UCSF Housing thread for the incoming students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indiandentist

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
As i was accepted at UCSF and i would like to know the issues about the UCSF. I request each UCSF incoming students and the current students to contribute about the hosuing in UCSF. I applied for the oncampus housing and i have to start looking for offcampus too. I would like to know how to procced with these things and any suggestions will be deeply appreciated.

Have a nice day

Indiandentist:clap: :clap: :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by indiandentist
Hi,
As i was accepted at UCSF and i would like to know the issues about the UCSF. I request each UCSF incoming students and the current students to contribute about the hosuing in UCSF. I applied for the oncampus housing and i have to start looking for offcampus too. I would like to know how to procced with these things and any suggestions will be deeply appreciated.

Have a nice day

Indiandentist:clap: :clap: :clap:

When are you planning on moving?

Where are you moving from?

What are your conditions of housing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Henna
Welcome to UCSF !:thumbup:

Thanx a lot Henna...

I wil be happy if u could guide us to know more about housing along with rest of the people like organic and so on....

Have a nice day and all the best

Indiandentist

Originally posted by organic
When are you planning on moving?

Where are you moving from?

What are your conditions of housing?

Hi Organic,
How r u? As per the accomodation, i dont have any preference whether to stay only on campus or offcampus. I am willing to stay some where near the school so that everything will be fine. And right now i am in Kentucky, but i will come to UCSF from india as i am going to india for vacation before start of the program to relax my self a little. And coming to the conditions, i think i can share and i can live separately also. So basically i need a reasonable accomodation like everyone expetcs.

I will be very happy of u can throw some light on this and i request others to contribute a little so that it will be very help ful to all of us.

Have a nice day

Indiandentist

Thanx a lot Henna...

I wil be happy if u could guide us to know more about housing along with rest of the people like organic and so on....

Have a nice day and all the best

Indiandentist

Hi,

If you are interested in info about rental houses ( these are not part of UCSF housing) you can send me a PM.

Henna

Hi Organic,
How r u? As per the accomodation, i dont have any preference whether to stay only on campus or offcampus. I am willing to stay some where near the school so that everything will be fine. And right now i am in Kentucky, but i will come to UCSF from india as i am going to india for vacation before start of the program to relax my self a little. And coming to the conditions, i think i can share and i can live separately also. So basically i need a reasonable accomodation like everyone expetcs.

I will be very happy of u can throw some light on this and i request others to contribute a little so that it will be very help ful to all of us.

Have a nice day

Indiandentist

Hi Indiandentist

there is a book called Zany's San FRancisco Apartment sales and rental guide, it gives you details about nieghborhoods, almost all neighborhoods are ok around the school, except that Mission District( not direct bordering but it is where the clinics are around ....I remember ) is a bit at the limit for security. I don't especially opt for on- campus housing for the reason that my husband needs to commute and I don't want to live in the fog. but on- campus housing has parking, that is the advantage of it.

if you want to share accommodation with a roommate, you should definitely use Housing center to match up with roommates. It will be cheaper and you will have a nicer appartment. We looked at some of the 3 bed-room rentals, gosh, they are really awesome. ( off campus)

For a one-bed room appartment, $1200 -1400 rent is pretty reasonable, studio is around $980-1200.

The other day, I saw a 1000 Sq feet loft at downtown financial district, all furnished, extremely nice, guarded, swimming pool, gym....view of the city...........oh..........:wow:

voila, I don't know what else you want to know, but pretty much, you just want to search around for your future perfect spot. There are MANY empty spaces in SF, looking for an appartment isn't that hard anymore.

Originally posted by organic
Hi Indiandentist

there is a book called Zany's San FRancisco Apartment sales and rental guide, it gives you details about nieghborhoods, almost all neighborhoods are ok around the school, except that Mission

For a one-bed room appartment, $1200 -1400 rent is pretty reasonable, studio is around $980-1200.
There are MANY empty spaces in SF, looking for an appartment isn't that hard anymore.

Hi ,
Thanx for ur reply. I will look forward in that way about the accomodation and can u give me the idea how to get the Zany's SFO apartment sales book. Do u think i can get it online. If u have any idea , do let me know and Thanx a lot once again.

Have a nice day

Indiandentist

Hey,
I am sorry for replying late but i was out of town and had no access to the internet.
Me and another girl who have been accepted are looking to share an an appartment off- campus as we are both married and will have our husbands visit us often. i am coming in from Lincoln, nebraska. I called the housing office and was told that end of april is a good time to start hunting for housing.
Henna is it possible for you to help us too...I hope i am not bothering you too much. we want to stay as close to camus as possible and since we are sharing an apt, our expenditure per head will be cut down.
Indiandentist and Organic....you gave a lot of info too, thanks!
Giffy

....and can u give me the idea how to get the Zany's SFO apartment sales book. Do u think i can get it online. If u have any idea , do let me know and Thanx a lot once again.

I'm interested in getting that book as well please. thanks.

Originally posted by Giffy

Henna is it possible for you to help us too...I hope i am not bothering you too much. we want to stay as close to camus as possible and since we are sharing an apt, our expenditure per head will be cut down.

Check PM .

Thanks Henna. Your PM box is full so i thought i shud thank you here.
All the best
Giffy

sorry I replied late too

I found the book at Borders, I am sure you can find it in all major bookstores, like B& N....if you are living outside the bay, try Amazon.com

their publisher's website: oyobooks.com
ISBN 1-929377-53-3

Thank you organic.

Hi Megg

You cann also check at http://www.craigslist.org/

there are a lot of rental spaces available at Russian Hills, where UOP is. It is a pricier neighborhood, but if you search hard, you will find some nice appartment.

Check before weekend, there are usually a huge amount of postings on Friday or Sat for weekend open house.