UH interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qwerty2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Those that had interview or invited for one with the university of Houston, did they send you an email containing INTERVIEW QUESTIONNAIRE and SELF ASSESSMENT / SELF EVALUATION as well as two essay topics to write 400-600 word typewritten essay on one of them?Are the interview questinnaire and the essay the same as the ones they will ask during the interview? Also can you tell me more on what they call group discussion( team work assessment) with other applicants, and how much time is given to fourmulate our thoughts prior to the teamwork assessment after they give us the topic.

Thanks in advance for yor responses.

Members don't see this ad.

I think we all got the questionnaire. A few of the questions my interviewer asked me were related to the questionnaire, but they weren't the exact same questions. More like, "It says here on your questionnaire that you think so-and-so are the qualities of a good pharmacist. Talk about two of those qualities for me."

The writing sample (essay) at the interview is completely different and unrelated from the questionnaire essay.

For the team work thing, you have this crisis to deal with. They give you a packet with a long story that involves you and a group of people doing something really stupid and getting yourself in all sorts of trouble. You get to read this packet alone first. What I mean is, you get a chance to review the crisis and think about what you would do by yourself, without group participation, before you even meet the members of your group. You answer some questions alone, then later you meet the members of your group, you go into a room and sit in a semicircle while ten UH students sit around grading you, and then you go over the same story and answer all the same questions you answered before, but this time as a group. I don't know exactly what you're graded on. Communication skills I guess.

You get forty-five minutes to work through the team work crisis alone. Then later in the day you get thirty minutes to work through the crisis as a group.

that1guy said:
I think we all got the questionnaire. A few of the questions my interviewer asked me were related to the questionnaire, but they weren't the exact same questions. More like, "It says here on your questionnaire that you think so-and-so are the qualities of a good pharmacist. Talk about two of those qualities for me."

The writing sample (essay) at the interview is completely different and unrelated from the questionnaire essay.

For the team work thing, you have this crisis to deal with. They give you a packet with a long story that involves you and a group of people doing something really stupid and getting yourself in all sorts of trouble. You get to read this packet alone first. What I mean is, you get a chance to review the crisis and think about what you would do by yourself, without group participation, before you even meet the members of your group. You answer some questions alone, then later you meet the members of your group, you go into a room and sit in a semicircle while ten UH students sit around grading you, and then you go over the same story and answer all the same questions you answered before, but this time as a group. I don't know exactly what you're graded on. Communication skills I guess.

You get forty-five minutes to work through the team work crisis alone. Then later in the day you get thirty minutes to work through the crisis as a group.
thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
.. To say that I am nervous about this interview will be an unjust understatement... :scared: :D .... it's my first one :oops: ...... BUT, success will be mine, I'm walking with the Lord on this one, always have... It will be all good in the end... BUT I'M NERVOUS!... even though, the one guy that interviewed on Jan 27th said there is not reason to be. Can't help it

Itoohaveadream said:
.. To say that I am nervous about this interview will be an unjust understatement... :scared: :D .... it's my first one :oops: ...... BUT, success will be mine, I'm walking with the Lord on this one, always have... It will be all good in the end... BUT I'M NERVOUS!... even though, the one guy that interviewed on Jan 27th said there is not reason to be. Can't help it

nervous, scared, anxious - u name it! :scared: When is your interview? Good Luck.

Genuine said:
nervous, scared, anxious - u name it! :scared: When is your interview? Good Luck.

Feb 24. Urs is on the 10th right? You have to tell me how it goes... GOOD LUCK!!!

Itoohaveadream said:
Feb 24. Urs is on the 10th right? You have to tell me how it goes... GOOD LUCK!!!

Thx! Yes 10th it is... will def. let u know:) .

Genuine said:
Thx! Yes 10th it is... will def. let u know:) .

Hey guys (Genuine and Itoohaveadream)
I was wondering when you guys got your invites..I'm starting to get really nervous :scared: thanks ..and good luck!

sweetmurphy said:
I was wondering when you guys got your invites..I'm starting to get really nervous :scared: thanks ..and good luck!

Hey sweetmurphy, this is the reason I was kinda hesitant to post that I got an interview. Because I know the stress I experienced whenever I saw the list of interviews everybody else had already... Anywho.. don't get scared. My newly-adopted philosophy: what will be will be. No matter how much you stress, it's not going to bring you an invite, or stop you from getting one... So relax:).. Easier said than done(I know;)..... With all that said, I got the email yesterday....

sweetmurphy said:

I got my invite 1/19. They are still evaluating --- and inviting people, so dont lose hope.

And like Itoohaveadream said: "what will be will be". So as hard as it is not to stress and worry --- try to just relax and enjoy your time now.

Good Luck!

Itoohaveadream said:
Hey sweetmurphy, this is the reason I was kinda hesitant to post that I got an interview. Because I know the stress I experienced whenever I saw the list of interviews everybody else had already... Anywho.. don't get scared. My newly-adopted philosophy: what will be will be. No matter how much you stress, it's not going to bring you an invite, or stop you from getting one... So relax:).. Easier said than done(I know;)..... With all that said, I got the email yesterday....

I like your philosophy. I have been trying to do the same. If you don't mind me asking, when did you submit your application?

utssk said:
I like your philosophy. I have been trying to do the same. If you don't mind me asking, when did you submit your application?

The tracking site says i submitted on Jan 5th.. but I feel like that was when they received all my stuff(rec letter,app. fee). I'm pretty sure I submitted my online application before then.... I could be wrong...

Itoohaveadream said:

Thank you so much :) I am nervous, but what will happen, will happen whether I worry or not, like you said :p Plus, it still is somewhat early, so there's no point in worrying right now..anyways good luck on your interview and let us know how it goes!

Members don't see this ad :)
sweetmurphy said:
Thank you so much :) I am nervous, but what will happen, will happen whether I worry or not, like you said :p Plus, it still is somewhat early, so there's no point in worrying right now..anyways good luck on your interview and let us know how it goes!

Well, it doesn't look good for me. I applied back in Oct. and haven't heard anything. Oh well. You guys are right. I'm letting it go. :(

wheelsonfire said:
Well, it doesn't look good for me. I applied back in Oct. and haven't heard anything. Oh well. You guys are right. I'm letting it go. :(

Wheelsonfire, as long as you haven't received a "hell no" reply from them, I wouldn't give up. I called up there once before I got my invite, and they said they would give me a response either way.... So, if you have not gotten a NO, there is still hope!! Don't give up!

Itoohaveadream said:
Wheelsonfire, as long as you haven't received a "hell no" reply from them, I wouldn't give up. I called up there once before I got my invite, and they said they would give me a response either way.... So, if you have not gotten a NO, there is still hope!! Don't give up!

Thanks for the encouraging words, but I'm losing faith.
I'm a re-applicant with a degree in bio and I've re-taken darn near every pre-pharm class there is with an A. I keep takin' the PCAT to get in the 90's, but the best I can manage so far is high 70's(waiting for Jan score :scared: ). I have tons of pharmacy tech experience as well as public health experience & awesome rec letters. I just don't know if I can make-up for my youthful undergrad mistakes. BooHoo.
Kudos to all those with interviews. I'm quite sure you deserve them.
Since I applied in Oct. & haven't heard a word, I KNOW I'm out of the running.
So, I'll be back next year with renewed faith, a better PCAT, a "better" GPA, & more rec letters,etc. I will not be ignored(no matter how much money and time it costs me).
Sorry for the rant, but I'm tired.

timbo301 said:
Good luck to everyone that interviews at UH! I'm a first year and was an ambassador on the Jan 27th interview? Did I meet anyone there that is on here? I'll be at the feb 24th interview too. My name is Timmy.

Hi Timmy,

What about for 2/10th interviews? Are their any first years that are ambassadors for this date?

Thanks!

timbo301 said:
There will always be first year ambassadors at each interview. Usually there are 1st,2nd, and 3rd years there. Unfortunately, I'm not too sure if too many first years will be there on your date. We have an organs exam on that day and I'm sure many of us will be cramming!

oooh organs exam --- sounds hard! Well thanks for the response... and Good Luck on the exam.

timbo301 said:
Good luck to everyone that interviews at UH! I'm a first year and was an ambassador on the Jan 27th interview? Did I meet anyone there that is on here? I'll be at the feb 24th interview too. My name is Timmy.

timmy--i met ya!

:confused: Does anyone know if you have to have everything completed in order for you to get an interview? One of my rec is still not turned in. It was sent last week. I do not know if that is the hold up or if I just did not get an early interview. Thanks and good luck to everyone.

i think that my interview went good. i had dr. simpson--she was really nice!

i dont think that they are waiting for everything because on my letter they said to please bring anything that was not in your application (letters, transcripts, etc). but i dont really know.

ok i'm giving up on houston. :(:(:(:(:(:(

vicky336 said:
ok i'm giving up on houston. :(:(:(:(:(:(

Aww, when did you turn in ur application? You haven't gotten a rejection letter! don't give up!!! Tell that to your patner wheelsonfire too:)

Itoohaveadream said:
Aww, when did you turn in ur application? You haven't gotten a rejection letter! don't give up!!! Tell that to your patner wheelsonfire too:)

Thanks, man........I applied the day the app went online (I was an early application stalker). I've watched this site long enough to know that early application is the key to "underachiever" success.
As far as I can tell, no one on this site should be labeled as an "underachiever"(except for the creepy folks). It's all about the pool of applicants and the adcoms that judge them, I’ll keep on trying, but, at this point........it's up to the universe to decide my fate.
It's hard to watch all of the updates on interviews and acceptance notices, but I am truly happy for everyone. I hope that the pharmacist that fills my next RX will be one of you fine individuals (except for the creepy ones, again). :)

so it appears they sent out some emails today for an interview on March 3rd. Someone posted this on the interview thread.. Check your emails, and if it's not there don't give up.. maybe next tuesday... (it seems they send them on tuesdays... but maybe it's just a coincidence)

Itoohaveadream said:
so it appears they sent out some emails today for an interview on March 3rd. Someone posted this on the interview thread.. Check your emails, and if it's not there don't give up.. maybe next tuesday... (it seems they send them on tuesdays... but maybe it's just a coincidence)

okay ya, i think it's just a coincidence :oops:

paige pitman (the admissions director) said that they are doing 9 interviews. so with the emails that were just sent out that is just 3. 6 more. and they wouldnt do the interviews unless they were going to pick people from that interview! :D

timbo301 said:
what? there are still 7 interview dates left!

So what's your favorite and least favorite thing about UH Timbo?

timbo301 said:
what? there are still 7 interview dates left!

sorry timmy--that is what paige told me. 9 interviews, about 27 people per interview. yeah--i know that you just love going to the interviews! :D

anyone get an interview this week for uh?? :confused:

sweetmurphy said:
anyone get an interview this week for uh?? :confused:

Not yet for me. My pharmacy rec was late getting there. I don't know if that has any influence or they just don't like me. When did you send in your application? :confused:

they emailed me today. and they also included the 10 million things you have to fill out and write before the interview. :)

March 14 interview. Just received it today. My application was not complete until 2-15. Now if Texas would just send my transcript over I will feel better.

I got invitation on 2/14 too, for March 10th.

I think I am a little confused by UH's iterview process. From the information I read on this and other threads, seems earliest interview was 1/27. Paige said there are totally 9 interviews, yet Meagan told me interviews runs from Jan to April..... I just can't do the right math here :p (I am assuming there is one interview every week)

Anyways, I also don't know if they decide the interview date based on applicant's GPA/PCAT ranking. I wonder if admission letters are sent out whenever they see a good candidates, or they wait till they finish all interviews.

I guess I am just too stressed, UH is not easy to get in. I want to have a feel where I am.

ding said:
I got invitation on 2/14 too, for March 10th.

I think I am a little confused by UH's iterview process. From the information I read on this and other threads, seems earliest interview was 1/27. Paige said there are totally 9 interviews, yet Meagan told me interviews runs from Jan to April..... I just can't do the right math here :p (I am assuming there is one interview every week)

Anyways, I also don't know if they decide the interview date based on applicant's GPA/PCAT ranking. I wonder if admission letters are sent out whenever they see a good candidates, or they wait till they finish all interviews.

I guess I am just too stressed, UH is not easy to get in. I want to have a feel where I am.

if im doing my math right...
1st interview: 1/27
2nd interview: 2/10
3rd interview: 2/24
4th interview: 3/10

... and so on.

SO u will be round 4 which is still really good. And like timbo301 said its rolling admissions. I believe some of the SDN members who interviewed 1/27, have already gotten their acceptance letters... so they found out in about 2 wks.

Good Luck!

Itoohaveadream said:
Ms Genuine is so nice:)..

Thanks Itoohaveadream!

Most people on SDN are really nice and helpful. I guess most of us are in the same boat, and so can relate with each other --- all the nervousness, worries, anxiety... all those emotions :)

Genuine said:
if im doing my math right...
1st interview: 1/27
2nd interview: 2/10
3rd interview: 2/24
4th interview: 3/10

... and so on.

SO u will be round 4 which is still really good. And like timbo301 said its rolling admissions. I believe some of the SDN members who interviewed 1/27, have already gotten their acceptance letters... so they found out in about 2 wks.

Good Luck!

I think there is another one on March 3 ????? :confused:

Louise Hall said:
I think there is another one on March 3 ????? :confused:

hmm there is? that kinda throws the 2 wk gap off track! :confused: