UCSF interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yea, I am kind of disappointed for not hearing from USC and NYU (although they are not my top choices), but I thought I at least deserve an interview for the fees that I paid for. I also talk to some other girls at my interview and the same thing happened to them too. What is wrong with those school? I just saw the other thread saying USC is only 1/4 full now, what are they really doing these days?

Xpheene, don't be sad, I will feel proud just by having an interview at UCSF, and that was what my shadowing dentist told me too.

You should try contacting both schools instead of just waiting to hear from them. You have a good application according to predents.

Members don't see this ad.

Yea I think USC & NYU screen out some of the top applicants cause they feel like those applicants are applying to their schools as backup. Which might be you if you were good enough to be selected for UCSF interview. Sending a letter with your interest in those schools would definitely help to let them know that you didn't apply to them as a backup..

Yea I think USC & NYU screen out some of the top applicants cause they feel like those applicants are applying to their schools as backup. Which might be you if you were good enough to be selected for UCSF interview. Sending a letter with your interest in those schools would definitely help to let them know that you didn't apply to them as a backup..

Doubt this very much. More likely it's out of state with 17 QR and 17 RC that did it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my interview last Friday the Jan 30, and got a call from James that I was put on the alternative list at position #8, a little disappointed but still have a lot of hope...I heard last years they pick up to 30s people from the wait-list right?

Doubt this very much. More likely it's out of state with 17 QR and 17 RC that did it.

USC & NYU are private. and for cali residents, USC would be 'in state'.

so.. i am not as sad as i thought i would be after getting waitlisted (may be because i saw it coming).... but there is one question that bothers me..

What is SF looking for??

-its definately not high GPA and DAT scores,
-its definately not loads of research with multiple fellowships and publications,
-its definately not more than decent amount of leadership, community service, dental shadowing, extracurricular activities...

cuz, a lot of people with all of the above did not get in this year...and were waitlisted.

so, then... what exactly is UCSF looking for in an applicant? may be the accepted people might be able to respond better....

so.. i am not as sad as i thought i would be after getting waitlisted (may be because i saw it coming).... but there is one question that bothers me..

What is SF looking for??

-its definately not loads of research with multiple fellowships and publications,
-its definately not more than decent amount of leadership, community service, dental shadowing, extracurricular activities...

cuz, a lot of people with all of the above did not get in this year...and were waitlisted.

so, then... what exactly is UCSF looking for in an applicant? may be the accepted people might be able to respond better....

A lot has to do with your interview. It's probably weighted pretty heavily.

Yea, Mr. Bebetze told us that once you make it to the interview the numbers/extracurrics don't really matter anymore and it's the interview that make or break the deal... It seems like UCSF interview is pickier than some of the other schools out there..

At my interview, they did not ask anything about the numbers at all, I guess they just assume we are good enough to be there? Both of the interviewers asked very basic and common questions too. I have no idea what they really looking for. I'll say probably it's the enthusiasm, passion, and compassion?:rolleyes:

The interview is closed file... meaning that the interviewers do not know what your academic weaknesses and strengths are. I think they do that on purpose as not to bias their opinion of your personality. Not sure what they are looking for though.

To answer an earlier question I'm not so sure what they are exactly looking for in an applicant. I applied with the same numbers and virtually the same experience last application cycle and didn't even get an interview. This year I made the first batch of interviewees and got in on the first day of acceptances.

Good luck to people who are still waiting. As a re-applicant myself I know what it is like and I wish the best for you.

should i give bob a call? I had an inty early dec and havent heard about acceptance or waitlist...
im scared hes going to say rejected :(

What is SF looking for??

Many people can look "good" on just papers. I think UCSF wants to make sure that you are what you claim to be, and that you have the interpersonal skills desired for a dentist. Interviewing you without previous bias (i.e. closed file) is a big factor in this assessment. We don't have all ~300 of the applications with interview in front us to judge whether the applicants they made offer to are with extensive research/publication record and/or with leadership experiences. You do have a better access to the numbers, though, like GPA and DAT scores. You cannot get a full sense of the applicant pool without knowing all the details in each application, and I think it's silly to try to guess what "they" are looking for.

Just be true to yourself, work hard, and when you believe in what you do, things will work out with the school you are best suited for. Don't underestimate the school's skill in assessing who they believe are good fit for them. They have done this for many many years.

should i give bob a call? I had an inty early dec and havent heard about acceptance or waitlist...
im scared hes going to say rejected :(

so i caved and called, Bob said that aadsas will be updated tomorrow, but since I havent heard anything I am probably rejected and should expect something in the mail soon.
not a happy camper...

I haven't got anything also. Maybe it's the essay?