpoint the location geographically. Yea I received the mission bay brochure and tuition increase notification and nothing else since then. I talked to Housing Office today and they said they are currently doing assignments for Mission Bay and since I listed that I won't need to move in until Sept, they say I won't hear from them about it probably until July. Though the person did say I have a good shot of getting in Mission Bay...at least if I can't find an off-campus place I know I won't be living on the streets.

What part of LA do you live in?

Red823 said:
I'm from a small city that frankly none has heard of but it's nestled among the more major ones like Yorba Linda, Brea, Fullerton, and Anaheim if that helps pinpoint the location geographically. Yea I received the mission bay brochure and tuition increase notification and nothing else since then. I talked to Housing Office today and they said they are currently doing assignments for Mission Bay and since I listed that I won't need to move in until Sept, they say I won't hear from them about it probably until July. Though the person did say I have a good shot of getting in Mission Bay...at least if I can't find an off-campus place I know I won't be living on the streets.

Red823,

I had no idea that you lived in OC. For some reason, I got the impression that you live in LA. Do you happen to live in Placentia?

J2AZ said:
How was your revisit to UCSF? I would love to revisit the school yet $$ is keeping me from doing so. What swayed your decision?

My revisit to UCSF was awesome. I was given a much more personalized tour of the area by some of the current D1 students. They were very nice, helpful, and of course truthful about what they like and/or dislike at SF. They all love the P/NP system. What's different from LA and SF about the P/NP system is that at SF you don't have those EPR level so it definitely eliminates alot of the competition among students to vie for that top 10% (EPR level). I don't know what they will use for rankings in terms of those who wants to specialize but I don't foresee a prb about it. After all, I'm sure in the process of changing the curriculum to its state now the profs have thought about that.

In terms of what swayed my decision? I guess it's just being in SF for a longer time period and getting to see alot more of the city than when I was there for the interview. I loved everything I saw again at the school itself and even love the city even more...in spite of the fog and lack of parking. Guess people have different priorities in terms of what they want from a school and given the fact that both LA and SF are great schools, it all came down to Location.

QuietGuy said:
Red823,

I had no idea that you lived in OC. For some reason, I got the impression that you live in LA. Do you happen to live in Placentia?

Wow QuietGuy I'm impressed...you DO know your cities in OC very well. Yup you got it right...I live in Placentia

Red823 said:

The san fernando valley ("the valley"), more precisely tarzana/encino area. I also spoke with the housing peeps today, and since im trying to move in around early august they said I would def. get a spot at mission bay, but they were unsure about the parnassus apartments until late june. Ultimatly, after renting for 4 years in college, I would love (with the help of my folks ofcourse) to buy a place. But when I was there last weekend, I got educated on the costs of owning in san fran, which are ridiculous! But we'll see, I think I want to stay within a mile or so of campus. Its funny because on the map, and being from L.A., 3 miles doesn't seem far but, in sf, it is. The city is only 7x7 miles and im worried of the commute if I wasn't within walking distance or a one bus- route to school. Its so easy at my school right now, 7-10 minute bike ride on FLAT terrain (of course the ocean to your right is always nice as well :D ).

nothen2do said:
The san fernando valley ("the valley"), more precisely tarzana/encino area. I also spoke with the housing peeps today, and since im trying to move in around early august they said I would def. get a spot at mission bay, but they were unsure about the parnassus apartments until late june. Ultimatly, after renting for 4 years in college, I would love (with the help of my folks ofcourse) to buy a place. But when I was there last weekend, I got educated on the costs of owning in san fran, which are ridiculous! But we'll see, I think I want to stay within a mile or so of campus. Its funny because on the map, and being from L.A., 3 miles doesn't seem far but, in sf, it is. The city is only 7x7 miles and im worried of the commute if I wasn't within walking distance or a one bus- route to school. Its so easy at my school right now, 7-10 minute bike ride on FLAT terrain (of course the ocean to your right is always nice as well :D ).

Yea the real eastate at SF is quite the Golden Nest. You're planning to move in early august? Why so soon when orientation doesn't start until mid sept? Yea, Mission Bay can be a bit far from the campus but I hear they've got shuttles and the public transits are quite fast...I guess I just fell in love with Mission Bay when I saw it.

Red823 said:
Yea the real eastate at SF is quite the Golden Nest. You're planning to move in early august? Why so soon when orientation doesn't start until mid sept? Yea, Mission Bay can be a bit far from the campus but I hear they've got shuttles and the public transits are quite fast...I guess I just fell in love with Mission Bay when I saw it.

I'm moving to sf with my grilfriend and she's going to be searching for jobs. I'll probably just play golf for the month or so I'm there, you know, a hard knock life. So you saw mission bay? I never got around to seeing it in person. Mind describing it somewhat, as well as the area around it?

I still haven't seen Mission Bay in person. Though the facility seems like it will be amazing, Mission Bay itself is mostly industrial if I remember correctly. In other words, you won't really be in the mix of the immediate city. I'm worried that without a car it will be difficult to get out and do things with only limited public transit in that area. I know the Third Street light rail is being constructed; I don't know how far along they are. I'm probably going to drive over to the campus this weekend to see the progress and to get a true feeling of the area. I'll post with my thoughts. I currently live in the Outer Richmond and am debating whether or not to keep my current apartment or to find somewhere closer to campus on the other side of the park.

nothen2do said:
I'm moving to sf with my grilfriend and she's going to be searching for jobs. I'll probably just play golf for the month or so I'm there, you know, a hard knock life. So you saw mission bay? I never got around to seeing it in person. Mind describing it somewhat, as well as the area around it?

Mission Bay area used to be an abandon warehouse/railroad storage area? I think I read that somewhere but I could be mistaken. ANyways, it's very close to the SBC ballpark and practically right smack by the ocean...you can see Bay Bridge in the background too. There are actually a lot of convenient stores, shops, restaurants not too far away. I believe Lolita mentioned in her post about opening Third Ave Rail or something? Well, when I was there it was definitely in construction and seems like it's going quite well...should be finished soon i'm sure.

I've got pictures if you guys want to see...

Red823 said:
Mission Bay area used to be an abandon warehouse/railroad storage area? I think I read that somewhere but I could be mistaken. ANyways, it's very close to the SBC ballpark and practically right smack by the ocean...you can see Bay Bridge in the background too. There are actually a lot of convenient stores, shops, restaurants not too far away. I believe Lolita mentioned in her post about opening Third Ave Rail or something? Well, when I was there it was definitely in construction and seems like it's going quite well...should be finished soon i'm sure.

I've got pictures if you guys want to see...

would love to see them, thanks!

That would be awesome. That's pretty cool that it's right by SBC Park!

Lolita said:
That would be awesome. That's pretty cool that it's right by SBC Park!

I can't fit all the photos on here because they're too big and I don't know how to resize them. I did upload a few onto a picture album at Yahoo...I'll be attaching the link so you can take a gander at them at your leisure. If the link doesn't work or the pictures are bad let me know.

Enjoy

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/obiwan1133/album?.dir=/7f5c

Thanks for the pics. Do you know/remember how far mission bay is from the fun parts of the city: financial district, union square, market st...?

Bringing this old, old thread back to ask a quick q. Anyone recieve housing info yet, at mission bay or parnassus?

nothen2do said:
Bringing this old, old thread back to ask a quick q. Anyone recieve housing info yet, at mission bay or parnassus?

I got a call from them last month. I wanted to know if I was interested in the married complex near UCSF. I guess my situation doesn't really apply to you though since you are single.

Has anyone tried looking for a place off campus?

nothen2do said:

hey nothen -

yeah i got an assignment at mission bay, and i decided to take it. i actually emailed some ppl (using the list carmen sent us) and found other first year dental students to live with too! u guys should come and live in mission bay! it'll be fun! :)

Has anybody received the financial aid award letter? They keep telling me a few more weeks...a few more weeks.

poofy83 said:
hey nothen -

yeah i got an assignment at mission bay, and i decided to take it. i actually emailed some ppl (using the list carmen sent us) and found other first year dental students to live with too! u guys should come and live in mission bay! it'll be fun! :)

Did they assign an actual apt. to you or just say you have housing? I wonder if you can ask for an ocean view :laugh: The only thing that concerns me about mission bay is that nothing is too close to it. There are some restaurants/hang outs in the complex area, but it doesn't compare to the fun streets of the sunset district. I would love to walk when dining and such, and I don't know how possible that is from Mission bay. Do you agree?

BTW, I like your name, very funny!