UCSF, Penn, or UOP

Discussion in 'Dental' started by Unemployed, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Unemployed

Unemployed Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

All three are great schools. I want to be a GP. I'm from Bay Area, CA.

Prices to attend: UCSF ~200K-216K (cheaper)
    UOP ~256K-272K (3 years)
    PENN ~ 288K (name and gf)

Any wise thoughts from current students or graduates?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. greenday

greenday Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

As a predent, I would go to the school with a 3 letter name and finishes in 3 years. Oh I forgot the name of that school...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. OffAngleHatchet

OffAngleHatchet Likes off-angle hatchets
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Well, you know my preference.

Your girlfriend is @ Penn right now, I'd strongly consider going there.

All are great schools.

You've visited the 3 already, yes? What were your impressions?

4. greenday

greenday Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

OffAngleHatchet / Unemployed,

I didn't visit UCSF or UOP yet, but I have an image of them in my head at night :laugh:

5. crazy_sherm

crazy_sherm å♪▼æ╬‼▄·
    Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Unemployed:
    Choose the one you would see yourself the most comfortable at. The name's not gonna mean much in the end. You'll pass boards no problem and any of the schools.

That being said, you think you'll be marrying your gf? Long distance is a pain in the ass, it never works out the way you hope and if you aren't committed, it's not worth doing.

I didn't apply to UPenn, but I got into UCSF and UOP. Chose UOP because the extra bit of money was worth it for me to actually think I would enjoy dental school. I have no regrets so far.

Offangle:
    Man, shouldn't you be studying anatomy or cariology? btw, Cal whooped Stanfurd's ass!

6. EyeAmCommi

EyeAmCommi Los Angeles Smog
    7+ Year Member

Was there any doubt? My Div I-AA Aggies can whoop Stanford's ass. Anyone can whoop Stanford's ass...

7. Unemployed

Unemployed Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Man...I didn't think it was going to be this hard. I think I'm going to drive up to SF and spend a day at each school. Hopefully, I can figure which school from there. Ahh, I wish I spent more time at Penn...bummer.

As for my relationship w/ my gf of 4 years (MS1 at another school in Philly), I can see myself marrying her. However, I'm only 22 and I don't plan on getting married until my late twenties. I still got so much to see out there. I need to think of my career first. It would be immature to choose a school based on a relationship unless its your fiance or wife. I truly believe that if it's meant to be, it will work out and a relationship that overcomes hardship is so much better than one that has no difficulties at all. Anyone gone through this before? I need a shrink. :scared:

8. superchris147

superchris147 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

god damn long distance is a pain in the ass, but i would still probably go to UOP. I didn't get in there (turned in my application late, not to mention they probably wouldn't have accepted my a$$ anyways) but i would have loved to go there. San Fran is a cool place even though i hate norcal and nothing beats only having 3 years of dental school vs. 4. and everyone and their grandmother always has good things to say about UOP.

i'd say for you, you should probably decide between upenn and uop, ucsf has its pluses, but if you want to just be a GP get out in 3 years, or if you want to stay with your gf go to upenn.

2cents

9. Toothzone

Toothzone Senior Member
    7+ Year Member