UCSF vs Michigan vs Mt. Sinai

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2indecisive

Reaction score
Hello! I'm beyond grateful to have gotten acceptances to these three schools but I'm having a really hard time deciding between them. I was banking on Second Looks being helpful for making a choice... but seeing as that's no longer an option due to covid-19 I thought I'd see if others had any helpful opinions!

If any of this is helpful to know:
Specialties I'm currently interested in = psychiatry, OB/GYN, neurology
Other interests = global health, research, potentially want to pursue an MPH
Grew up in = a mix of suburban and urban areas (I prefer urban) on mostly the East Coast but went to undergrad in Bay Area and currently live in SF. I moved around a lot as a kid and I like the feeling of picking up and going somewhere new every few years.
Cost of attendance/living is not a deciding factor as with scholarships/family help they all average to be about the same.

UCSF
Pros:
- Highly ranked program
- Urban location
- Went to undergrad in the Bay Area (and currently live here) and have a lot of friends that stayed in the area so some sense of support
- Diverse patient population (important to me!)
- Live in SF currently and like it here
- Lot's of research opportunities
- Would be able to stay living in apartment/houses rather than going back to a dorm
- All pre-clinical and clinical are true P/F
- Loved the student/faculty member I interviewed with and if they were representative of the overall UCSF population then I could definitely see myself finding community
- Bridges curriculum seemed great but hard to tell without being in it/experiencing other types of curriculums (I like it's <2 years pre-clinical though)

Cons:
- Have been living in this area for 5 years now and feel ready for a change
- Was viewing medical school as a "fresh start" and a place to make new friends and explore a new environment, which staying in SF wouldn't provide as much as going somewhere new would.
- Did research at UCSF as an undergraduate and had a bad mentorship experience, I don't know if it was just me or if researchers at UCSF just aren't that interested in working with students (or if it would be different as a med student vs undergrad)
- It seems like there aren't as many student groups of interest as the other schools
- As far as I can tell exams aren't given online in that weekend window like at the other two schools but rather in class on Mondays

Mt. Sinai
Pros:
- I love NYC
- My father lives in NYC so support from him would be really close by
- Stronger sense of Jewish community (important to me but I don't think it should make or break my decision)
- Strong global health program (I think? But also has had a lot of scandal surrounding it recently so I don't know)
- I love the ability to take your tests online on the weekends. That really works with my learning style.
- Tons of students groups I'm interested in

Cons:
- I have a cat and likely wouldn't be able to live in Aron Hall -- I'm worried I would feel disconnected from the rest of my class
- Not as highly ranked as Michigan and UCSF
- 2 years of pre-clinicals
- NYC winters are not my favorite

Michigan
Pros:
- Amazing curriculum, I love that you get your pre-clinicals done with in a year and have a third year to pursue a dual degree/do research/etc.
- I loved my interview day and was happiest afterward compared to all other interviews
- Thought Ann Arbor was cute and enough of a college town that I could (hopefully) live there for 4 years without going crazy and missing city life
- Same as Mt. Sinai, I love the ability to take your tests online on the weekends.
- Lectures mostly non-mandatory/online which also works with my learning style

Cons:
- Not urban
- Less diverse patient population
- No support system nearby
- Again about the winters
- Would definitely need a car and driving is not my favorite activity

If there are other things you think I'm forgetting to consider I would love to hear it! I appreciate any/all help I can get at this point as I'm feeling pretty stuck.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
UCSF for sure! Don't undervalue the importance of your support system and UCSF is an incredible place for your interests in OBGYN. I think your bad mentorship experience can't and shouldn't be extrapolated to other investigators.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
All signs point to UCSF! And you have significantly more pros too. Congrats!

Reactions: 1 users