UHS changes name

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by minime, Apr 20, 2004.

1. minime

minime Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Effective July 1 the University of Health Sciences-College of Osteopathic Medicine will be Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences.

Notice that "osteopathic" isn't included in the name. I personally think the change is good, although I don't know how it will affect us when we match since no one will know what it is. Any thoughts?

2. bigmuny

bigmuny Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I think the name sounds a hell of a lot better than "the university of health sciences" which to me sounds sort of generic and kind of sketchy(sounds like an off-shore school). the word osteopathic is not in the uhs name either, or in midwestern u, or western u, or msu, or at still u...so though i'm sure some people will get their panties in a twist over this I don't see why. it seems as though they are starting a new college/grad school(research focus, ms, phd programs.., which is great for the school, community, and profession) within the university called the college of biosciences. I'm sure that the medical school is still going to be called the college of osteopathic medicine.

3. Doctor Peloncito

Doctor Peloncito Family Physician
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    People, as far as I can tell, they changed the name of the University (not that it ever should have been called a university with only one degree program). The name of the college should remain the same. If you recall, University of Health Sciences doesn't have the word Osteopathic in it either.

Here is the letter from Pletz:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Robz

Robz La Vie Boheme
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think it sounds much better....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Idiopathic

Idiopathic Newly Minted
    Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    OSU changes their name this year. No longer OSU-COM, it is now OSU-Center for Health Sciences.

6. AnnaMags

AnnaMags Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I just wanted to agree that the current official name of the school is The University of Health Sciences. We always tack on College of Osteopathic Medicine and we will still have a College of Osteopathic Medicine located at this school. I'm so excited that everyone will know where the school is located now! And again, as stated before, this is a good thing for the profession. We deserve to expand. The school is a part of a large research consortium and deserves to have a name to represent all that is going on. It will be a bit of a tough transition, but a good one in the end.

7. Doctor Peloncito

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Here's the latest from President Pletz, it basically reiterates what I've been saying all along:

8. Doctor Peloncito

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    for those who didn't see it already, bump.