UCSF dental students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

howui3

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying right now and was wondering if the school has any programs which allow dental students to visit 3rd world countries (or even underprivileged areas of SF) and provide dental care.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
howui3 said:
guess not.

most schools do, and i don't think UCSF is an exception. If they don't, most schools would allow you to join them on an outreach trip. i know of group from 3 schools that went out to guatemala. regarding underprivileged areas of SF, dental public health (dentists working in underserved/underprivileged areas) is encouraged very strongly in schools throughout the country so you shouldn't have a problem with that. email someone at the school (community dentistry/dental public health dept). we need more future-dentists like you.

howui3 said:
I am applying right now and was wondering if the school has any programs which allow dental students to visit 3rd world countries (or even underprivileged areas of SF) and provide dental care.

Thanks.

There are not any programs like this at UCSF. The school has had a liability issue with this ever since a nursing student sued UCLA after he/she was injured on some relief trip (this is something I heard second hand, so don't put too much weight on it). So now the whole UC system is on pins and needles about any sort of international trip being endorsed by the school. Many students from UCSF have done international work. The catch is you just cannot be endorsed by UCSF; you must go through another avenue (like Flying Doctors).

gbdental said:
There are not any programs like this at UCSF. The school has had a liability issue with this ever since a nursing student sued UCLA after he/she was injured on some relief trip (this is something I heard second hand, so don't put too much weight on it). So now the whole UC system is on pins and needles about any sort of international trip being endorsed by the school. Many students from UCSF have done international work. The catch is you just cannot be endorsed by UCSF; you must go through another avenue (like Flying Doctors).

thank you! this is exactly what I was looking for.

I really wanted to do study abroad. I wanted to do it for a quarter or semester though. You'll have a tough time finding any US dental school willing to let you do this simply because each one likes to have control over curriculum and they can't do that if you're learning in another country. There are plenty of organizations (religious and secular) that do missionary trips. I went on one after my 1st year and it was oustanding.

drhobie7 said:
I really wanted to do study abroad. I wanted to do it for a quarter or semester though. You'll have a tough time finding any US dental school willing to let you do this simply because each one likes to have control over curriculum and they can't do that if you're learning in another country. There are plenty of organizations (religious and secular) that do missionary trips. I went on one after my 1st year and it was oustanding.

which one did you go on? and where?

howui3 said:
which one did you go on? and where?

My buddy found some trip through the local chapter of the Christian dental and medical association. We went down to Ensenada for a weekend after 1st year. We were extracting teeth before we even learned to do local anesthesia. :laugh: I'm not religious but it didn't matter. Other students have gone to Cuba and two of my classmates are going to Thialand for 2 weeks! That's going to be awesome. Like the other poster said, this is all 'under the table' and not affiliated with the school. It seems the people in religious organizations have the best connections with these trips since these organizations do a lot of missionary work. They just don't party as hard after the work day is done. :D