UF (IS) vs NCSU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eagerbeaver91

Reaction score
I was accepted into both UF (my IS) and NCSU. I know most people say to go to one's cheaper option, but since NCSU allows students to switch residency, tuition cost ends up nearly the same. NCSU's tuition actually ends up slightly cheaper than UF (about ~$8,000 total across 4 years), but due to moving costs and travel costs, this difference is pretty negligible.
I am married, and my mom lives with my husband and I; we also have 5 dogs. The plan is to buy a house wherever I end up going. It seems that cost of living is slightly higher in North Carolina.
My husband works remotely as an aerospace engineer; he has no plans to leave his job, but if he did, the job market in Raleigh is better than in Gainesville.
However, I'm 30 and we do plan on trying to have a baby while I'm in veterinary school. My in-laws and my dad live in South Florida. If we have a baby, it would be their first grand-child, so I imagine they'll be visiting often. Obviously, it would be easier/cheaper for them to travel to Gainesville than NC.
NCSU is a high ranked school than UF, but I'm not sure how much that really matters? UF still has a great program, and I like the fact that clinicals start the summer after 2nd year, whereas clinicals don't start until 4th year at NCSU. UF also has free certification programs; I'm definitely interested in their business management certificate... but NCSU has a significantly smaller class size.
One major caveat is that NCSU requires Animal Nutrition...which I haven't completed (or started) yet. Oklahoma State has a self-paced online course, which I feel fairly confident about completing prior to NCSU's deadline (transcript needs to be send by June 1). Should I just enroll in UF to avoid any hiccups with this and because the move/ home buying process would be easier? I would love to hear anyone's insight and opinions about the two schools. I was completely ready to commit to UF but was completely shocked to see I was accepted to NCSU (I was rejected by the 4 other schools I applied to).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
A few things :)
-Congrats on your acceptances!
-Ranking doesn't matter!!
-It sounds like UF has a lot of personal pros for you based on location. I'd imagine that having family close would be a HUGE plus if you plan to have a baby, as they can help you out a lot! For UF you also wouldn't have to take another class which is nice. I think the differences you mention between the programs won't end up mattering too significantly.

Good luck <3

Reactions: 1 user