UCSF or UOP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

playa2652

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted into UCSF, UOP, and USC, but my top two choices are UOP and UCSF because I live near SF. I also want to specialize after dental school, right now I'm thinking maybe endodontics, but it might change later on. Can someone please shed some light on the pros and cons of the schools and which school would be the best for me to reach my goal.

Members don't see this ad.

Some would say UCSF is a better choice but if you think about it, UOP's students mainly want to GP so you would have an edge to specialize there if you try. I heard UOP mainly teach students to pass the board and come out working. Plus UCSF seems too competitive to specialize there.

I dunno about UOP putting out mostly GPs, the lady from UOP that just gave a presentation at our school said that over half their students specialize (obviously a large portion of those are GPR and AEGD), but it still sounds pretty competitive to me. UCSF is the same way. I like UCSF's smaller class size and cheaper tuition. I think UOP is a great school, but it's big draw is mainly that 3 year program (which leaves you without vacation). Pros and cons, but the main ones I think are time vs. money

Members don't see this ad :)
faster output for UOP makes a big difference. I like UCSF too. I guess you have more time to do things.

faster output for UOP makes a big difference. I like UCSF too. I guess you have more time to do things.
I have the exact same situation. I am not considering USC even though I am from la, anyway I posted the same post earlier and got some good insight, look at it!

:)

UoP, it is a great school! You graduate in 3 years and they have strong alumni connections. UoP cares about students and it is one of best dental schools in California. It's true that you pay a higher tuition but then you graduate early and you can either hit the market and work or specialize. My sister graduated from UoP and she loves the school. If it was me, I was choosing UoP, but it is your choice and at the end of the day you are the decider.

UOP is cool, I give the program credit...but dayum UCSF is ballin'

The UOP alumni connections is truly awesome. They also have Dr. Yarborough, who is an amazing person, and really cares about his students.

UoP because UoP lacks specialty programs which means you'll be able to see more of the advanced cases in endo n prostho which would look good when ur applying for specialty programs. :) lots of practice and experience... plus u'll have less time in school...

UoP....especially if you want to do endodontics. Their undergrad endo program is VERY well known (check other UoP threads)

I'm curious to see which school this guy picks. So far, the votes on this thread has been an overwhelming UoP. But I also recognize that of those students that say UoP, 100% of them were either rejected by UCSF or just never heard back from them. At least, that's what their predents say.

I'm curious to see which school this guy picks. So far, the votes on this thread has been an overwhelming UoP. But I also recognize that of those students that say UoP, 100% of them were either rejected by UCSF or just never heard back from them. At least, that's what their predents say.

7 people said 'UoP' and only 2 have predents accounts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Important factors to consider:
UCSF: Smaller class size, less expensive (Last time I looked at it was ~$50,000 less for a CA resident), P/F, more substantial breaks and free time, has all specialty programs on campus, well regarded university in biomedicine (If that's important to you).

Pacific: 3 year program, highly non-competitive environment, humanistic model of education, advanced procedures go to DDS students (complex prosth, endo and perio), university well regarded in dentistry.

You can't really go wrong here.

Important factors to consider:
UCSF: Smaller class size, less expensive (Last time I looked at it was ~$50,000 less for a CA resident), P/F, more substantial breaks and free time, has all specialty programs on campus, well regarded university in biomedicine (If that's important to you).

Pacific: 3 year program, highly non-competitive environment, humanistic model of education, advanced procedures go to DDS students (complex prosth, endo and perio), university well regarded in dentistry.

You can't really go wrong here.

WoW! UoP is appealing to me with the non-competitive environment and advanced cases. Gotta be exposed to those if you wanna be a great dentist.

UCSF is pass/fail....now thats non-competitive if u ask me...

7 people said 'UoP' and only 2 have predents accounts.

2 linked their accounts to SDN. Many others didn't link it, but they're on predents. Either with identical or similar names.

Look down the list of people accepted for UoP and you'll realize that few were given the opportunity to attend both schools. Of those were given a choice and have already decided which school to go to, all have decided on UCSF. There are, however, a small handful of people who havn't decided. This speaks nothing of the quality of the two schools. It does reflect a trend that occurs every single year. People tend to go to the best school they get into.

Last edited:
People tend to go to the best school they get into.

or the cheapest...

i really think the OP can't go wrong. just go wherever you felt the most comfortable!

or the cheapest...

i really think the OP can't go wrong. just go wherever you felt the most comfortable!

Nah. the majority go to the best school, usually the big 5. When school "quality" is about the same, then they'll go to the cheapest school. Some'll choose Ohio State over Penn, but they're in the minority.

Just be careful when a few of these people say "Clearly UoP." Too many of them were rejected by the other one, and their sentiments about UCSF may be biased.

I had been accepted to both UCSF and UOP. I ended up going with UOP because I felt it was a better fit. Now that I'm done, I have absolutely no regrets. The GPR I'm at has traditionally accepted a lot of UCSF grads in the past, but this year, they made a conscious decision not to accept any.

To the OP,

I see you've chosen UCSF on your predents. Is that your final decision? (Just curious)

UOP has been my first choice since 4 years ago when I started Undergrad.

Ah yes, the old bandwagon. If everyone else is doing it, it must be right!

well, I'm not sure they do it to follow others as much as they do it for themselves. But in all fairness, there are a few people who have gotten into UCSF that UoP has decided to ignore.

To the OP,

I see you've chosen UCSF on your predents. Is that your final decision? (Just curious)

Yeah, I've actually decided to attend UCSF because I want to have an easier pace when going to dental school. I know that at either school, there will be some competition, but I feel that being less stressed makes me a better student because I can gather my thoughts more easily. P/NP grading sounds a lot better to me because I hate being ranked consistently with my fellow peers, which often leads to competition at the undergrad level. I actually go to UOP undergrad, so I am very familiar with the UOP dental school. I really like both schools philosophy in approaching dentistry and what they have to offer for their students. My best friend is actually attending UOP's dental school and he loves it there, but the way he approaches his studies are completely different from the way I approach it.
I also did research with my friend's dad at UOP, who is a professor there, and he is one of the most friendliest dentists I know. Pacific has offered me a great deal of aid in being exposed to dentistry, however, I personally don't feel like I would fit into their curriculum as well as my other fellow peers who have graduated before me.

Yeah, I've actually decided to attend UCSF because I want to have an easier pace when going to dental school. I know that at either school, there will be some competition, but I feel that being less stressed makes me a better student because I can gather my thoughts more easily. P/NP grading sounds a lot better to me because I hate being ranked consistently with my fellow peers, which often leads to competition at the undergrad level. I actually go to UOP undergrad, so I am very familiar with the UOP dental school. I really like both schools philosophy in approaching dentistry and what they have to offer for their students. My best friend is actually attending UOP's dental school and he loves it there, but the way he approaches his studies are completely different from the way I approach it.
I also did research with my friend's dad at UOP, who is a professor there, and he is one of the most friendliest dentists I know. Pacific has offered me a great deal of aid in being exposed to dentistry, however, I personally don't feel like I would fit into their curriculum as well as my other fellow peers who have graduated before me.

Sounds like you've made a well reasoned choice. Congratulations!

congrats man but that rules out rooming together haha I just hope that I can make my decision soon waiting for UW. good luck on ur lab exam oh wait urs is with ur final right?

The fact that UCSF basically has all the specialties means that you'll have more exposure to them because we have mandatory clinical rotations there. (We because that's where I'm going. =D) And despite what people say about a school with specialties and lack exposure to those procedures, etc., UCSF students have the highest productivity per dental student. Plus, it really doesn't matter if you are exposed to endo at UoP if you're going to specialize anyway. That argument makes no sense.

Bottom line: UCSF>>>>>>>>UoP for GP and Specialty and FUNDAMENTAL BASIC SCIENCES EDUCATION. Just my opinion.

The fact that UCSF basically has all the specialties means that you'll have more exposure to them because we have mandatory clinical rotations there. (We because that's where I'm going. =D) And despite what people say about a school with specialties and lack exposure to those procedures, etc., UCSF students have the highest productivity per dental student. Plus, it really doesn't matter if you are exposed to endo at UoP if you're going to specialize anyway. That argument makes no sense.

Bottom line: UCSF>>>>>>>>UoP for GP and Specialty and FUNDAMENTAL BASIC SCIENCES EDUCATION. Just my opinion.

With all due respect you have no idea what you are talking about.

That is some serious doublespeak to suggest that because you have all the specialties you will get a better education. Oh you will get exposure all right, you will watch as the residents take all the good cases and you will get left holding suction. Sorry pal, Pacific has UCSF hands down when it comes to clinical experience, and everyone familiar with the situation knows it.

So UCSF has the highest productivity per dental student? I am curious as to how you got that information and how you managed to compare that nationwide. I wasnt aware that information was available.

Are you honestly saying that it "doesn't really matter" if you are exposed to endo at Pacific if you plan on specializing? You realize that the OP wants to specialize in endo right? I would suggest that getting as much exposure as possible in whatever field you plan on specializing in is pretty important. How are you going to explain your passion for the field to whatever program is thinking about accepting you if you have little to no exposure to it?

UCSF is a good school, don't make it look bad by saying things not based on reality or personal experience.

Bottom line: UCSF>>>>>>>>UoP
[sarcasm]
Wow! That must mean UCSF is like a gazillion times better than UOP or any other school! That means it is the best school on Earth in the universe!
[/sarcasm]

I personally made my decision because I wanted more time and exposure to the different dental specialties before going onto specialty programs or GPR. I actually took the time to weigh out all the different scenarios on how I would personally complete dental school and I feel that Pacific has one of the strongest doctoral programs for preparing there students going into endo. However, I am not sure exactly if I will continue pursuing endo because a lot of people are turned off by it after doing it in sim lab. So, I made my decision carefully and I want both UCSF and UOP ppl to get along, because each program has their pros and cons, whether we decide to note it or not.

Happy Holidays Everyone!

UCSF and UoP are both awesome schools. I realize that because of their close proximity, both schools high rep, difficulty to get accepted into and student pride has made this topic a heated one.

Bottom line is that you really can't go wrong. Sure, there are actually lots of differences between the schools but I think they balance out pretty well. Ironicly, it may have been a real hard decision for you to make but at the same time, you couldn't really have made a, "bad decision" in this case. Consider yourself lucky(you could replace "lucky" with hard work, intellegence and determination:) ) to have to make that decision. Just my opinion.

Oh yeah,.....UCSF Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UoP Bites the Big One!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

UCSF and UoP are both awesome schools. I realize that because of their close proximity, both schools high rep, difficulty to get accepted into and student pride has made this topic a heated one.

Bottom line is that you really can't go wrong. Sure, there are actually lots of differences between the schools but I think they balance out pretty well. Ironicly, it may have been a real hard decision for you to make but at the same time, you couldn't really have made a, "bad decision" in this case. Consider yourself lucky(you could replace "lucky" with hard work, intellegence and determination:) ) to have to make that decision. Just my opinion.

Oh yeah,.....UCSF Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UoP Bites the Big One!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

What he said! 'cept for maybe that last part (jmo). :laugh:

[sarcasm]
Wow! That must mean UCSF is like a gazillion times better than UOP or any other school! That means it is the best school on Earth in the universe!
[/sarcasm]

hahah