UCSF vs. Cornell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
L

Lelelele1992

Hi!

I have until Thursday to decide between UCSF and Cornell, money and location aside, are there any compelling reasons that would lead you to definitively pick one over the other?

Thanks so much for your thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
UCSF
  1. Better reputation, which will matter if you want to do academic medicine
  2. SF is awesome, you seem to agree and have family nearby
  3. It's cheaper
Congrats on some sweet options!

Reactions: 1 user
UCSF. Will be a cool/new experience, quality of institution is unarguably better, unparalleled clinical experience.

Money/location (SF) are just sweet icing on that yummy cake

Reactions: 2 users
What does your partner think about the two schools/cities? I think them having their family nearby can be great since one person in medical school can be trying for you both (although if you've worked long hours at a job previously, I'd imagine it's completely bearable)

UCSF does not have an undergraduate campus since it is exclusively a graduate health professional school. Our class (c/o 2020) has a good amount of older, non-traditional students although only a few that are married/have kids. Would be happy to answer any questions you have by PM!

I vote UCSF! San Fran is a legit city so I think you would enjoy it coming from NYC. Plus UCSF is definitely the better school and you said cost is cheaper. Only reason to pick Cornell IMO is if you and your SO really don't want to leave NYC. In that case, Cornell is an amazing school. But I'd pick UCSF.