Uhhhh maybe I learned this wrong? Nomenclature problem, maybe?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BoneMental

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got this question wrong on a practice exam I took, and I'm a bit confused why.

Basically, the question asked what aldosterone does.

I know aldosterone increases the amount of Na+ pushed out of the distal tubule, and as a result, water comes out as well. This is absorbed by the vasa recta and the other blood vessels in the kidney. This I know.

However, the correct answer was that it "increases re-absorption by the kidney tubule"

Uh...is kidney tubule different from the nephron tubules?

Members don't see this ad.

I just got this question wrong on a practice exam I took, and I'm a bit confused why.

I know aldosterone increases the amount of Na+ pushed out of the distal tubule, and as a result, water comes out as well. This is absorbed by the vasa recta and the other blood vessels in the kidney. This I know.

However, the correct answer was that it "increases re-absorption by the kidney tubule"

Um I thought kidney and nephron tubule was the same thing?

That's exactly what re-absorption is. Seems you never quite learned exactly what is meant by re-absorption.

That's exactly what re-absorption is. Seems you never quite learned exactly what is meant by re-absorption.

Um....reabsorption is not the same thing as secretion....? I think I'm confused. Please explain it a bit more to me. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Re-absorption = put it back in the blood
Secretion = put it in the urine

therefore, Aldosterone causes Na+ RETENTION (and indirectly water retention) via re-absorption.

Aldosterone causes Na+ re-absorption meaning taking sodium from the filtrate (stuff in the lumen) back into the blood. It also causes the secretion of Potassium K+ which means take out of the blood and put into the urine to be removed from the body. Reabsorption and secretion two totally opposite things and it's crucial you get this concept down even though it's extremely simple.