Uh 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I did ... and not yet :) Where were you sitting in the "breakout" room?

i think i met you during that interview. come to think of it, you and me could have been in the same group activity.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello again future P1's. I just recieved your preliminary schedules for next fall, and I noticed that you will have Dr. Peidemonte for cells. He pulls some of his material from Lehninger's Principles of Biochemistry. It is one of the recommended texts for cells I. I used this book quite a bit, others I am close to did not. If you have a comprehensive biochem book from undergrad you will probably be fine without it. If you wish to buy my copy of this book, the price is $100 cash. Send me a PM if you are interested. First C-Note gets this publication.

I will be on campus monday and tuesday.

Congrats! When did you interview? I didn't know they sent out acceptance emails - I thought you just got acceptance letters.

I have mine on the same day as yours, I think. =] Fri, Apri 18th

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok so what does Irma Lerma Rangel mean?

I just get a picture of a really nerdy girl with big glasses on a house rangling bulls.

You're brutal man!! Irma Lerma Rangel is a name. She was a South Texas representative in the Texas House of Representatives. She helped pass a bill that created the Texas A&M University HSC School of Pharmacy.

thanks for the luck guys. guess ill be waiting for the email thursday/friday next week. wonder if anyone else on here got interviewed on the 25th? i had an 8am and of the other 8 or so people who arrived early none heard of sdn.

steve

After typing your user ID (your peoplesoft #), click on "Request a New Password". They will send you your password to your email account after you verify your identity by answering a series of questions.

After I clicked on Request a New Password, it asked me for my ID. But when I put in my PeopleSoft Id again, it said that's the wrong information. I emailed Ely Morgan but he hasn't answer me back yet.

yay now i can stalk doanie haha
i might carpool with you but i still haven't found out if i'm movin out yet. i don't think i will so that's good news for you!! now you don't have to worry about filling up twice a week =)

It's good news for you too because you'll spend time with meeeeeeeeeeee not only at school but in traffic too! Hahaha, kidding. It will be a grand ol' time.

After I clicked on Request a New Password, it asked me for my ID. But when I put in my PeopleSoft Id again, it said that's the wrong information. I emailed Ely Morgan but he hasn't answer me back yet.

You can call this # (713-743-1010). That's the general admissions office #. I believe they can help u.

Got my Official Letter today. Just on time. My mom and grandma and aunt come from Vietnam today!!!! They'll be thrilled to see the letter (even thou they don't understand Engl) lol =]
I know i'm behind here, but for the Background check, do I just go to backgroundcheck.com
And what package am I supposed to purchase? Thank you! =]
And again, YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's good news for you too because you'll spend time with meeeeeeeeeeee not only at school but in traffic too! Hahaha, kidding. It will be a grand ol' time.

Oh... I never thought about it like that. Doanie 24/7... [gulp]

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my Official Letter today. Just on time. My mom and grandma and aunt come from Vietnam today!!!! They'll be thrilled to see the letter (even thou they don't understand Engl) lol =]
I know i'm behind here, but for the Background check, do I just go to backgroundcheck.com
And what package am I supposed to purchase? Thank you! =]
And again, YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just put in that code that's written on the paper and the package is already set. You just need to pay :p

Just put in that code that's written on the paper and the package is already set. You just need to pay :p

=( sry... is it just me or I didn't have any code?

=( sry... is it just me or I didn't have any code?

In addition to your acceptance letter, was there a handout with instructions for certifiedbackground.com? There should be red and black text on it. On that handout, there should be steps listed with a 4 character (numbers and letters) code for the website. It should look like this:

"1. Go to www.CertifiedBackground.com and click on "Students."
2. In the Package Code box, enter package code: NV67
3. Select a method of payment: Visa, Mastercard or money order.

Once your order is submitted, you will receive a password to view the results of your background check. The results will be available in approximately 48-72 hours. Once your background check is complete, please provide your organization with the password in order to share your background check results."

I just typed out what was on my handout just in case the college didn't send you a copy... Hope that helps! You can probably use the same package code since it's all going to University of Houston anyway. Did anyone else who did their background check have that same code?

In addition to your acceptance letter, was there a handout with instructions for certifiedbackground.com? There should be red and black text on it. On that handout, there should be steps listed with a 4 character (numbers and letters) code for the website. It should look like this:

"1. Go to www.CertifiedBackground.com and click on "Students."
2. In the Package Code box, enter package code: NV67
3. Select a method of payment: Visa, Mastercard or money order.

Once your order is submitted, you will receive a password to view the results of your background check. The results will be available in approximately 48-72 hours. Once your background check is complete, please provide your organization with the password in order to share your background check results."

I just typed out what was on my handout just in case the college didn't send you a copy... Hope that helps! You can probably use the same package code since it's all going to University of Houston anyway. Did anyone else who did their background check have that same code?

Yap. If I remmember clearly that is the same code.

Yap. If I remmember clearly that is the same code.

Thats the same code we had to use last year.
I remember that code like it was yesterday, but here I sit at 2 AM studying material I learned a month ago and I can't remember crap about it. :rolleyes:

oh... maybe they change it now. Mine just said have my background check on backgroundcheck.com. They didn't say anything else... I guess i'll go with the flow =D
Thanks everyone

How's everyone doing on their finals. I guess that is probably why no one is posting on here this week. I just had to take a 2 minute break. Way to much neurology. I think my interneurons are forming LTD from reading. <-- those who have taken neuro will get that I hope.:laugh:.

How's everyone doing on their finals. I guess that is probably why no one is posting on here this week. I just had to take a 2 minute break. Way to much neurology. I think my interneurons are forming LTD from reading. <-- those who have taken neuro will get that I hope.:laugh:.

Must ... survive... Organic II.

Has anyone else that interviewed on 4/18 heard anything from UH yet? Just curious. According to the admissions office, we should be hearing something this week. Good luck to everyone :)

Must ... survive... Organic II.
Good luck!!! You can do it! I had that same feeling. That was my first final and I'm so relieved that my year of organic chemistry is finally over. That ACS part of the final was dumb. :( I got lucky because I got my acceptance letter before my last midterm and final so I could excuse myself if I didn't do nearly as well. My motivation went down the drain when I knew all I needed was a C...

That's why I'm cramming 5 chapters of Human Anatomy and Physiology in one day and doing the absolute minimum. I am still debating to this minute whether I should even study, haha.

Good luck!!! You can do it! I had that same feeling. That was my first final and I'm so relieved that my year of organic chemistry is finally over. That ACS part of the final was dumb. :( I got lucky because I got my acceptance letter before my last midterm and final so I could excuse myself if I didn't do nearly as well. My motivation went down the drain when I knew all I needed was a C...

That's why I'm cramming 5 chapters of Human Anatomy and Physiology in one day and doing the absolute minimum. I am still debating to this minute whether I should even study, haha.

Thanks and good luck on you A&P. Go study. It's almost over.

I screwed up in organic on my second test. I got my acceptance letter for Texas Tech the Friday before the test and was so excited I had a hard time concentrating to study for that test. I've been trying all semester to make up for that error.

Oh, yeah, I better go study, too.

Yah. the same thing happened to me, I lost my motivation. Not till I remembered that I will need those grades later in life. u know they can also go back and look at those grades, more especially if u want to further ur education. Well good luck on ur remaining finals. I got to go study for my Human Phys, its at 6pm today.

Has any other tabled people heard anything yet? I got tabled after the 3/19 interview and was wondering if anyone in my situation has heard anything yet.

Did anybody receive news from the college regarding anything? It's taking an awfully long time to get my FAFSA thing going. I wanna be able to take care of everything before I take my little summer vacation.

It looks like we can start adding our classes through peoplesoft but I have not done it yet since I have not received any word about registration from the college. Did anybody register any classes yet?

Yay. the same thing happened to me, I lost me motivation. Not till I remembered that I will need those grades later in life. u know they can also go back and look at those grades, more especially if u want to further u education.

I thought bout that too but then I realized that I don't want to further my education haha. I don't want to do research or become a professor so getting a PhD doesn't really make much sense for me. I'm planning on doing a lot of work overseas in different countries and I don't really think they'll be looking at my Undergraduate Physics grade haha :D

oh and PHYSICS SUCKS!!! I HATE IT!!! I've had 8 tests this semester.... 8!!!! WHO DOES THAT?!?! sorry... just needed to vent =)

I thought bout that too but then I realized that I don't want to further my education haha. I don't want to do research or become a professor so getting a PhD doesn't really make much sense for me. I'm planning on doing a lot of work overseas in different countries and I don't really think they'll be looking at my Undergraduate Physics grade haha :D

oh and PHYSICS SUCKS!!! I HATE IT!!! I've had 8 tests this semester.... 8!!!! WHO DOES THAT?!?! sorry... just needed to vent =)

Did you have Dr. Dubois????!!!Crazy old fella!!:D he knows it, too! But he's a genuinely nice guy.

Holy crap! EIGHT TESTS!? :eek: Our physic final is only the third exam! Then again, I guess me and some people got lucky because our professor was changed to another new one in the beginning of the semester (for w/e reason I don't remember). Haha but it's almost over :D yahhhh I am so glad

I agree with u it sucks, big time.

Did anybody receive news from the college regarding anything? It's taking an awfully long time to get my FAFSA thing going. I wanna be able to take care of everything before I take my little summer vacation.

It looks like we can start adding our classes through peoplesoft but I have not done it yet since I have not received any word about registration from the college. Did anybody register any classes yet?

I haven't heard anything about my FAFSA yet either. Does everyone else's financial aid info say this under it: No self-service access for this aid year.. Is that what it's supposed to say right now if they haven't finished it?

I haven't heard anything about my FAFSA yet either. Does everyone else's financial aid info say this under it: No self-service access for this aid year.. Is that what it's supposed to say right now if they haven't finished it?
That's what it says on mine. I completed everything before April 1st and in the FINAID handbook it says that they'll let us know by last week of April. :(

Has any other tabled people heard anything yet? I got tabled after the 3/19 interview and was wondering if anyone in my situation has heard anything yet.

Yes!!! I just found out today that I am on the waitlist for Fall 2008!! My number is pretty low so most likely I will be joining all you other illustrious brand new pharmacy students!!! Praise God!!! I am beyond overjoyed! I've been waiting since October, and I feel like I can finally relax!:biglove::zip:

Did you have Dr. Dubois????!!!Crazy old fella!!:D he knows it, too! But he's a genuinely nice guy.

Yes!! I VERY MUCH DISLIKE HIM!!! He doesn't even teach!!! He's talked to us about war strategies, his time in the "mafia", something about russia, WWII, and everything other than physics. who gives 8 exams? and i got his stupid final tomorrow and he didn't go over the last 5 chapters with us but he expects us to know it!!! ANDDDDD.. he lost 4 of my HWs and gave me zeroes for them... ANDDDD... he lost my practice final exam and gave me a zero for that (along with 6 other students). and he or his TA keep adding up the points on my tests wrong so i have to return it each time to get those points added (still haven't gotten back my last two exams). the dude's a chemist for cryin out loud!!! he teaches the class like an AP High School Course... which doesn't seem that bad until u think back at how much HW you had in ur AP classes. packets and packets of hw each night... drives me crazy!!! NO ONE has the kind of time on their hands unless ur taking 6 hours total or something like that. he's a great GUY but he's THE WORST professor i have ever had. can kiss my 3.99 goodbye!!

oh and sorry... i just had to vent. if ur a planning on taking physics for some odd reason... please please please take it at HCC (unless u can take Miller who curves like crazy!!!)

That's what it says on mine. I completed everything before April 1st and in the FINAID handbook it says that they'll let us know by last week of April. :(

mine says that as well. don't worry.. if u currently attend UH, u know that they are pretty slow when it comes to stuff like this. i got my texas tech financial aid reward letter a month ago (declined the offer tho). that's one thing i don't like about UH... it takes them a thousand years to process stuff (ESPECIALLY FINANCIAL AID).

Yes!! I VERY MUCH DISLIKE HIM!!! He doesn't even teach!!! He's talked to us about war strategies, his time in the "mafia", something about russia, WWII, and everything other than physics. who gives 8 exams? and i got his stupid final tomorrow and he didn't go over the last 5 chapters with us but he expects us to know it!!! ANDDDDD.. he lost 4 of my HWs and gave me zeroes for them... ANDDDD... he lost my practice final exam and gave me a zero for that (along with 6 other students). and he or his TA keep adding up the points on my tests wrong so i have to return it each time to get those points added (still haven't gotten back my last two exams). the dude's a chemist for cryin out loud!!! he teachs the class like an AP High School Course... which doesn't seem that bad until u think back at how much HW you had in ur AP classes. packets and packets of hw each night... drives me crazy!!! NO ONE has the kind of time on their hands unless ur taking 6 hours total or something like that. he's a great GUY but he's THE WORST professor i have ever had. can kiss my 3.99 goodbye!!

oh and sorry... i just had to vent. if ur a planning on taking physics for some odd reason... please please please take it at HCC (unless u can take Miller who curves like crazy!!!)

LMAO :lol:I had him last semester. It was his first semester at UH, too. First day of class he gave us 6 packets of hw which was due the following meeting. then on the second, I think he gave us four more additional hw packets. It was like that the entire semester!:eek: I never turned in my hw on time. I was always late but he always gave me full credit.:D
The good thing about his exams is that it's very easy to make a 100. He'd give like 75 questions and then he'd decide later on what score constitute a 100. There was one time he gave 45 questions but if you got 19 correct, you'd get a 100. :laugh: Never had a teacher quite like him. Yeah, he doesn't really teach. He works out how to derive formulas but he sucks at working problems on the board. Very disorganized, too. I had to get a physics dvd video to figure out how to work out most of the problems in class. Although unlike other physics prof at UH, he doesn't rely on powerpoints and he does demos. I liked that.
In the end, I had an A- in that class which was really surprising to me since I "aced" all his exams. I know, weird!! I didn't complain since I was always turning my hw late :smuggrin: He's crazy, I tell you.
Oh, I remember, one time he sent us an email containing 4 different sets of hw (20-30 questions each) on a weekend. He said it was due Monday and that we should have fun. The next time I saw him, I said, "I think you're having too much fun hitting that "send" button." He laughed and replied, "yeah, I know! crazy, aren't I?" To which another classmate of mine replied "Duh!":laugh::laugh:

LMAO :lol:I had him last semester. It was his first semester at UH, too. First day of class he gave us 6 packets of hw which was due the following meeting. then on the second, I think he gave us four more additional hw packets. It was like that the entire semester!:eek: I never turned in my hw on time. I was always late but he always gave me full credit.:D
The good thing about his exams is that it's very easy to make a 100. He'd give like 75 questions and then he'd decide later on what score constitute a 100. There was one time he gave 45 questions but if you got 19 correct, you'd get a 100. :laugh: Never had a teacher quite like him. Yeah, he doesn't really teach. He works out how to derive formulas but he sucks at working problems on the board. Very disorganized, too. I had to get a physics dvd video to figure out how to work out most of the problems in class. Although unlike other physics prof at UH, he doesn't rely on powerpoints and he does demos. I liked that.
In the end, I had an A- in that class which was really surprising to me since I "aced" all his exams. I know, weird!! I didn't complain since I was always turning my hw late :smuggrin: He's crazy, I tell you.
Oh, I remember, one time he sent us an email containing 4 different sets of hw (20-30 questions each) on a weekend. He said it was due Monday and that we should have fun. The next time I saw him, I said, "I think you're having too much fun hitting that "send" button." He laughed and replied, "yeah, I know! crazy, aren't I?" To which another classmate of mine replied "Duh!":laugh::laugh:

haha he's pure evil i tell ya!!! yea he send multiple copies of his emails which is annoying!!! i just need a C in this class... that's it. but i know this final is gonna kill me being that i haven't learned anything this whole semester. its pretty messed up but w/e. hopefully i'll get a 50 and he'll say that's a 100 hahaha =)

Yes!!! I just found out today that I am on the waitlist for Fall 2008!! My number is pretty low so most likely I will be joining all you other illustrious brand new pharmacy students!!! Praise God!!! I am beyond overjoyed! I've been waiting since October, and I feel like I can finally relax!:biglove::zip:

Congrats! If your number is low you'll probably get pulled off the waitlist! Last year, I think, they pulled 20 people off. It's a hearsay so don't ask where I got that info :D

haha he's pure evil i tell ya!!! yea he send multiple copies of his emails which is annoying!!! i just need a C in this class... that's it. but i know this final is gonna kill me being that i haven't learned anything this whole semester. its pretty messed up but w/e. hopefully i'll get a 50 and he'll say that's a 100 hahaha =)

Does he still tell stories about his wife or how he grew up in a "ghetto" neighborhood in Vermont? Sometimes, he would tell us stories about them during the entire period. Then, later on when it's almost time to dismiss the class, he would try to cram 1 hour of lecture into 5-10 minutes!! :idea:

Dr. Mayes is The BEST Physics 1 and Physics 2 Professor! he will give you an "F+"

I seriously can't stand Dr. Dubious either, and I have his final tomorrow at 11. Well congrats to pharmdiva for the waitlisting, I wonder if my fate is decided and being mailed already...it should be.

By the way, I heard some schools accept all the waitlisted students the following year if they don't get in...is that true for UH too? I kinda doubt it.

Does he still tell stories about his wife or how he grew up in a "ghetto" neighborhood in Vermont? Sometimes, he would tell us stories about them during the entire period. Then, later on when it's almost time to dismiss the class, he would try to cram 1 hour of lecture into 5-10 minutes!! :idea:

yup!!! that's exactly it!! he needs to retire!!

I seriously can't stand Dr. Dubious either, and I have his final tomorrow at 11. Well congrats to pharmdiva for the waitlisting, I wonder if my fate is decided and being mailed already...it should be.

By the way, I heard some schools accept all the waitlisted students the following year if they don't get in...is that true for UH too? I kinda doubt it.

no its not like that at UH. yea i have his final at 11 too. everyone's so gonna cheat on that test!!! esp the people in the back!! it pisses me off how some of us work hard and study our bums off while others sit in the back and look off their notes and cheat off each other. this smart kid got his practice final jacked by some ppl. its really sad how they don't have morals!!!

speaking of cheating: my friend is a business major and she was taking her accounting final a couple days ago. well when she was about done, she turned the exam to the very first page and then heard the guy behind her whisper, "NO NO... TURN IT BACK TO THE SECOND PAGE". He had been cheating off her the whole time!! Dang did she get MAD!!! she turned in her test and pointed the guy out =D I was like... YAY!!! GOOD JOB!!!

Yes!! I VERY MUCH DISLIKE HIM!!! He doesn't even teach!!! He's talked to us about war strategies, his time in the "mafia", something about russia, WWII, and everything other than physics. who gives 8 exams? and i got his stupid final tomorrow and he didn't go over the last 5 chapters with us but he expects us to know it!!! ANDDDDD.. he lost 4 of my HWs and gave me zeroes for them... ANDDDD... he lost my practice final exam and gave me a zero for that (along with 6 other students). and he or his TA keep adding up the points on my tests wrong so i have to return it each time to get those points added (still haven't gotten back my last two exams). the dude's a chemist for cryin out loud!!! he teaches the class like an AP High School Course... which doesn't seem that bad until u think back at how much HW you had in ur AP classes. packets and packets of hw each night... drives me crazy!!! NO ONE has the kind of time on their hands unless ur taking 6 hours total or something like that. he's a great GUY but he's THE WORST professor i have ever had. can kiss my 3.99 goodbye!!

WTF!? How is he going to give you zeros for the homeworks HE LOST!? Why the heck is he teaching physic if he is a chemist!? aww I feel so bad for you :( at least it's almost over, were you going after a degree b/c taking physic? I was debating on dropping it after got accepted, but decided to stay cause it was almost over. but hey, after tomorrow = celebration!!!!!! until august :p you Can do it you can do it you can do it :D good luckkk :luck::luck::luck:

no its not like that at UH. yea i have his final at 11 too. everyone's so gonna cheat on that test!!! esp the people in the back!! it pisses me off how some of us work hard and study our bums off while others sit in the back and look off their notes and cheat off each other. this smart kid got his practice final jacked by some ppl. its really sad how they don't have morals!!!

speaking of cheating: my friend is a business major and she was taking her accounting final a couple days ago. well when she was about done, she turned the exam to the very first page and then heard the guy behind her whisper, "NO NO... TURN IT BACK TO THE SECOND PAGE". He had been cheating off her the whole time!! Dang did she get MAD!!! she turned in her test and pointed the guy out =D I was like... YAY!!! GOOD JOB!!!

There were a lot of people like that in my microbio class like that before... makes me so angry :mad: and the teacher knows too!
They are screwing themselves over in the long run. Continuing cheating like that they will never learn anything. And if some of those people gets caught by teacher who actually cares, their academic life is over. Probably be on their record forever.

he's a great GUY but he's THE WORST professor i have ever had.

He may be a bad professor but he's not the WORST professor I've had at UH. There is this elderly gentleman, who looks like he should have retired ages ago, who still teaches at UH. He just READS his notes VERBATIM!!! during each and every class. HE READS TO COLLEGE STUDENTS! I wonder how he thinks we got here -- having our parents read us bed time stories up to now???!! The whole semester I felt that his reading sessions were an insult to our intelligence. Each lecture only 15-20 people would show up because they didn't feel like listening to him. I went coz I felt bad for him but I was just another warm body in the room. I gave him a really sucky eval afterwards!:smuggrin: My friends told me I should have been nice to the old man but that's not the way I saw it; he was there to teach and if he can't do that anymore he should retire.

My immunology professor fixed the whole cheating thing in his class. He had different tests that all looked exactly the same, so people who cheated got all the wrong answers and didnt even know. there was about 1/3 of the class with Ds and Fs. He would just sit there and watch the people cheat. Some of the cheaters never figured it out the whole semester and just keep trying like maybe they were cheating off a stupid person the first test.

As far as the Financial Aid thing goes, we (meaning the whole of UH) is suppose to find out our loan awards around the 15th. Thats what the FINAID office told me today.