UCSF supplemental app essay help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smilinh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need help!
I already finished my Pharmcas essay and now I'm working on my UCSF supplemental app essay. How is it different from the pharmcas essay? I know pharmcas is more like "why pharmacy" and ucsf is more to get to know you as a person.

My pharmcas essay does explain "why pharmacy" but also, it explains the important events that have happened in my life that lead me to choose pharmacy. For ucsf, they recommend choosing an event, and I feel as if I do choose an event, it would be something that I have already mentioned in my pharmcas essay. So, I would feel a little redundant. Any advice?

Or, can some previous or current ucsf applicants tell me some topics you guys chose to write about for your ucsf essay?

Also, since ucsf's essay is supposed be something to help them get to know you, does it ultimately have to lead to pharmacy? Or can I write an essay basically about the events in my life that have shaped my character and not mention pharmacy?

Hope this all made sense.

Members don't see this ad.

"Or can I write an essay basically about the events in my life that have shaped my character and not mention pharmacy?"

yes, anything is fine as long as you show them who you are. it doesn't need to be related to pharmacy. they get that from your pharmcas essay already.
good luck.

I wrote about my senior year of college, when my ecology professor suddenly dies, and I wrote something and had to read it at his funeral. Just talked about how that experience shaped me, what I learned about art and its function, and about what a mentor or teacher truly means to a student.

I definitely think it should be a personal moment, maybe unrelated to school, something you learned from in regards to life.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wrote about a personal experience that was not related to pharmacy at all. I did tie it in briefly at the end where I said that some of what I had gone through had helped me recognize that I wanted a career in which I could serve others and that pharmacy was a good fit for that. I think that they just want to get to know you as a person and to see how you handle major events/changes in your life. Good luck :)

i wrote my ucsf ps on something completely not related to pharmacy - and then tied it in towards the end on how this life lesson taught me skills and shaped me in a way that has prepared me for anything... including pharmacy school and my career after. good luck! :)

Hmm, I guess I am the only one who didn't mention pharmacy at all! haha

I wrote about my strengths and provided examples. I don't think I mentioned pharmacy at any point. You could write about pretty much anything. :)

I wrote about organic chemistry and how it changed my life perspective!

Thank you all for the help. I started writing a little bit, but I think I will periodically come back to it. I'm glad that it doesn't matter if we send it in early, as long as we meet the deadline. I hope that when I go to Hong Kong to study there for the fall, I will come across more inspiration for the essay. Thanks all for your replies and help. :)

Here is what they put in the application. It seems like it's an essay to get to know you more.

B6. UCSF Candidate's Statement
Because the ability to write effectively will be important to you in pharmacy school and beyond, we ask that you write a second essay in addition to the Personal Statement in the PharmCAS application.

This UCSF Candidate's Statement should reflect who you are and what is meaningful to you. It should provide us with insight about your character and how you came to be the person you are today. You might write about a significant experience or achievement that has special meaning to you and/or has had a significant influence on you.

The theme of this essay is different from that of your Personal Statement in your PharmCAS application, so your essays should not be about the same subject.

Like all writing segments of the application, this essay is also an opportunity to demonstrate a complex level of thought and critical thinking skills consistent with a professional, graduate-level degree program. Your discussion points should be presented in a logically cohesive manner and supported by relevant examples.