Uermmmc 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
oops! just got to see your previous post which was already quite extensive. thanks for the tips! :)
Hi adahhse0811!

Care to share your own words of advice for incoming freshies? Your insights as someone studying under the current traditional + PBL system would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Since the curriculum is a combination, the Traditional part comes in the way that the 3 major subjects (Anatomy, Physiology and Biochemistry) go hand in hand discussing 1 or 2 body system/s before each long exam. So if Digestive System is discussed in Anatomy, Biochemistry discusses Liver Metabolism or something like that. There are 6 long exams, 3 in each semester, and by march is the finals which covers everything from 1st-6th long exam.

The PBL type comes in the Integrated Case Studies (ICS), wherein your group of about 8-10 students, meets up twice (2 Wednesdays or 2 Fridays) before every long test facilitated by a teacher/professor. The group is presented with a Case on that first meeting, make yourselves clear with the terms and how you'll go with the discussion for the next meeting; at the 2nd meeting is the presentation, incorporating processes, learning issues, answering questions you had on the 1st meeting, everything you need to know that incorporates especially the 3 major subjects.

hi rvin1209!

your welcome, but i forgot to mention how to study for the PBL part. Last year we had 2 ICS per semester. The case topics follow the lectures in the traditional system, which is by module as mentioned by specie. Take for example, while we were learning about the musculoskeletal system in class, the ICS was about the Musculoskeletal system. So during our first meeting, we were presented a case wherein the patient sustained injuries that were musculoskeletal-related. As a group, you guys create possible questions and learning competencies related to the case, that will be discussed for the 2nd meeting (usually 2 to 3 weeks after the 1st meeting).

Your group could come up with 20-25 learning issues to be discussed and usually better if it covers the 3 major areas - anatomy, physiology, & biochemistry - in general it'd include what structures, how a certain mechanism works either physiologically or biochemically. In that way, when prepping for the 2nd ICS meeting, you'd be able to review, study, and even learn in advance about the whole module being discussed.

It's actually fun and you'll learn alot more during the 2nd session, since it's like Dr. House's diagnostic differentials, where you discuss and butt-in your opinions about the case, just kidding. First years are not expected to diagnose the patient and suggest possible treatment since the whole point of the ICS at this stage is for you to learn how to integrate what you've learned from class and applying it to a case. You'd be surprised at some information your groupmates could bring up during the discussion, as each of you should research the answers on your own and study it well before the discussion.

Dont bring your books with you during the discussion, just bring the notes you've made done prepping for the meeting. Some use yellow pads, others use index cards, others even dont bring anything. The purpose of the notes is just to refresh your memory a little bit by glancing at them from time to time, not to just read out loud coz your teachers wouldnt like that. They grade each student by their performance in the discussion, so make the most of it by contributing to the discussion. Being silent coz you weren't called wouldnt give you a decent grade...on the other hand, even if you're prepared to discuss everything yourself, dont do so coz it's better if you give your groupmates a chance to answer.

ICS makes 10% of your over-all grade in each subject, so dont take it for granted. It will definetly pull up your grades if you do well, plus the fact it's like prepping for the exam as well, so take is a good review for you, thus better chances for better grades. hope would help :)

Thanks for this tip! I guess the PBL part would make more sense now since it's being used as a way to integrate the subjects and not as a means of teaching the subjects per se.

Just a few more days before we begin class!! I hope everyone is doing well! See you all on the 10th!!

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone has the phone numbers for Food Delivery, please post them here. SALAMAT =)

Just to let u all know, there are roughly 230 students enrolled in UERM for medicine. I know because Ms. Imelda Reyes showed me a sheet with all the current stats. The number might increase by Tuesday.

Just to let u all know, there are roughly 230 students enrolled in UERM for medicine. I know because Ms. Imelda Reyes showed me a sheet with all the current stats. The number might increase by Tuesday.
whoa!!! ang daming freshmen!!! :)

whoa!!! ang daming freshmen!!! :)

the FACT that U.E. 'caters' more to its students than some of the other OLDER institutions.

Its a FACT of Life that U.E.'s program is EASIER than some of the other schools...

the FACT that U.E. 'caters' more to its students than some of the other OLDER institutions.

Its a FACT of Life that U.E.'s program is EASIER than some of the other schools...

Not really true i think...
I heard alot failed last yr among the 1st yrs...
Oops! I'm not discouraging 1st yrs here... hehe!
Study hard na lang! Maybe people's notion that UERM is easy made the students a bit lax in their studies last yr.

I think the reason for the number of enrollees is because UERM switched to trad instead of PBL.. i guess... don't really know their reasons....

UST still has a greater number of students among all other medical schools. their average is 400/year i think from what I've heard...

Does anyone think its possible for me to state some facts without people trying to bash each other's schools? We're all in this together. We don't need to bring each other down like that because there are not enough doctors in the world. Maybe being a condescending and patronizing person may have gotten u far in life, but I doubt many patience care which school you went to(especially if they are on the verge of dying). But what do I know. I'm just a UERM student. I may as well be subhuman =P

Does anyone think its possible for me to state some facts without people trying to bash each other's schools? We're all in this together. We don't need to bring each other down like that because there are not enough doctors in the world. Maybe being a condescending and patronizing person may have gotten u far in life, but I doubt many patience care which school you went to(especially if they are on the verge of dying). But what do I know. I'm just a UERM student. I may as well be subhuman =P

i agree. unfair comments about uerm have no place in this thread. after all, this thread was started for incoming freshmen to get to know one another and their new school. if anyone wishes to express negative comments about uerm in order to somehow highlight that their school is 'better' if not the 'best', then you are posting on the wrong thread. please take your negativity elsewhere.

sa pagkakaalam ko, ang med student, or doktor, dapat mature mag isip. hindi dapat ganito na puro pangyuyurak sa ibang eskwelahan lang ang inaatupag. at sa pagkakaalam ko din, kaya tayo nag aaral ng medisina, eh para makatulong sa ibang tao, hindi tumapak sa katauhan ng ibang tao.

sa pagkakaalam ko, ang med student, or doktor, dapat mature mag isip. hindi dapat ganito na puro pangyuyurak sa ibang eskwelahan lang ang inaatupag. at sa pagkakaalam ko din, kaya tayo nag aaral ng medisina, eh para makatulong sa ibang tao, hindi tumapak sa katauhan ng ibang tao.

i agree.

Last edited:
so how was your first day guys? ready to face the challenges in med year1?

I think you can buy those USMLE books at Kaplan Review Center. :)

I think there's still one room available at Tang's International. Address is 20J Zragosa St. Araneta Subd., Nice place to stay with Wi-fi.

HTH! :D

Hey! how's everyone doing so far? Still looking forward to meeting you all!

Do your best!

- Johnny