UCSF Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
nothen2do said:
Did they assign an actual apt. to you or just say you have housing? I wonder if you can ask for an ocean view :laugh: The only thing that concerns me about mission bay is that nothing is too close to it. There are some restaurants/hang outs in the complex area, but it doesn't compare to the fun streets of the sunset district. I would love to walk when dining and such, and I don't know how possible that is from Mission bay. Do you agree?

BTW, I like your name, very funny!

I agree those were my same concerns when applying for housing at mission bay. But after going to the CDA meeting and talking to other in coming dental students, it seemed like it should be pretty chill living there. Im thinking im gonna live there unless i find something better closer to campus with other dental students.

Members don't see this ad.

nothen2do said:
Did they assign an actual apt. to you or just say you have housing? I wonder if you can ask for an ocean view :laugh: The only thing that concerns me about mission bay is that nothing is too close to it. There are some restaurants/hang outs in the complex area, but it doesn't compare to the fun streets of the sunset district. I would love to walk when dining and such, and I don't know how possible that is from Mission bay. Do you agree?

BTW, I like your name, very funny!

hey -

yeah i was a little concerned about that...but i figured it's close to public transportation, and if i'm living with other dental students I'll at least have company during the commute. i just thought it would be easier to do university housing my first year...then maybe meet people and make friends with people to live with in an apt closer to campus second year and onwards. and yes, they assigned me an actual apartment - i'm gonna be in a 4 bedroom.

(my name refers to my hair, btw...hehe :laugh: )

have any of you guys sent in all your official transcrips yet? also have you guys filled out the UCSF financial aid application and if so have you guys gotten anything back from them yet?

dre

Members don't see this ad :)
DREDAY said:
have any of you guys sent in all your official transcrips yet? also have you guys filled out the UCSF financial aid application and if so have you guys gotten anything back from them yet?

dre

I still have 3 weeks of school :eek: UC's and their damn quarter system, I'll be sending my final official transcripts june 15ish, right before I go on travelling. I'll be out of the country for a good 5 weeks and I know that I'll miss a bunch of important mailings, oh well. Are you still on provisional admit? I am until they recieve final transcripts and proof of my degree.

DREDAY said:

dre

I sent my financial aid packet in over a month ago. I called yesterday, and the person I talked to said that I'd get an offer letter mid-late June. I'm sending in my transcripts next week, but I haven't heard anything about housing.
I'm tired of waiting!

nothen2do said:
I still have 3 weeks of school :eek: UC's and their damn quarter system, I'll be sending my final official transcripts june 15ish, right before I go on travelling. I'll be out of the country for a good 5 weeks and I know that I'll miss a bunch of important mailings, oh well. Are you still on provisional admit? I am until they recieve final transcripts and proof of my degree.

I am at UC also but i graduated in winter so, i was able to already send in all my transcripts but i have not heard any changes to my provisional admit. Which is kinda stressin me out because loma linda is gonna ask for their second deposit soon. I just submitted my UCSF financial aid package, i hope its not too late since they say submit as soon as you get your acceptance. waht UC do you go to?

DREDAY said:
I am at UC also but i graduated in winter so, i was able to already send in all my transcripts but i have not heard any changes to my provisional admit. Which is kinda stressin me out because loma linda is gonna ask for their second deposit soon. I just submitted my UCSF financial aid package, i hope its not too late since they say submit as soon as you get your acceptance. waht UC do you go to?

Hangin out on the beach in SB. Are you still deciding between loma linda and UCSF?

Is anyone looking for housing? I'm looking for places close to campus, within walking distance, and want to know if anyone was interested in sharing a flat.

nothen2do said:
Hangin out on the beach in SB. Are you still deciding between loma linda and UCSF?

I don't mean to correct you but he was deciding between Loma Linda and UOP. I remember because I tore him up about it hehe. All in good fun right DREDAY?

EyeAmCommi said:
I don't mean to correct you but he was deciding between Loma Linda and UOP. I remember because I tore him up about it hehe. All in good fun right DREDAY?

yup, And I already decided on UCSF. I laredy got my housing approved at mission bay and got my apt. Anyone else living at the mission bay housing?

I applied for mission bay housing on Monday and got an email today telling me that they assigned me to a room and would be sending me the contract. I opted for the studio b/c I may have visitors during the year and wouldnt want them to have to fork money out for a hotel. The only question is can I afford a studio??? I believe the max housing allowance is 925 + 200 so 1125. Am I right about that or does that ONLY apply if you live off campus?

J2AZ said:
I applied for mission bay housing on Monday and got an email today telling me that they assigned me to a room and would be sending me the contract. I opted for the studio b/c I may have visitors during the year and wouldnt want them to have to fork money out for a hotel. The only question is can I afford a studio??? I believe the max housing allowance is 925 + 200 so 1125. Am I right about that or does that ONLY apply if you live off campus?

I think that is the max housing allowance regardless. But i am not sure. But anyways who cares if you have guests. I think they just put the visitor regulation as precautionary in case something happens so they can cover their bases. But im sure you can have people over whenever you want as long as its cool with your roomies. dont trip.

Hi Everyone,
I will be at UCSF this fall! Wow, i do not see any entries since June! Where r u all? Hope everyone is having a gala time :)
I would like to know if anyone has received their financial aid packet?

BTW i too have been assigned housing at Mission Bay.

Members don't see this ad :)
indent said:
Hi Everyone,
I will be at UCSF this fall! Wow, i do not see any entries since June! Where r u all? Hope everyone is having a gala time :)
I would like to know if anyone has received their financial aid packet?

BTW i too have been assigned housing at Mission Bay.

I havent gotten my financial aid packet yet, but I have gotten a letter telling met that my financial aid packed should be coming soon. Im also working on getting my immunizations out of the way. Are you male or female Indent? what apt will you be livin in?

dre

DREDAY said:
I havent gotten my financial aid packet yet, but I have gotten a letter telling met that my financial aid packed should be coming soon. Im also working on getting my immunizations out of the way. Are you male or female Indent? what apt will you be livin in?

dre

Financial aid office told me my packet will be coming in mid August. I only need to get my TB test done, everything else seems to be in place. Dre, I am female. I will be livin in a I BD apt ( North Bldg). I did go to check out the place in June, but the place was still under construction. I hope it is ready in time.

Hey guys,

Im at the same stage as you all. I will be at mission bay in a studio with a move in date in september. I just finished the vacination stuff and will be sending it out this week.

I think Im in the north building too. Im moving in, in sept. Im going in aug to chekc out the apt. Btw since we dont know who our roomates are going to be, how do they determine who takes which room? or is it first come first serve basis?

DREDAY said:
I think Im in the north building too. Im moving in, in sept. Im going in aug to chekc out the apt. Btw since we dont know who our roomates are going to be, how do they determine who takes which room? or is it first come first serve basis?

I am moving on the 10th of Sept. I am planning to check out the place too.Btw N.Bldg opens up only on the 25th of Aug. So check with the Mission Bay Office before u stop by (Ph# 415-514-4550, functional only from 11th Aug). I also got a letter from the Fin aid off effectively saying the award letter is on its way :rolleyes:

Dreday, i do not have to worry about roomates. my roomie is my husband :)

Is any one going to the camp organised by the D1 class? I will most probably be going.

I will be going to the camping trip should be fun. I am not moving in till sept 14 and I think im in the West building not the north. They allowd you to live with your husband at Campus housing? i thought they only allowed students to live on campus. In either case thats awesome!

dre

indent said:
I am moving on the 10th of Sept. I am planning to check out the place too.Btw N.Bldg opens up only on the 25th of Aug. So check with the Mission Bay Office before u stop by (Ph# 415-514-4550, functional only from 11th Aug). I also got a letter from the Fin aid off effectively saying the award letter is on its way :rolleyes:

Dreday, i do not have to worry about roomates. my roomie is my husband :)

Is any one going to the camp organised by the D1 class? I will most probably be going.

Hi, I am going to be attending Stanford University as a freshman this fall and I am interested in dentistry. I don't know if I should transfer because I ve been hearing that where I go to school doesn't really matter. Since it seems generally true that getting a good grade at Stanford is relatively harder, would it be better for me to tranfer to a "less-competitive" school if such thing really existed? It seems there's absolutely no reason to go to Stanford if the name of the school isnt a factor at all..

getting a good grade at stanfurd isn't hard at all... u pay for them. ;-)

(berkeley grad here...)

binsbts said:
Hi, I am going to be attending Stanford University as a freshman this fall and I am interested in dentistry. I don't know if I should transfer because I ve been hearing that where I go to school doesn't really matter. Since it seems generally true that getting a good grade at Stanford is relatively harder, would it be better for me to tranfer to a "less-competitive" school if such thing really existed? It seems there's absolutely no reason to go to Stanford if the name of the school isnt a factor at all..

Hello all, I was out of the country for the past 5 weeks and I guess I didn't miss too much (jk). My sister went to Stanford (she loved it) and she didn't have too tough a time getting good grades. Why transfer, Stanford is a great school and you should be proud to have been accepted. School is what you make of it, and I think that you'll do equally as well there as anywhere else. I would think that Stanford stands out somewhat to the adcoms. Personally, I would not give up a spot there, I mean they have their own golf course! Good luck, Im sure youll do great whereever you attend.

BTW, Im moving up in a week, hope to see some people up there!

nothen2do said:
Hello all, I was out of the country for the past 5 weeks and I guess I didn't miss too much (jk). My sister went to Stanford (she loved it) and she didn't have too tough a time getting good grades. Why transfer, Stanford is a great school and you should be proud to have been accepted. School is what you make of it, and I think that you'll do equally as well there as anywhere else. I would think that Stanford stands out somewhat to the adcoms. Personally, I would not give up a spot there, I mean they have their own golf course! Good luck, Im sure youll do great whereever you attend.

BTW, Im moving up in a week, hope to see some people up there!

I totally agree with Nothen2do's advice. The name Stanford speaks out for you to the adcoms! If you screw up your grades, you could make up on the standard test DAT. Join club to make friends, even get married (no joke!). That's invaluable at ivy schools. A Vanderbilt grad here ...

binsbts said:

Has anyone gotten the Dell Laptop recommendation letter? I just got it yesterday and am wondering what you guys are gonna do.

DREDAY said:
Has anyone gotten the Dell Laptop recommendation letter? I just got it yesterday and am wondering what you guys are gonna do.

I just got a G4 Powerbook from Apple. I know there is that VPN prb with the new Tiger OS but it can easily be bypassed if you install the Panther OS that comes along with the laptop. Personally I like MACs better because my PC always freeze up on me, but Dell is pretty good from what I hear. THe specs they have on the letter is similar to what is on the G4 Powerbook except the Powerbook Processor is 1.5Ghz, but the powerbook has a 80GB Hard drive. You win some ...you lose some. With the student discount at the Apple Store pre-tax without any additional upgrades for a 15'' powerbook is 1799 so not that far off from the Dell Latitude D610

Red823 said:
I just got a G4 Powerbook from Apple. I know there is that VPN prb with the new Tiger OS but it can easily be bypassed if you install the Panther OS that comes along with the laptop. Personally I like MACs better because my PC always freeze up on me, but Dell is pretty good from what I hear. THe specs they have on the letter is similar to what is on the G4 Powerbook except the Powerbook Processor is 1.5Ghz, but the powerbook has a 80GB Hard drive. You win some ...you lose some. With the student discount at the Apple Store pre-tax without any additional upgrades for a 15'' powerbook is 1799 so not that far off from the Dell Latitude D610

Did you get the 3 year on-site warranty and tehcnical support and all taht stuff?

ALso I have a PC which meets the requirements, if the laptop will really come in handy.

DREDAY said:
Did you get the 3 year on-site warranty and tehcnical support and all taht stuff?

ALso I have a PC which meets the requirements, if the laptop will really come in handy.

I didn't get the extra Apple Care because I'm still thinking whether or not it's necessary. People I know who've used the powerbook for years didn't have any prbs with it so they said getting it is not necessary.

I think having a laptop would be handy in case you'd want to do things away from home, but I don't think it's necessary if you already have a PC that meets the requirements. After all, there are computers everywhere on campus.

Hi everyone! I'm looking forward to meeting you all next month -- I can't believe it's so soon already. I was wondering if you guys have done anything for registration? I hadn't received any real info, and was wondering if I'm the only one.

Also, is anyone going to the CDA meeting in SF at the beginning of Sep?? :)

tfairy12 said:
Hi everyone! I'm looking forward to meeting you all next month -- I can't believe it's so soon already. I was wondering if you guys have done anything for registration? I hadn't received any real info, and was wondering if I'm the only one.

Also, is anyone going to the CDA meeting in SF at the beginning of Sep?? :)

Hi! I received some info on registration on saturday(8/13). have you checked to see if u have any holds on your account? Like student health, transcripts, etc? I have been working on stuff like that. I guess that is all we need to do before we register. The schedule that has been mailed to me shows we all register on the 19th of Sept.
I was excited to see our first week class schedule in the mail :)

I got the same packet. It only sucks that the white coat ceremony is on a thursday at 3pm meaning not many people will be able to make it. yeah i was excited too, but nervous at same time.

indent said:
Hi! I received some info on registration on saturday(8/13). have you checked to see if u have any holds on your account? Like student health, transcripts, etc? I have been working on stuff like that. I guess that is all we need to do before we register. The schedule that has been mailed to me shows we all register on the 19th of Sept.
I was excited to see our first week class schedule in the mail :)

DREDAY said:
I got the same packet. It only sucks that the white coat ceremony is on a thursday at 3pm meaning not many people will be able to make it. yeah i was excited too, but nervous at same time.

What is the date of the white coat ceremony? I don't have a packet yet!

sugarholic said:
What is the date of the white coat ceremony? I don't have a packet yet!

Its on 09/29/05 at 3:00 p.m.

indent said:
Its on 09/29/05 at 3:00 p.m.

Hi guys,

Just in case you haven't been checking...the fees for Fall 2005 are finally posted on the OAR website (kinda scary to see how much it will cost for one quarter). Hopefully everyone already register their "intent to register" since that is due by August 18th according to the letter the registrar sent out.

For those who are not residents of San Francisco, when are you guys moving there? I'm going to be there right smack during Labor day weekend.

Oh...there is a Stem Cell Research Panel on Sept 20th at the Mission Bay Conference Center...7pm I believe. It's free but it's limited capacity for seating though...I just found out about it by aimless browsing but if anyone is interested I thought I post it here...

Red823 said:
Hi guys,

Just in case you haven't been checking...the fees for Fall 2005 are finally posted on the OAR website (kinda scary to see how much it will cost for one quarter). Hopefully everyone already register their "intent to register" since that is due by August 18th according to the letter the registrar sent out.

For those who are not residents of San Francisco, when are you guys moving there? I'm going to be there right smack during Labor day weekend.

Oh...there is a Stem Cell Research Panel on Sept 20th at the Mission Bay Conference Center...7pm I believe. It's free but it's limited capacity for seating though...I just found out about it by aimless browsing but if anyone is interested I thought I post it here...

Hi
Yes,I saw that. They have posted nonres tutuion in my account when actually I am a resident!(that is an extra $4081!). They r working on correcting that at the OAR. So guys, keep an eye on what the details have to say.

I also found out that Laptops are NOT mandatory. U could own a PC with required specifications and get by. But u would run into trouble in the labs. u r required to access a tooth atlas during lab which will be installed on your PC/laptop.They also SRONGLY recommended getting DELL Vs anyother.

indent said:
Hi
Yes,I saw that. They have posted nonres tutuion in my account when actually I am a resident!(that is an extra $4081!). They r working on correcting that at the OAR. So guys, keep an eye on what the details have to say.

I also found out that Laptops are NOT mandatory. U could own a PC with required specifications and get by. But u would run into trouble in the labs. u r required to access a tooth atlas during lab which will be installed on your PC/laptop.They also SRONGLY recommended getting DELL Vs anyother.

DUDE the same thing happened to me! They have me as non resident. How do I fix that!?

DREDAY said:
DUDE the same thing happened to me! They have me as non resident. How do I fix that!?

I called them up and they said that they are working on changing the status for everyone. If you want really want to make sure, give them a call at: (415) 476-8280.

DREDAY said:

I called OAR. They verified to see if my documents reflected my resident status and said they would change the online statement.OAR#(415)476-8280

indent said:
I called OAR. They verified to see if my documents reflected my resident status and said they would change the online statement.OAR#(415)476-8280

how can you guys tell if they charged you resident or non-resident? anyway I had checked my account earlier today and just checked again right now and I think they already changed it because my balance due is different......but now I have another quesion....what do they mean by offsets? also...i have a balance due right now so does that mean financial aid won't cover everything or do i have to wait until after financial aid is disbursed to get my fees covered??????

excite4 said:
how can you guys tell if they charged you resident or non-resident? anyway I had checked my account earlier today and just checked again right now and I think they already changed it because my balance due is different......but now I have another quesion....what do they mean by offsets? also...i have a balance due right now so does that mean financial aid won't cover everything or do i have to wait until after financial aid is disbursed to get my fees covered??????

In the Fees column listing the various things that are charged, there should be a NonRes row. If there is something around 4K next to it then you're charged a non-resident fee. I called OAR this morning and they are changing everyone alphabetically so those with last names in the latter half of the alphabet, have no fear.

I believe "offsets" are any grants/scholarship that are part of your financial aid packet that will automatically be deducted from your total fees. The remaining balance due is what you have to pay through loans or your own money. Yes, I believe you'd have to wait for your checks to get disbursed from your lender and thus be sent to the Fin Aid Office where you can pick those up and deposit them into your account then pay the remaining balance at the Registrar on the specified days in person or mail it in.

Yeah I called the lady today at OAR and she said the same thing that shes changing people's status from non-resident to resident. Also, do you guys know if we are supposed to register for our courses now or do we wait till orientation. And also do we need to pay off the feee balance now? or do we wait till we get our financial aid check on the 19th?

DREDAY said:
Yeah I called the lady today at OAR and she said the same thing that shes changing people's status from non-resident to resident. Also, do you guys know if we are supposed to register for our courses now or do we wait till orientation. And also do we need to pay off the feee balance now? or do we wait till we get our financial aid check on the 19th?

I'm under the impression that registering for classes = filing a study list. Looks like we do that on the 19th? Hopefully, they'll give us more info at orientation, since I'd have no clue how to choose teachers/classes, etc.

I don't think I've received a orientation packet. Who sent you guys the info on the white coat ceremony?? I need to call the office to let them know they missed me... :(

Do we enroll and pay everything on 19th?

Hmm, pretty much confusing.

I think I should call them up after labor day.

penguinteeth said:
Do we enroll and pay everything on 19th?

Hmm, pretty much confusing.

I think I should call them up after labor day.

don't worry about paying. since you guys are an incoming class, they'll give you some grace period. at least that's what they did last year. i waited until i got my checks. just make sure you have enough time to deposit them and write a check because sometimes if your lender is from another state it can take some time to process. as for registering classes, i'm pretty sure they'll walk you through it during orientation. if you feel really compelled to, you can file your intent to register on oar i believe. but if i were you, i would just wait for orientation (unless you are told to do otherwise by a letter or something) and just do whatever they tell you. don't worry about it too much. they accepted you so they're going to try their best to make sure that you make it through ok. ok, see you guys this fall.

Hey guys!

In this year, we have 55 females and 25 males in the class.

What an lucky guy I am? :smuggrin:

Last year there was 53 males. Hmm....

Are males getting dumber year by year?

We should call this Simpson Syndrome

penguinteeth said:
Hey guys!

In this year, we have 55 females and 25 males in the class.

What an lucky guy I am? :smuggrin:

Last year there was 53 males. Hmm....

Are males getting dumber year by year?

We should call this Simpson Syndrome

actually i think it was 43 males and 38 females for last year. but man...what happened to your class!?!? not that i'm complaining or anything... :laugh:

DREDAY said:

Dreday and all,
I am moving to the north building on the 10th. The problem is USPS tells me that the new address (525 UCSF Lane, SFO, CA 94158) doesn't exist!!!
So I am not able to forward my mail to this address. Have any of you had the same problem? If yes, what did you do to get your mail forwarded?

More trouble: They told us that our apt in the north building may not be ready for about two weeks because of construction delays! So, we've been allocated temporary housing.

indent said:
Dreday and all,
I am moving to the north building on the 10th. The problem is USPS tells me that the new address (525 UCSF Lane, SFO, CA 94158) doesn't exist!!!
So I am not able to forward my mail to this address. Have any of you had the same problem? If yes, what did you do to get your mail forwarded?

More trouble: They told us that our apt in the north building may not be ready for about two weeks because of construction delays! So, we've been allocated temporary housing.

hi indent!

Yep, Mission Bay housing is still very much unfinished. I'm already moved in to where I'm supposed to be (west building). Just a word of warning though...the rooms are not as "spacious" as it may appear on the schematic, but everything else is pretty good. Housing people are very nice and accomodating. Just a few more things to let everyone who's moving into Mission Bay know...

1. Make sure you have an ethernet cable to link your computer or laptop since it is NOT wireless. Why? They say it's to limit the downloading and what not. Those of you moving in now are lucky because the ethernet is working much better now. A couple of days ago, it was on and off intermittently.

2. Those of you in the West building will get 15% off the rent for the on going construction inconvenience. Those of you who has to be allocated elsewhere till your building is finished will get free help moving and I believe either free rent or 80% off your rental...don't quote me on that since I don't have that paper infront of me.

3. There is now an express shuttle service from MB to Parnassus campus early in the morning till 10:10am and later on in the late afternoon till 7:00pm. This is the one that goes straight to campus without making any stops in between. Other shuttles do make some stops but they run all the time. Just look for the BIG charter Coach 21 bus for this express shuttle.

4. Some rooms don't have blinds yet but if you're all coming on the 10th and beyond it should be fine. They are installing most of the remaining blinds today.

5. The keys to the locks maybe a bit hard to open at first because it's so new so don't be alarmed. It takes two complete turns of the key to lock and unlock.

6. There are some changes to the address for the North building I believe. You should call and check with the housing office. Also, most mail are kept by the housing office so if any packages are sent just refer them to the housing office address.

Well I hope this will help...

I'm actually heading back to So Cal tomorrow (10th) then coming back on the (18th), but I look forward to meeting with everyone! Feel free to email me: [email protected]

Cheers!

Hey Red,

what type of apt did you get? and if you live in a shared apt, what room letter did you get, a b c or d.

DREDAY said:
Hey Red,

what type of apt did you get? and if you live in a shared apt, what room letter did you get, a b c or d.

I live in the West building in a 4 bedroom apt. I'm in B.

When are you coming Dreday?

Red823 said:
I live in the West building in a 4 bedroom apt. I'm in B.

When are you coming Dreday?

Well I am in brazil right now and dont return to cali till the 14th. then i need to go to sf that same day to try to buy my bed, desk, and all that ish and have everything ready by the weekend. I have bedroom C, do you think a qeen size bed and a large desk, and a dresser would fit in there, or should i opt for a FULL instead. Im in a 4 bedroom apt also, and i think its in the 3rd floor, but im not sure what building. I am wandering what my roomates and I are gonna do about furnishing the place.