UCSF vs. Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lori93

Reaction score
I was accepted to UCSF during the regular cycle and got off the waitlist at Hopkins--so I feel like I have a little less info for there since I wasn't at the second look. Cost is still TBD because I'm waiting on my Hopkins estimate but I expect it to come out close unless the aid is super different--Hopkins tuition is far more but UCSF's cost of living is rough and I'm out of state (for the first year, after that can get residency).

UCSF
++sister in the area
+++serious S.O. on the west coast (not primarily based in SF, but a 4th year med student and would prob prefer to do residency on west coast esp if he moves east for my own residency in a few years)
++love the outdoors opportunities in the area
++already had accepted this offer so hopkins would be a significant change in course, inconvenience for SO
++had an amazing time at second look, met lots of great people who I could see being friends with
++San Francisco seems awesome/no experience with it so it'd be an adventure
--far from where I grew up, maybe weird setting down roots here if I eventually go back east
--global health stuff seems more create-your-own, seems like getting plugged in is possible but takes more effort than it would next door to Bloomberg public health

Hopkins
++went to college on east coast/lived in DC area, so lots of friends/support close by
++grew up in Virginia, so more family close by, easier to get home for anything
+++super super interested in public/global health, so lots of opportunities, funding, international stuff
++easy to get a 5-year md/mph all in the same place
++closer to policy stuff in DC (did health policy research for 2 years after graduation)
--Baltimore seems nice enough but definitely less of an exciting adventure than SF would be
--would have to upend plans for UCSF and find housing/rearrange my brain to go somewhere diff
--had somewhat worse interactions on my interview day which is why I'm more concerned having missed out on second look; the people seemed nice but more focused on achieving vs wellness/fun compared to UCSF students, most of whom I really enjoyed.
--got a somewhat more hierarchical vibe compared to SF as far as the hospital goes--potentially a more difficult time finding mentors who have time/respect to spare for a med student?
-students did mention the lack of step prep--tend to lecture on cutting edge stuff profs are doing and leave you more on your own to learn the material. could be cool but also frustrating?

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like UCSF has a lot more that fits you. How important is the MD/MPH to you? Being able to take classes at Bloomberg is sick obv, but it looks like UCSF and Berkeley do a combined MD/MPH, and their public health department is great. If you don't do that, and stick with UCSF's global health dept, building your own curriculum of sorts may be nice.

Reactions: 1 user
I would personally stick with UCSF as it sounds you would be happier there. If you ever feel like getting an MPH, it's very common for med students to take a year or two off to pursue one, often at the top programs across the country. UCSF has its own global health institute that is rather new but that offers a 1 year MPH equivalent (MS in Global Health) at the mission bay campus, a lot of med students from UCSF/Stanford took a year off to do it when I was there a couple years ago. They especially have a lot of work with preterm birth and malaria in assorted countries in Africa.

Reactions: 1 user
If the outdoors are a big part of your life, go with UCSF. There are plenty of stunning city hikes, not to mention the East Bay hills, Pt. Reyes, Big Sur, Sierras etc etc. It is one of the best regions for an outdoor enthusiast.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would really strongly consider Hopkins. Both schools are amazing but it's literally the best medical school in the world. You will have 0 issues getting to the west coast. And the opportunity to do policy work is significantly better by being close to DC.

Also sorry if this is inappropriate but do you mind if I PM some advice on how you built your app (you literally got into hopkins). Trying to help a younger friend.