UCSF USC clinical

Started by tnguy117
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tnguy117

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi there,
Can someone tell me what resources/books UCSF and/or USC students use for clinical pharmacy information?

Thank you much!!!
 
Hi there,
Can someone tell me what resources/books UCSF and/or USC students use for clinical pharmacy information?

RE: UCSF
The question would be more like what don't we use... are you talking about classes, or during rotations?
- The Koda-Kimble book is the staple during therapeutics (like it or not,) but many of us got by without opening the book for even an instant. It is case based and none too practical for people who are looking to LEARN the disease state, imho.
- DiPiro handbook was useful for me, though it is missing quite a few disease states, it gives a good overview of the states and the treatment. Of course, our notes didn't correlate 100% with the DiPiro since the DiPiro isn't'recommended by UCSF, but whatever. They like Koda Kimble. Whooptie surprise doo.
- During rotations you have access to almost everything, pubmed, updtodate, medline, etc.
- Many use the lexi-comp on the handhelds since it's more convenient than carrying around the books themselves.
- If you are doing specific services (pain, pediatrics,) there are specific references that will be useful to you, depending on the field you are in. (renal transplant, liver, etc.)

Not sure if this answered your question, but I don't know that I fully understood your question, either.
 
At USC, although there are "recommended" readings but we mainly use the professors' lecture notes. We also use references to look up information.
 
Hi,
Thank you for your replies.

I was inquiring in general to learn from. I am done with pharmacy school, and trying to pass my Naplex now. My career path has led me to start working for Walgreens, and having a hard time applying what I have learned so I am looking to learn and retain practical clinical knowledge.