UCSF vs Stanford

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DelAGator

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I love the SF Bay area alot. but I know the 2 schools there are ultra competitive. of the 2 which is the most comptetive as far as admissions. which will open the doors more if you want to work in radiology/radiation oncology? which will open the doors more to prestigious residencies?

Members don't see this ad.

DelAGator said:
I love the SF Bay area alot. but I know the 2 schools there are ultra competitive. of the 2 which is the most comptetive as far as admissions. which will open the doors more if you want to work in radiology/radiation oncology? which will open the doors more to prestigious residencies?

I think people feel that UCSF is more competetive, not sure about the residency question though

If you aren't from CA good luck getting into UCSF. I think UCSF is more competetive for research and top residencies.

Members don't see this ad :)
I may not be remembering correctly, but isn't stanford med rated higher than UCSF in the US News and World Report?

rjgennarelli said:
I may not be remembering correctly, but isn't stanford med rated higher than UCSF in the US News and World Report?

No, UCSF is ranked higher (in the research rankings).

UCLAstudent said:
No, UCSF is ranked higher (in the research rankings).

You're right. Stanford is ranked 9th and UCSF is ranked 6th. Still pretty close though :)

DelAGator said:

I think that UCSF is known as having one of the best radiology programs in the country. As for difficulty, if you don't live in CA, UCSF is going to be extremely difficult to get into because it favors CA residents (although its still difficult from there too).