UCSF tuition 350k for the 4 years?!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

personalstatementsbyeric

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I used to think this was a strong program, but glad I was rejected. 350k is rediculous! Do people actually pay that much??

Members don't see this ad.

Apparently entire classes of students pay that much year after year.

Reactions: 3 users
You think 350k is ridiculous? There are schools out there that are 200k more.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
350k disqualifies it from being a strong program?

Reactions: 1 users
Is 350k just tuition, or cost of attendance? If COA is 350k yeah then it's pretty cheap, but if it's just tuition then COA should be 450k (before interest) due to San Fran.

Its around 350k total with cost of living. Also, I believe you can qualify for in state tuition. If you compare this to schools like Penn/Columbia, UCSF is cheaper. In terms of quality of the program, I believe UCSF is at least on par, if not a tier above Penn/Columbia. UCSF also has one of the strongest if not the strongest programs in dental research. During interview day, students were told that UCSF sends the most students to research conferences out of any dental school and more UCSF grads go on to become deans for dental schools than any other school as well. 350k is different for a lot of people in terms of what you look for in a dental school but it's hard to ignore the quality of the program.

It is 350k after you switch to IS tuition @florida561.

Anyways, you can always cut expenses by living cheap. I'm sure you can drop it 10-20k. And 350k isn't so bad when you have schools that are 200k more.

I think most privates now are 400k+.

Reactions: 2 users
Its around 350k total with cost of living. Also, I believe you can qualify for in state tuition. If you compare this to schools like Penn/Columbia, UCSF is cheaper. In terms of quality of the program, I believe UCSF is at least on par, if not a tier above Penn/Columbia. UCSF also has one of the strongest if not the strongest programs in dental research. During interview day, students were told that UCSF sends the most students to research conferences out of any dental school and more UCSF grads go on to become deans for dental schools than any other school as well. 350k is different for a lot of people in terms of what you look for in a dental school but it's hard to ignore the quality of the program.
I would not put it above UPENN or Columbia personally.

I used to think this was a strong program, but glad I was rejected. 350k is rediculous! Do people actually pay that much??

I will be graduating with $160,000 total of dental school debt from UCSF. As a California resident going to an in-state school, that's probably the cheapest you can go to dental school for. UCSF offers generous financial aid and grants to its students, but not until a month before school starts. Student housing and fraternity housing offer affordable living options ($600-$1000/month). And you can always apply for a HPSP or NHSC scholarship.
Just this year, an anonymous donor gave millions of dollars to the school to give out to students to offset the increase in housing in San Francisco. Myself and many of my friends received a $2400 grant this year, thought to offset rent increasing up to $200 a month for the year.

I'm sorry you were rejected - the reason UCSF costs so much is not the tuition but the cost of living in the Bay Area. Regardless of that it is still a strong program.
Also, I think you mean ridiculous.

Reactions: 1 user
But it's not an ivy. I get it's a great school but ivies specialize 45-50% of their class. UCSF only about 20-30%
Again with the ivy....

Dude. A high specialization rate is NOT an indicator of a good DENTAL school. A good dental school teaches someone to be a good dentist. Having mechanisms that focus more on preparing students for Postgraduate admissions than on dentistry is literally the exact opposite of a good dental school.
Also, how do you justify saying you used to think UCSF was a strong program until you saw the price tag? Cost and program strength do not correlate. Also, 20%-30% specialization rate is pretty high. 1 in every 3-4 students specialize? From a public school? How is that not strong?

For those who are at Columbia, Penn, or Harvard and you are reading this, I mean no offense. Chances are you will specialize. Your competency in your specialty will be indicative of your PG training, not your predoctoral education IMO. Your success in earning a spot at one of these schools is impressive, no doubt. I am in no way trying to minimize that achievement. I just think OP's scale of program strength is very misguided.

I would not put it above UPENN or Columbia personally.
Why not? Again, specialization rate does not indicate strength of its dental program.