UGH stumped between bench and clinical research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I'm about to start my post bacc classes and my parents want me to get back into research.

I already have a lot of basic science research hours (like 300+) since I've done a summer internship and a semester of research during college, so I would like to branch out and explore clinical research. Plus it would be a great way for me to gain clinical exposure hours because I'm low in that (only have 60 clinical volunteering hours).

However, the main reason my parents want me to do research is for me to finally get published and
possibly make connections with high up people in med school admissions which I've heard is easier through bench research.

But I've also read conflicting advice on past threads so I'm torn as to which is the better option for me (Side note: I'm also planning on gaining shadowing and non clinical volunteer opportunities within the next year).

All advice is appreciated especially from adcoms like @LizzyM :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm about to start my post bacc classes and my parents want me to get back into research.

I already have a lot of basic science research hours (like 300+) since I've done a summer internship and a semester of research during college, so I would like to branch out and explore clinical research. Plus it would be a great way for me to gain clinical exposure hours because I'm low in that (only have 60 clinical volunteering hours).

However, the main reason my parents want me to do research is for me to finally get published and
possibly make connections with high up people in med school admissions which I've heard is easier through bench research.

But I've also read conflicting advice on past threads so I'm torn as to which is the better option for me (Side note: I'm also planning on gaining shadowing and non clinical volunteer opportunities within the next year).
ASCOMs don’t care which research you do. Knowing “higher ups” will simply lead to a more polite rejection. If the clinical will lead to a publication or a national presentation before application, do it. If the bench research will lead to a publication or a national presentation before application, do that. Regardless of the chances of publication, if there is one you would prefer doing then do that one. Don’t do something just because your parents want you to. And, as that applies to medicine as well, don’t pursue it if it is just because your parents want you to. Getting hung up on these trivial little things is not worth stressing. You are an adult now, do what YOU want to.

ASCOMs don’t care which research you do. Knowing “higher ups” will simply lead to a more polite rejection. If the clinical will lead to a publication or a national presentation before application, do it. If the bench research will lead to a publication or a national presentation before application, do that. Regardless of the chances of publication, if there is one you would prefer doing then do that one. Don’t do something just because your parents want you to. And, as that applies to medicine as well, don’t pursue it if it is just because your parents want you to. Getting hung up on these trivial little things is not worth stressing. You are an adult now, do what YOU want to.

Thanks. I was interested in research and medicine on my own for years now tbh. I just bought up my parents bc I never considered their valid reasoning for doing it before. I'll just choose a preference and act accordingly.

Members don't see this ad :)
clinical ALL the way

Reactions: 1 user

There’s so many troubling aspects of this post, I’m not sure where to begin...

1. Your parents desires are irrelevant.
2. Unless you’re a 14 year old college grad?
3. 300 hours of basic science research isn’t very much. Actually, a summer and a semester should yield closer to 1000 hours, so you probably weren’t particularly committed to it anyway.
4. You’ve got very little in the way of clinical volunteering, which is much more important than research.

Ahhh, parents, doing their best out of love and ignorance to destroy your medical career.

I've never seen bench research be a shortcut to admissions.

Do whatever interests you the most. It's your life not theirs.

Research is overrated as a hook for medical school anyway