You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
UFCVM c/o 2026 Applicants
Started by polemical
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I’m not personally knowledgeable on that one, I have a friend doing it though and she said she doesn’t think it’s very competitive, and provided this link: Business Management » Veterinary Education » College of Veterinary Medicine » University of FloridaHi! on that same note— is it the same for the practice management business certificate ? is that also competitive to get into?
Did anyone just get the email that decisions will be released on Monday March 14th because my heart just dropped ?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
eagerbeaver91
Full Member
YUP.Did anyone just get the email that decisions will be released on Monday March 14th because my heart just dropped ?
That email gave me a heart attack…
Lauren.T029
Full Member
My heart landed in my stomach when I read “Decision Letter”… too bad I have been telling everyone that the decision is tomorrow *face palm*Did anyone just get the email that decisions will be released on Monday March 14th because my heart just dropped ?
Ugh, idk if I can wait any longer 😅😂😭
Most of the certificates are obtainable if you really want them, you just have to make sure to keep up your grades to have the GPA requirement.Hi! on that same note— is it the same for the practice management business certificate ? is that also competitive to get into?
Just got confirmation it's 150 seats ( from an official source that shall not be named)
Certificates » Veterinary Education » College of Veterinary Medicine » University of Florida
Not all require you to have a 3.0, good academic standing in vet school is anything above 1.99 ( 2.00 or above for the semester and cumulative). Food animal has a research requirement though but if you did food animal research for grad school they will count it.
Not all require you to have a 3.0, good academic standing in vet school is anything above 1.99 ( 2.00 or above for the semester and cumulative). Food animal has a research requirement though but if you did food animal research for grad school they will count it.
Cheezyboi
Full Member
That’s a lot bigger than the other vet schools I applied to. Does it ever feel too big, like you might not get as much hands on experience as you would somewhere with a smaller class size?Just got confirmation it's 150 seats ( from an official source that shall not be named)
It does I mean I just met 2 people today who are in my class I never met because they split us down the middle at L for last names. The lecture halls aren't built to hold 150. Hopefully covid calms down even more and you all can feel safe doing more social events. I know 2025 has done some great ones and clubs help you meet folks. After clinics in spring of 3rd you'll take classes targeted at your track so you'll meet even more people. We get a lot of hands on through wet labs though.That’s a lot bigger than the other vet schools I applied to. Does it ever feel too big, like you might not get as much hands on experience as you would somewhere with a smaller class size?
Joice and Kate in clinical skills try and really help each student and get to know them too so if you come in with less tech clinical skills they help. Heck I had an issue yesterday and I went to them for advice and they helped me out almost no questions asked ( besides what I needed advice on etc) . Dr. Stone and wuerz are great as well you'll meet all of them if you get in. Dr. Stone really helped giving us a wellness talk on grades vs life and the importance of having one or two things outside of vet school you do.
We only had issues in anatomy due to covid ( we went in as 2 person groups sometimes only once a week sometimes 2 to dissect...we had to go after to catch up and that space was limited) but they are I heard talking about splitting the class down the middle for anatomy forever so I everyone can get the hands on time they need.
On the certificates:
Only aquatic animal health requires the 3.0 the rest require you to stay 2.0 and above
Last edited:
Yeah due to COVID they have split many of our in person labs into Group A and Group B (usually by last name, but for spring semester and large animal anatomy, we got to switch things around and choose which group we wanted to be in). You mainly get to know the people who are in your respective group well, but you don't see too much of the other half of the class unless they attend lecture every day. That's why I highly recommend participating in clubs to get to know other students, go to class socials, participate in the class Facebook and groupchat, etc. As for hands on experience, I wouldn't say it's necessarily lacking, but due to the splint in the class groups, we do complete every other lab in anatomy, so you have to go in on your own time to figure out what the other group did to your specimen. I don't know if this is going to continue next year as well, but this was at least how it has been for the last 2 classes due to COVID. But as @Old-Country-Vet-Tech said, the clinical skills staff is absolutely amazing and will help you out with all the hands on clinical skills that you will be learning your first two years as much as you need.It does I mean I just met 2 people today who are in my class I never met because they split us down the middle at L for last names. The lecture halls aren't built to hold 150. Hopefully covid calms down even more and you all can feel safe doing more social events. I know 2025 has done some great ones and clubs help you meet folks. After clinics in spring of 3rd you'll take classes targeted at your track so you'll meet even more people. We get a lot of hands on through wet labs though.
Joice and Kate in clinical skills try and really help each student and get to know them too so if you come in with less tech clinical skills they help. Heck I had an issue yesterday and I went to them for advice and they helped me out almost no questions asked ( besides what I needed advice on etc) . Dr. Stone and wuerz are great as well you'll meet all of them if you get in. Dr. Stone really helped giving us a wellness talk on grades vs life and the importance of having one or two things outside of vet school you do.
We only had issues in anatomy due to covid ( we went in as 2 person groups sometimes only once a week sometimes 2 to dissect...we had to go after to catch up and that space was limited) but they are I heard talking about splitting the class down the middle for anatomy forever so I everyone can get the hands on time they need.
On the certificates:
Only aquatic animal health requires the 3.0 the rest require you to stay 2.0 and above
I know for sure with the larger class size the biggest problem is going to be finding parking, because we already have fairly limited parking options around the vet school, and I do not think parking options will be expanded before the start of the fall semester from what I have been hearing from the professors. Highly recommend investing in a good bike, figuring out the buses in Gainesville, or creating a carpool group with classmates (which if you do get in and accept your offer, I have created a means for you to do that and it will be posted to your class facebook page within the housing guide!) instead of relying on parking at the VAB every day if possible, because if you do not get parking at the VAB, it can be a pretty far walk, and if you are in a hurry, it's very much not ideal.
I know anatomy was talking about it keeping it split and they are making the area bigger ( but not the surgery lab 🙁 ). For us it was a bit more difficult because we were out more and weren't told that watching the camera on our crew wasn't mandatory during lab. I've heard good things about the split lab though when it's A and B vs Green/blue/orange/etc.Yeah due to COVID they have split many of our in person labs into Group A and Group B (usually by last name, but for spring semester and large animal anatomy, we got to switch things around and choose which group we wanted to be in). You mainly get to know the people who are in your respective group well, but you don't see too much of the other half of the class unless they attend lecture every day. That's why I highly recommend participating in clubs to get to know other students, go to class socials, participate in the class Facebook and groupchat, etc. As for hands on experience, I wouldn't say it's necessarily lacking, but due to the splint in the class groups, we do complete every other lab in anatomy, so you have to go in on your own time to figure out what the other group did to your specimen. I don't know if this is going to continue next year as well, but this was at least how it has been for the last 2 classes due to COVID. But as @Old-Country-Vet-Tech said, the clinical skills staff is absolutely amazing and will help you out with all the hands on clinical skills that you will be learning your first two years as much as you need.
I know for sure with the larger class size the biggest problem is going to be finding parking, because we already have fairly limited parking options around the vet school, and I do not think parking options will be expanded before the start of the fall semester from what I have been hearing from the professors. Highly recommend investing in a good bike, figuring out the buses in Gainesville, or creating a carpool group with classmates (which if you do get in and accept your offer, I have created a means for you to do that and it will be posted to your class facebook page within the housing guide!) instead of relying on parking at the VAB every day if possible, because if you do not get parking at the VAB, it can be a pretty far walk, and if you are in a hurry, it's very much not ideal.
Really I manage parking and driving by either biking if close or watching class online . Look at bus routes when you look at apartments. Mine is close but I have to watch the weather if it's not a day that's a test day. You can get anywhere on campus once at the school through the buses. I've been trying to bike more when I don't have to take electronics etc that may get wet. I did it a lot in grad school to the animal sciences next door.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Y’all 2 more sleeps till you know for bad or worse
Can any current student that was accepted OOS give me any information on getting insurance when there? My insurance in my home state would not cover if I ended up moving to Florida. Is it offered through the school?
Thanks😅 this week has been so tough and I’ve never wanted a weekend to go by so fast … lol good luck everybody !! I hope everyone here gets in!Y’all 2 more sleeps till you know for bad or worse
Hoping for good, preparing for worseY’all 2 more sleeps till you know for bad or worse
Same 😅Hoping for good, preparing for worse
So I am an out of state student and for the first semester I went with the student health insurance option through UF. It was super easy to manage and any fees were just applied to your tuition. I think it costs around $1000 a semester if I am not mistaken. Everything is totally digital, even your insurance card, and it was easy to use for doctor's appointments and prescription coverage. Now I am back with my parents' insurance since they got a new one as of the first of this year and it has really nice coverage here in Gainesville, but the student insurance option is a really good choice if you don't have insurance that would currently cover you in Florida, or would have very poor coverage here in Gainesville.Can any current student that was accepted OOS give me any information on getting insurance when there? My insurance in my home state would not cover if I ended up moving to Florida. Is it offered through the school?
In the email they sent us it said it would be end of the business day.What time do you guys think we’ll hear today? It’s only 8am here and I’m freaking out 😂
Okay that’s what I thought but I was hoping they meant more by the end of business day rather than at the end 😂In the email they sent us it said it would be end of the business day.
I could barely sleep last night 😥
eagerbeaver91
Full Member
Same!I could barely sleep last night 😥
Lauren.T029
Full Member
I think this was talked about before in this thread but do they send letters only through email? Or do they call as well.. my heart can’t take it today lol
Ours got send a little after noon.
Only email but if you don't get ANYTHING check your spam and if not call them immediately the system didn't send my email and Lynette had to.
Only email but if you don't get ANYTHING check your spam and if not call them immediately the system didn't send my email and Lynette had to.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
eagerbeaver91
Full Member
This wait is killing me. 😢
I'm already a student and just watching y'all suffer makes me sad 🙁This wait is killing me. 😢
Summerthom
Full Member
It's brutal. I'm trying to study for finals but I must be checking my email every two minutes.
Look if I wasn't a few counties away on break I would.Any current students wanna sneak into the office and click send? : )
They REALLY meant end of business day I guess, huh? 😂
Summerthom
Full Member
I've decided I can't focus on my schoolwork until the emails come out so I really hope that's not the case 😳They REALLY meant end of business day I guess, huh? 😂
At work and struggling 🥴🥴🥴
zmh15
New Member
This is torture!This wait is killing me. 😢
I feel like I’m going to cry if I get in and I’m going to cry if I don’t get in lol
Why does every minute feel like an hour right now?
100% on the cry no matter the answer lolThis is torture!
I feel like I’m going to cry if I get in and I’m going to cry if I don’t get in lol
Why does every minute feel like an hour right now?
eagerbeaver91
Full Member
So 5pm? 😅
CarnivorousKitten
Full Member
CHECK EMAILS FAM!
OOS Accepted
OOS Accepted
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
chancethedog17
New Member
OOS ACCEPTANCE
IS ACCEPTANCE!!!!!
IS acceptance I’m crying rn
OOS alternate! Congrats to everyone that got accepted!! 🙂