UGA Class of 2022 Hopefuls!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clairebear210

UGA CVM c/o 2022
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I didn't see a thread started for this, so I figured I would do the honors. I'm a non-traditional applicant, and this will be my last year applying to vet school. I got my bachelor's and am working on my master's at UGA. I have lived here for the past 7 years, so if anyone has any questions about Athens, Georgia, or UGA, I would be happy to answer them! I love it here, and I'm hoping to stay for the next five years to get an MS and a DVM.

Go Dawgs!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Yay! I have been hoping this thread would get started - I am a c/o 2021 about to start and was a non-traditional applicant last year. I didn't know anyone else applying to vet school, so SDN was very helpful for me. For people who are new to the process, I found the SDN previous year threads to be helpful to get a general feel for timeline/what to expect (I linked the last three years below - but with the disclaimer that it seems like it goes a little differently every year). The thread last year was particularly active. @clairebear210 sounds like you are a pro at all things Athens, but if anyone else comes along who has questions about the process, etc I'll be quietly lurking so just say my name three times Beetlejuice style and I'll be here. Good luck everyone!!

Class of 2021 thread
Class of 2020 thread
Class of 2019 thread

Reactions: 1 users
Yay UGA!! I am a first time applicant this cycle. I'm a rising senior at UGA studying animal science. I earned my AS in animal science from Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College and then transferred to UGA in Fall 2016. The plan as of now is large animal/ equine medicine, and I'm entertaining the thought of a theriogenology residency (but let's just see how vet school goes first :)). Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yay UGA!! I am a first time applicant this cycle. I'm a rising senior at UGA studying animal science. I earned my AS in animal science from Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College and then transferred to UGA in Fall 2016. The plan as of now is large animal/ equine medicine, and I'm entertaining the thought of a theriogenology residency (but let's just see how vet school goes first :)). Good luck to everyone!
If you are interested in therio, have you taken Applied Reproduction? It's offered every spring. I just took it, and although it was one of the most challenging courses I've ever taken, it was also one of my favorites. We got a ton of palpation time on pregnant and open cows, a lot of ultrasound practice, and we got to watch a vet do semen examinations and embryo flushwork. I would highly recommend it if you're thinking about therio.

Yay! I have been hoping this thread would get started - I am a c/o 2021 about to start and was a non-traditional applicant last year. I didn't know anyone else applying to vet school, so SDN was very helpful for me. For people who are new to the process, I found the SDN previous year threads to be helpful to get a general feel for timeline/what to expect (I linked the last three years below - but with the disclaimer that it seems like it goes a little differently every year). The thread last year was particularly active. @clairebear210 sounds like you are a pro at all things Athens, but if anyone else comes along who has questions about the process, etc I'll be quietly lurking so just say my name three times Beetlejuice style and I'll be here. Good luck everyone!!

Class of 2021 thread
Class of 2020 thread
Class of 2019 thread

How long does it take for UGA to reply to submitted applications? SGU was pretty fast about reviewing and setting up interview.

@AngelofHysteria UGA does not do interviews and it has varied year-to-year what kind of emails/touchpoints people have gotten before they release decisions in late-Jan to early-Feb. Last year, we received an email in the early fall letting us know that our applications were complete and had been passed on for further review. After that, we got a couple of generic update emails sent to everyone who had a complete application (nothing really specific to an individual application) before getting our decision on Monday, February 13 (Monday was atypical, they usually release decisions on Fridays).

Their admissions process link is helpful as well: UGA Academic Affairs

So for the UGA supplemental, I have been struggling for several days on how to approach the essay, specifically the first question. I finally put something on paper, but I'm not totally sure how it will be viewed by the adcom. Instead of addressing multiple "unique" personality traits that I possess, I decided to focus on one trait and show how I possess that trait through a story of a true experience. I won't post my whole essay on here, but the trait is "self-possession" and the story is my encounter with a black bear and her cubs while solo-backpacking.

Do you think the adcom would like something like that and appreciate its outside-of-the-boxness? Or are they just going to be like wtf??

I'm just really trying to not have a run of the mill essay in which the whole thing is "I have this trait and this trait and this trait and I'm really unique because of this and this and this"

@canyonman What's the prompt question this year that you're referring to? (Lurkers on the board who are current students won't be able to see it and it's probably different from last year :) ). Last year our prompt was a list of 5 pairs of words, each pair were antonyms (...kind of). We were supposed to pick the word from each pair that best fit us and then describe how. We had 500 words for the essay to describe 5 words.

A few of us talked about this prompt briefly on this forum last year and I know people who were accepted that did it all over the board. I did the 5 words in the order they came in the prompt and each explanation was somewhat separate from the previous word's explanation with a few exceptions. On the flip side, I know others who were accepted who did the words out of order, they told a story and added each word as it came organically.

Basically, (without knowing the prompt you are dealing with) I think as long as it answers the prompt directly and is well-written, they don't seem to have any issues with doing it outside the box.

As an aside though, according to people in admissions that I talked to and the paragraph at the end of this post from the UGA website, the first "round" of review is with 3 faculty members as opposed to the whole admissions committee. So it's also difficult for someone to say how it will be viewed specifically because you don't know who will be reviewing your application. Again though, it seems that they do not nit pick the format of the essay as long as you answer the question.

"Applicants who meet our minimum requirements will be further evaluated by three UGA College of Veterinary Medicine faculty members. These faculty members will review the application independently. Those candidates whose applications are viewed favorably by the faculty will be forwarded to the Admissions committee for further consideration."

Last edited:
Submitted yesterday!! What a fantastic/ horrible feeling.o_O

@canyonman What's the prompt question this year that you're referring to? (Lurkers on the board who are current students won't be able to see it and it's probably different from last year :) ). Last year our prompt was a list of 5 pairs of words, each pair were antonyms (...kind of). We were supposed to pick the word from each pair that best fit us and then describe how. We had 500 words for the essay to describe 5 words.

A few of us talked about this prompt briefly on this forum last year and I know people who were accepted that did it all over the board. I did the 5 words in the order they came in the prompt and each explanation was somewhat separate from the previous word's explanation with a few exceptions. On the flip side, I know others who were accepted who did the words out of order, they told a story and added each word as it came organically.

Basically, (without knowing the prompt you are dealing with) I think as long as it answers the prompt directly and is well-written, they don't seem to have any issues with doing it outside the box.

As an aside though, according to people in admissions that I talked to and the paragraph at the end of this post from the UGA website, the first "round" of review is with 3 faculty members as opposed to the whole admissions committee. So it's also difficult for someone to say how it will be viewed specifically because you don't know who will be reviewing your application. Again though, it seems that they do not nit pick the format of the essay as long as you answer the question.

"Applicants who meet our minimum requirements will be further evaluated by three UGA College of Veterinary Medicine faculty members. These faculty members will review the application independently. Those candidates whose applications are viewed favorably by the faculty will be forwarded to the Admissions committee for further consideration."
The prompt was "Which of your personality traits makes you a unique applicant? What does diversity mean to you and why does it matter?"

Good luck to the UGA class of 2022 hopefuls! This is my second time applying. Since my last application I have added about 2000 more hours of professional veterinary experience. This time as a surgery technician for an emergency/specialty hospital. I've also done some volunteering this past year with a therapeutic riding organization. And my referrals are better this round - a board certified surgeon and a medical director, both of whom I have worked closely with over the past year. And they're both UGA grads, woo! I also meant to take the GRE again since I had the time but I didn't. Oh well... good luck to everyone! :)

Reactions: 2 users
I've been seeing things on previous years' threads about checking status on elc. When do we get access to that? After the deadline I'm assuming?

@canyonman last year we received an email when we submitted our supplemental application that confirmed it was complete and had directions for logging in to ELC at the bottom (so it could be before the deadline if you submitted the supplemental early).

I believe last year I heard that they lost the staff member that kept the checklist updated in ELC, so they may not be doing that this year. The only thing we were able to see on ELC was the checklist showing that all of our materials were received and that we had completed the pre-reqs - no other updates were available throughout the process on ELC. Last year they sent us an email in early December letting us know that we had made it past the initial faculty review, but nothing changed in ELC with that update or with our decisions on February 13. They are responsive and very nice so I'm sure they would be happy to let you know via email if your application is complete (once enough time has passed from the deadline for them to have reviewed applications) - so you wouldn't be missing too much if they don't do it this year!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
@canyonman I found the link in the thread. It hasn't updated any of my stuff when I know from an email they have received my application and GRE scores. Also if you email them make sure you tell Moore you actually already submitted the application because he tried to gimme some auto reply about VMCAS has the updates on GRE scores being sent etc (it doesn't update the received dates on UGA if you already sent the scores in last cycle in VMCAS). eLC at UGA - log in is your id from VMCAS and password you used for the supplement application.

@canyonman last year we received an email when we submitted our supplemental application that confirmed it was complete and had directions for logging in to ELC at the bottom (so it could be before the deadline if you submitted the supplemental early).

I believe last year I heard that they lost the staff member that kept the checklist updated in ELC, so they may not be doing that this year. The only thing we were able to see on ELC was the checklist showing that all of our materials were received and that we had completed the pre-reqs - no other updates were available throughout the process on ELC. Last year they sent us an email in early December letting us know that we had made it past the initial faculty review, but nothing changed in ELC with that update or with our decisions on February 13. They are responsive and very nice so I'm sure they would be happy to let you know via email if your application is complete (once enough time has passed from the deadline for them to have reviewed applications) - so you wouldn't be missing too much if they don't do it this year!

I submitted a couple weeks ago and did get the email confirming my submission, but there were no instructions for elc. They must have done away with it, or at least are doing it differently this year. Thanks!

:whistle:

Last edited:
Where else did you guys apply?

Last year I just applied to UGA. This year I added Mizzou to my list.

I only did UGA and SGU -- not that interested in UGA but its my IS school. My undergrad experience wasn't the best at UGA.

I only did UGA and SGU -- not that interested in UGA but its my IS school. My undergrad experience wasn't the best at UGA.

That's a bummer! I've heard good things about UGA though I have no first hand experience. Good luck with SGU!

Hi everyone, just thought I'd join! I'm a non-traditional 2nd-time applicant applying to UGA, too :) I've never been to Athens, but I like the school! I hear Athens is one of the best cities for music in the country! Definitely wouldn't mind that :) Good luck everyone!

Hi everyone, just thought I'd join! I'm a non-traditional 2nd-time applicant applying to UGA, too :) I've never been to Athens, but I like the school! I hear Athens is one of the best cities for music in the country! Definitely wouldn't mind that :) Good luck everyone!

Woohoo! Hope we're classmates next year!

I've only applied to UGA (my IS). Plain and simple, I'm just not willing to incur out-of-state debt.

I've only applied to UGA (my IS). Plain and simple, I'm just not willing to incur out-of-state debt.

Same here. Though this year I did add Missouri because of their in-state tuition after the first year but would much rather get accepted into my IS school :)

Last edited:
Got an email today that I don't meet the 250 veterinary experience hours... I work full-time at a veterinary clinic in town as a veterinary assistant since January. Am I missing something?

Got an email today that I don't meet the 250 veterinary experience hours... I work full-time at a veterinary clinic in town as a veterinary assistant since January. Am I missing something?
The only thing I can think of is to check and make sure you entered your hours correctly on your VMCAS. I would also email them to explain your situation.

I applied to UGA, WSU, and Ohio State. UGA is my IS, but I'm applying to the other two because I can switch to in state tuition after a year.

This post probably doesn't belong on this thread but since you're all UGA applicants, why not? I was going to apply to UGA this past cycle and talked myself out of it because I suck at chemistry so my GPA went to crap. I'm on the fence for next cycle because my GPA is still low, like 2.8. (Hopefully I can get it up more come grade submission time and spring and summer semester.) On the other hand, I have a ton of experience hours and an okay GRE. I'm only going to apply to UGA because it's my IS and I refuse to pay terrifyingly high out of state tuition.
The doctor I work for says go for it but what are ya'lls opinions on this? Wait or go for it anyway next cycle?
It really depends on if you want to pay the application fee. I'm not saying you definitely won't get in, but it'll be an uphill battle. Take it from someone who's applying for her sixth (and last) time to UGA. I let my grades slip in undergrad, and it has been HARD to catch back up with everyone else. The good thing about applying this year is that you can hopefully have a file review if you get rejected, and they can give you a better idea of what steps to take to improve your application. That's what I did a few years ago, and now I'm in my second year of grad school and doing really well.
I wish I could be more helpful, but it really depends on how much you're willing to do. There's no correct answer because I can't see the future. However, if you do have an uphill trend in your grades next year, that would look good. Your academic advisor may also be a good person to talk to about this.

Just got an email from UGA CVM stating that my application was complete and moving on to the next phase of the process! They also asked for residency info from SC and Delaware applicants, but interestingly not from GA applicants. Does anyone know when they typically ask for GA residency info?

Just got an email from UGA CVM stating that my application was complete and moving on to the next phase of the process! They also asked for residency info from SC and Delaware applicants, but interestingly not from GA applicants. Does anyone know when they typically ask for GA residency info?
Didn't we have to send in a picture of our GA driver's license on the supplemental, or was that last year?

I got the email this morning also, but I guess it wasn’t clear to me that I had to have all pre-reqs done this semester. I decided not to take physics 2 until spring because I couldn’t afford classes and the application. I just registered...ugh. How bad did I screw up?!!

I got the email this morning also, but I guess it wasn’t clear to me that I had to have all pre-reqs done this semester. I decided not to take physics 2 until spring because I couldn’t afford classes and the application. I just registered...ugh. How bad did I screw up?!!

Is that true? It's not what is on their website. "Required courses (in semester hours) must be completed by the end of spring term with a grade of C (2.00) or better prior to fall matriculation" UGA Academic Affairs I'm in trouble if it is because I am also signed up for spring Physics II.

Is that true? It's not what is on their website. "Required courses (in semester hours) must be completed by the end of spring term with a grade of C (2.00) or better prior to fall matriculation" UGA Academic Affairs I'm in trouble if it is because I am also signed up for spring Physics II.
Hmm, I’m confused! I’m calling in a few and I’ll ask!

You’re all good. Pre-reqs don’t need to be done until spring. But I agree their email was kind of misleading. I too won’t be taking physics II until next semester.

You’re all good. Pre-reqs don’t need to be done until spring. But I agree their email was kind of misleading. I too won’t be taking physics II until next semester.
I emailed later in the day, but I haven't heard back yet. It makes sense we could take classes in the spring....next fall is so far away!

I emailed later in the day, but I haven't heard back yet. It makes sense we could take classes in the spring....next fall is so far away!
So I finally got an email back and it says the deadline for all transcripts is Feb 1. I wrote again asking for more information and asked if I’m disqualified for not having physics 2 complete by feb1. I’m so worried :(.

3983EDCD-A273-43D8-A79A-A3A8028A1788.jpeg
97DE9899-BD02-49C4-8337-E1F8661D45DF.jpeg

Hope this helps. That is directly from the UGA website. All of the pre-reps have to be completed by the end of spring semester. When you filled out your application on VMCAS you should have filled in your expected spring 2018 courses.

The February 1 deadline is for an updated transcript that would include your fall grades. That helps to better evaluate your application.

Best of luck.

So I finally got an email back and it says the deadline for all transcripts is Feb 1. I wrote again asking for more information and asked if I’m disqualified for not having physics 2 complete by feb1. I’m so worried :(.

Hey guys! Figured I would post something on here. I'm a first time IS applicant. I started getting news from other vet schools which of course just makes me more nervous about this one :X3:. February just feels so far away!

Reactions: 2 users
I saw on Facebook that an OOS person was notified of their acceptance today. Has anyone else heard?

I saw on Facebook that an OOS person was notified of their acceptance today. Has anyone else heard?

Today?? Are you sure? Wow no not me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was really surprised to see that too! I have not heard

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hmmm I’m kind of skeptical of that considering they said letters would not be sent out until mid-late February.

Judging by last year's thread, the people hearing today must be in the top 10% which they apparently notify early.

Judging by last year's thread, the people hearing today must be in the top 10% which they apparently notify early.
But I thought they only got their notices a few days before everyone else? Not two months early

Apparently this happened a few years ago, so maybe that’s what’s going on:

“Just saw this on the website ..... Happy New Year from the University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine! This year, because of the large number of out-of-state applicants to our college, we are reviewing these applications in stages. As a consequence, we will be able to extend an early acceptance to a small number of out-of-state applicants prior to January 10th. Most of our out-of-state applicants and all of our applicants from Georgia, South Carolina, and Delaware will undergo final review by our Admissions Committee between January 9 - February 15, 2015.”

Wow thats surprising its a saturday! I havent gotten anything :( oos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk