UCSF Secondary Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nze82

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just received an e-mail for UCSF's secondary application.
Anyone else got it?

Members don't see this ad.

Not yet. My application was electronically sent the yesterday, and won't be mailed out til next week. What does it say?

It's a rather long secondary application.
It's comprised of two tables:
1-Planned courses you'll be taking during this academic year.
2-Prerequisite courses.
One section is about your personal information.
And the horrible part comes and the end: 6 mini-essays.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a secondary from them as well. Those 6 mini-essays.... ugh. I feel like I'll be reiterating a lot of things I mention in my personal statement in those essays. Do you think that's ok? It might start to sound repetitive but.... don't really have any other choice.

I got a secondary from them as well. Those 6 mini-essays.... ugh. I feel like I'll be reiterating a lot of things I mention in my personal statement in those essays. Do you think that's ok? It might start to sound repetitive but.... don't really have any other choice.
I don't think you can avoid that. Many of the questions they ask are about topics that people are likely to discuss in their personal statements. So, I don't think it matters that much.

True. I'm currently on a short vacation for a few days so... I'll have to just tackle those essays when I get home. What fun. =)

Oh no . . . My AADSAS app was sent out in the first mailing, but no secondary app from UCSF yet! Should I be worried?

Uggh . . . anyone, please? I'm having an emotional breakdown here! I def meet the min requirements (4.0+ GPA, 19 = lowest DAT score). I don't want to call them b/c they really discourage it. Please help out :xf:

ha don't worry, if I have a 3.3ish with a 20 on the DAT and I got a secondary, you will too.

Oh no . . . My AADSAS app was sent out in the first mailing, but no secondary app from UCSF yet! Should I be worried?
NO!! It's still way too early to start worrying about anything.

As long as you have above a 17 in all sections of the DAT and atleast a 2.7 GPA (Sci and nonsci), you will receive a secondary from UCSF. Check their website for the eligibility requirements.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am wondering when I am gonna hear something from schools, my appl mailed out eletronically on july 7th and hard copy today, july 10th. I heared people said that they are getting response from schools and working on secondary, I am a little bit worry about why I hear nothing so far. and btw, how did u guys mail out the processing fee to each school? mine was just regular mailing...hopefully not get lost cuz they r lot of money...thx

the UCSF website says it requires a 17 in AA TS and PAT. not in each section

Does anyone know what we should do if we are taking more than 4 classes this upcoming semester? There are only 4 spaces...

As long as you have above a 17 in all sections of the DAT and atleast a 2.7 GPA (Sci and nonsci), you will receive a secondary from UCSF. Check their website for the eligibility requirements.

And for out of state, it's at least a 3.0 gpa in sci and nonsci.

For the second table on the secondary app, is that for prerequisites that we plan to take, or do we list all prereqs that we have already taken?

Has everyone who's app was sent out the first mailing batch recieved a secondary application invite?

I'm still waiting on mine.

Has everyone who's app was sent out the first mailing batch recieved a secondary application invite?

I'm still waiting on mine.
That would be hard to know.. I was sent out in the first batch and got the email from UCSF on Friday.

For the second table on the secondary app, is that for prerequisites that we plan to take, or do we list all prereqs that we have already taken?
You list all the prerequisites they're asking for, so they'll know you've either taken them in the past or you're planning on taking it to satisfy their requirements, before class begins in 2010.

So I know it's supposed to be all typed except when we sign but what about at the top of every page when it asks for our name, aadsas id #, etc? It's not letting me type in there so I'm assuming we handwrite that? Is that what everyone else is doing?

So I know it's supposed to be all typed except when we sign but what about at the top of every page when it asks for our name, aadsas id #, etc? It's not letting me type in there so I'm assuming we handwrite that? Is that what everyone else is doing?
When you type in you name and your SS#, it will automatically fill in those sections for you.

I'm going to sound really stupid... when I type in my name where? It won't let my type in any of the name parts.

I'm going to sound really stupid... when I type in my name where? It won't let my type in any of the name parts.
What version of adobe reader are you using?
When you open the .pdf file using adobe reader, it will allow you to fill in the form. In that form there's a section where you fill in your name, ss#, mailing address etc. When you complete those sections, the software will automatically use this info to fill in the headers for you.
If you have the old version of adobe reader, it may not let you fill out the form.

I can fill out the form in all the other parts except the name section. I'm using a mac - is that why?

I can fill out the form in all the other parts except the name section. I'm using a mac - is that why?
Dunno...Perhaps! I'm not a mac user so I wouldn't know anything about it.

got secondary email from ucsf on july 13.
mailed 7/7 electronic, 7/10 paper

Uggh . . . still no secondary! My app was sent out in the first mailing, and I definitely meet the req's since I have a 4.0+ and the lowest score on my DAT was a 19. Should I call them?

Is anyone else missing the humanities reqs?
I don't know what to do...the only way for me to get them all is if I take 6 or 7 classes spring semester.
And I wouldn't be able to put those 7 classes in 4 slots anyway.

Some advice would be appreciated.

I don't know what to do...the only way for me to get them all is if I take 6 or 7 classes spring semester.

I have a friend who is going to attend UCSF in the fall and I just sent him a facebook message about this. I'll let you know when I hear back from him.

I think they'll be somewhat lenient on that provided that other aspects of your application are strong. I'm not sure what the humanities reqs are, but I know I've only taken very few humanities classes last year, and they still gave me an interview and waitlisted me.

but seriously, what do we do if we're taking more than four courses in the next semesters?

have any of you guys gotten interview invites yet? just curious based on something i heard from one of the current students...

have any of you guys gotten interview invites yet? just curious based on something i heard from one of the current students...
The earliest you should be expecting any interview invites is late Oct / Early Nov. They don't send out interview invites two weeks after they've sent out the first batch of their secondary application emails!

but seriously, what do we do if we're taking more than four courses in the next semesters?

if you're taking two similar courses, ie. bio 300, bio 400, you can put them both in the same line.

for example, i'm taking physics and two physics lab one semester and i put phs 106/7/8 | Intro Physics/Lab1 and Lab2 | 4.5/1.5/1.5 or something to that effect.

If not, I'd just put in the most important ones, such as the ones that satisfy requirements. I didn't end up putting in all my classes. But, with that being said, I dont really know for sure. Thats just my guess. I sent in the secondary already and I'm not too worried about it as long as they know I'm planning on finishing the requirements.

I have a question regarding the prereq section. At my school, we had ochem labs separate from the ochem lecture. So how do I put that in when there's only 3 spots...?

I have a question regarding the prereq section. At my school, we had ochem labs separate from the ochem lecture. So how do I put that in when there's only 3 spots...?
Example:
CHEM 12B/12BL.....A/A-

is everyone using the optional section? i can't think of anything else to say

Just got an email that UCSF received my secondary and that application is complete. It "entered our review process".

is everyone using the optional section? i can't think of anything else to say

If you cant think of something meaningful, I think its better to leave it blank rather than making up some bs.

Also got the e-mail saying UCSF received my secondary app. Sent July 13th as well.

what do they mean by "educational barriers"? I can't really think of any...

Thanks.

what do they mean by "educational barriers"? I can't really think of any...

Thanks.
They mean anything that interfered with your education (Common example: Financial difficulties).
If you can't think of one, then you probably didn't experience any, which means you leave that section blank!

Anyone on the semester system? For the projected courses, are you just writing the same courses for Fall 2009 and Spring 2010?

i'm on the semester system and i just put whatever classes i could fit into the fall 2009/winter 2010 slots.