UCSF Secondary Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What does IP mean? (IP or Planned)

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks man.. that was quick =)

Members don't see this ad :)
I know someone suggested to leave a question blank if you can't think of anything but is that allowed? I'm just wondering because I'm having a hard time thinking of any educational or observational barriers I had to overcome and I don't want to put any BS down. :(

** Well it says 1-6 is required so I guess I'll have to think harder!!

Does anyone have any information on UCSF's English requirements? On the website it says two courses in English composition but "Scientific, Professional, Technical and Creative Writing classes do not fulfill the English requirement." Does "English composition" simply mean English classes that involve writing papers? I have never taken a class in the English department but plenty with upper-level writing credits.

Quick question to the guys that got UCSF secondaries:

Did all of you guys indicate your DAT scores on the aadsas application or already send UCSF your scores before they sent you guys the application?

Just wondering because I havent gotten an email for a secondary either, but that could be due to the fact that I barely took the DAT last week and they probably might not send me the secondaries till they get the scores.

I know it's early to worry, but I'm just trying to connect the dots hehe.

I know someone suggested to leave a question blank if you can't think of anything but is that allowed? I'm just wondering because I'm having a hard time thinking of any educational or observational barriers I had to overcome and I don't want to put any BS down. :(

same question.

I don't know what a barrier/hardship is...
It is a relative term.

Did all of you guys indicate your DAT scores on the aadsas application or already send UCSF your scores before they sent you guys the application?

Just wondering because I havent gotten an email for a secondary either, but that could be due to the fact that I barely took the DAT last week and they probably might not send me the secondaries till they get the scores.

It can be... I know they screen applicants for minimum GPA and DAT scores before sending out secondary. Maybe give them a call tomorrow and also fax them an unofficial DAT score? I heard it takes 4 weeks for DAT scores to be processed after you take the test so doing something wouldn't hurt.

It can be... I know they screen applicants for minimum GPA and DAT scores before sending out secondary. Maybe give them a call tomorrow and also fax them an unofficial DAT score? I heard it takes 4 weeks for DAT scores to be processed after you take the test so doing something wouldn't hurt.

I just emailed them right now and asked if they would like me to fax the unofficial score report. Hopefully they let me start a secondary so I can get it in to speed up the process a little bit.

I just emailed them right now and asked if they would like me to fax the unofficial score report. Hopefully they let me start a secondary so I can get it in to speed up the process a little bit.

Why don't you just start working on it now. If you meet the reqs then you will get a secondary. I think you can find it on google (I just did).

Why don't you just start working on it now. If you meet the reqs then you will get a secondary. I think you can find it on google (I just did).

Oh I didnt know you can find it on there lol. You sure its the right one?

Oh I didnt know you can find it on there lol. You sure its the right one?

ya, the secondary they send us is a link (the same one as google).

Can you put the link on here please? i'm having trouble finding it. thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)

If it says "Optional" then yes, you're allowed to leave it blank.

Don't freak out just yet! You'll get your secondaries soon.
Don't fax them anything. It has been specifically mentioned on their website not to send them anything unless they ask you.
Just be patient, and you'll get that email soon.

Got a reply lol they told me they only work with official scores so faxing is unnecessary. I guess I'll be waiting till my scores get there in a couple weeks from the ADA or so since date that I took the test.

man I wish I was a good writer. These essays are pain the butt.

OK! Just to make sure everyone knows. This is the 2009 secondary application. There are minor changes for 2010. So, make sure you just use this one as a rough draft!
However, when it comes to mailing out the secondary, make sure you send the 2010 form and not this one!!

No, no, no...you ruined it for me. I was trying to trick everyone so that I could get a head start. :thumbdown:

hahaha

For the General Biology prereq section on the UCSF secondary section what kinds of courses would classify as "general biology"? At my university I had core courses that we took freshman year, and others like genetics, molecular bio, and cell bio. Should I pick and choose?

For the General Biology prereq section on the UCSF secondary section what kinds of courses would classify as "general biology"? At my university I had core courses that we took freshman year, and others like genetics, molecular bio, and cell bio. Should I pick and choose?
Pretty much any combination of bio courses you've taken at school would satisfy that requirement.

For the reapplicant question I'm wondering if I should mention that i am planning to take the dat again and that i am hoping my scores will be higher or just leave the whole dat part out?

For the reapplicant question I'm wondering if I should mention that i am planning to take the dat again and that i am hoping my scores will be higher or just leave the whole dat part out?

Say they WILL be higher ;)

Should I be using all the space they provide for the essays?

I would say write what you want. Do not try and fill up space with extra info.

Also under English Comp, it asks for 3 quarters but there's only space for 2 =( Should I just abbreviate it?

Last edited:
I'm doing the 'why should we choose you' essay and I am out of ideas. Someone enlighten me with some ideas =[

I'm doing the 'why should we choose you' essay and I am out of ideas. Someone enlighten me with some ideas =[

Try relate an aspect of your personality or goals to why it will help you succeed in dentistry.

Also under English Comp, it asks for 3 quarters but there's only space for 2 =( Should I just abbreviate it?

I would also like to know the answer to this. :)

another thing with prerequisites..

the general bio/zoology w/ lab.
Is it asking for 3 bio classes w/ their respective labs or any combination of labs and regular class?

another thing with prerequisites..

the general bio/zoology w/ lab.
Is it asking for 3 bio classes w/ their respective labs or any combination of labs and regular class?

It won't fit if the lectures are not accompanied by their labs (as in chem 1a with chem 1al).
But I think any combo is allowed.

What if I did not take any psychology courses in college?

And also, what's the consensus on what biology courses we can put in there? I took a bunch, and received better grades in the more specific classes such as Human Repro, Cell Bio, etc. than General Bio. Can I go ahead and use those courses instead of general bio or do I strictly have to use Bio 1A type courses for the prereqs?

Thanks for your responses!

What if I did not take any psychology courses in college?
Then you don't satisfy the prerequisites! I'm not sure how this will effect your chances of getting any interviews.
They might still consider you for interview, if the rest of your application impresses them. If they decide to give you admission, they will then ask you to complete a psyc course before starting school at UCSF.
Or, you can put a psyc class that you know will be offered at school under your "Planned Courses," so they know you're planning to take that course in order to satisfy their prerequisites.
And also, what's the consensus on what biology courses we can put in there? I took a bunch, and received better grades in the more specific classes such as Human Repro, Cell Bio, etc. than General Bio. Can I go ahead and use those courses instead of general bio or do I strictly have to use Bio 1A type courses for the prereqs?
This should be obvious. They're asking for GENERAL biology or zoology course, which means you can't use upper division classes, regardless of the fact that you have better grades in them.
Thanks for your responses!
Good luck!

I still don't understand why #2 is a required essay. I'm still having difficulty finding what to write for this because I didn't have any financial hardships or barriers... I'm not sure what other kinds of barriers exist and I can't think of anything!

Good luck!

Thanks for the response. I only asked about the bio courses because a similar post popped up in the thread earlier.

Anyhoo, is UCSF really strict about the psychology requirement? I have already graduated, and will not be taking any courses this year. Has anyone been in a similar situation before, and still made it through admissions? I did take AP Psychology exam and receive a 4 during my high school years if that counts.

I am very concerned because UCSF is one of my top choices. Thanks for your responses again!

Thanks for the response. I only asked about the bio courses because a similar post popped up in the thread earlier.

Anyhoo, is UCSF really strict about the psychology requirement? I have already graduated, and will not be taking any courses this year. Has anyone been in a similar situation before, and still made it through admissions? I did take AP Psychology exam and receive a 4 during my high school years if that counts.

I am very concerned because UCSF is one of my top choices. Thanks for your responses again!
Like I said, if other aspects of your application are impressive (DAT scores, GPA, ECs, etc.) they will most likely interview you, and then if they decide they want you they will tell you to take the class before you start school in 2010.
Last year, I interviewed at UCLA. For some reason they were not sure if they could accept my two psyc classes toward their psyc requirements (At the end, it turned out that they could and they gave me the credit for it). Nevertheless, they told me that even if my classes wouldn't have satisfied their requirements and I still got accepted, they would have given me some time to complete those requirements. In some cases, you can even extend the deadline (requires premission from the dean), before which you can complete the requirements.

Has anyone figured out what to do about there being only 2 spots for the English requirement? I can't abbreviate enough to fit all 3 in these 2 slots!

The basic answer is that there is no way you would start d school at UCSF unless you take psyc. Pre-requisite is a pre-requisite and they require you to take it prior to matriculation.

You could take it at a community college.

Now I'm glad that I took psych in college; it was nothing but a waste of time.

Does UCSF specifically require students to take classes in the English department?

After doing some research on their website, looks like my AP score will take care of the psychology pre-req. I will also call their office tomorrow, and post their response here in case anyone else is in a similar situation :)

Good luck!

freshmen bio was: basically ap bio and ecology
second year bio was: genetics/molecular/biochemistry
and we also had to take a intro to lab class.

So for the bio requirements what classes do i put? This part is confusing.

I had a question about needing to be postmarked 21 days after the date of the email. For instance, my email was sent on July 9th. Would my secondaries have to be postmarked on July 30th at the latest (counting from July 10) or July 29th (counting July 9 as the first day).

I had a question about needing to be postmarked 21 days after the date of the email. For instance, my email was sent on July 9th. Would my secondaries have to be postmarked on July 30th at the latest (counting from July 10) or July 29th (counting July 9 as the first day).
I'm not sure!
But why do you want to wait that long anyways?
You do know that the longer you wait the later the begin reviewing your application, right?

I'm not sure!
But why do you want to wait that long anyways?
You do know that the longer you wait the later the begin reviewing your application, right?

Agree. Mail it ASAP if you have not done already.

How did everyone enter the English composition prereqs? There's only 2 spots for 3 quarters worth....

How did everyone enter the English composition prereqs? There's only 2 spots for 3 quarters worth....

Mine was really weird. I ended up doing it like this: bio 1a/che 1a (except english classes) because the two classes had completely different names.

Don't worry about it. EVERYONE will have some trouble with it. Just make sure yours makes some sense.