uh White? Asian? What do I Write?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wr9152

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
HELLO guys
im a long away from applying to medical school but i know that its easier for some minorities to get accepted while harder for asians. All my life i have been writing that iam white, but im really middle eastern and i am underrepresented. is there an OTHER option? because hell no im not writting asian lol, and i dont want to write white either.

Members don't see this ad.

You do realize that tons of Asian and White get accepted every year right? That's why they're considered ORM. Writing asian/white on your application does not keep you from med schools.

No dont get me wrong about this, of course many asians do get in however it more competative thats what im saying. but my question is is there or will there ever be a middle easter ethnicity option?

Members don't see this ad :)
HELLO guys
im a long away from applying to medical school but i know that its easier for some minorities to get accepted while harder for asians. All my life i have been writing that iam white, but im really middle eastern and i am underrepresented. is there an OTHER option? because hell no im not writting asian lol, and i dont want to write white either.

Middle easterners are certainly not under represented in the US especially in healthcare. Just write that you are a white, better than writing you are asian. Or if there is some sort of other option you can write middle eastern (its not going to boost your chances or anything).

There probably won't be a middle easterner option until the population of middle easterners as a percentage goes up. Right now it doesn't register on the radar.

So, a non-URM is asking how he can appear to be a URM to up his chances of getting accepted? :lame:

Work harder and make yourself a better applicant.

“White” refers to a person having origins in any of the original peoples
of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa. It includes people who indicated
their race(s) as “White” or reported entries such as Irish, German,
Italian, Lebanese, Arab, Moroccan, or Caucasian.

Be as good or better than 55% of your peer group and you're golden (even if you are white :rolleyes: ).

Also, you need to be honest in your application.

There's an other/fill-in box, so you can put whatever you want.

HELLO guys

You should probably learn why the concept of URM exists. It isn't about you. It is about healthcare in America. The school nor the government has any incentive to make your admission to medical school easier.

Write Asian so you can say you played AMCAS in beast mode.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
HELLO guys
im a long away from applying to medical school but I know that its easier for some minorities to get accepted while harder for asians. All my life i have been writing that iam white, but im really middle eastern and i am underrepresented. is there an OTHER option? because hell no im not writting asian lol, and i dont want to write white either.

Arabs are certainly not underrepresented in medicine. They are probably over represented. As a rule arabs are considered caucasian, unfortunately this term is pretty vague as it usually also refers to north indians, pakistanis, afghanis, europeans, etc (at least in terms of its definition).

Anyways, some apps have other, some have middle eastern, and some even have arabian. Honestly though, I'd write either white or other. I have seen some egyptians pass for African American (technically they are African American), but they were also saidi and were black, so it was justifiable.

Best post of the day.

Last edited:

I guess that makes every Asian who gets in a beast. :rolleyes:

Arabs are certainly not underrepresented in medicine. They are probably over represented. As a rule arabs are considered caucasian, unfortunately this term is pretty vague as it usually also refers to north indians, pakistanis, afghanis, europeans, etc (at least in terms of its definition).

Anyways, some apps have other, some have middle eastern, and some even have arabian. Honestly though, I'd write either white or other. I have seen some egyptians pass for African American (technically they are African American), but they were also saidi and were black, so it was justifiable.

Best post of the day.

Keep in mind regarding Egyptians:

“White” refers to a person having origins in any of the original peoples
of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa. It includes people who indicated
their race(s) as “White” or reported entries such as Irish, German,
Italian, Lebanese, Arab, Moroccan, or Caucasian.

Black or African American.A person having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa. It includes people who indicate their race as “Black, African Am., or Negro” or report entries such as African American, Kenyan, Nigerian, or Haitian.

Egyptians do not meet the definition by the US census of "Black or African-American". The adcom is not beyond calling B***s*** on anyone who claims to be Black or African American under these circumstances.

What's with middle easterners wanting to be minorities. Not long ago I met another arab chick trying to exploit that. You're white, get over it.

Sent from my SCH-R910 using SDN Mobile

To be honest, I never knew middle easterners could be considered "Caucasian" or "White"

I guess you learn something new every day!

What's with middle easterners wanting to be minorities. Not long ago I met another arab chick trying to exploit that. You're white, get over it.

Sent from my SCH-R910 using SDN Mobile

Hipsters trying to ditch the majority

HELLO guys

Best post of the day.

To be honest, I never knew middle easterners could be considered "Caucasian" or "White"

I guess you learn something new every day!

Genetically speaking, Middle Eastern peoples cluster closest to Europeans. They are thus a Caucasian subgroup. Things get tricky when you move into North African populations as some have ancient and/or African ancestry that defy predefined racial groups.