• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

minime

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2001
london
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Effective July 1 the University of Health Sciences-College of Osteopathic Medicine will be Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences.

Notice that "osteopathic" isn't included in the name. I personally think the change is good, although I don't know how it will affect us when we match since no one will know what it is. Any thoughts?

bigmuny

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2003
Los Angeles
Visit site
Status
I think the name sounds a hell of a lot better than "the university of health sciences" which to me sounds sort of generic and kind of sketchy(sounds like an off-shore school). the word osteopathic is not in the uhs name either, or in midwestern u, or western u, or msu, or at still u...so though i'm sure some people will get their panties in a twist over this I don't see why. it seems as though they are starting a new college/grad school(research focus, ms, phd programs.., which is great for the school, community, and profession) within the university called the college of biosciences. I'm sure that the medical school is still going to be called the college of osteopathic medicine.

Doctor Peloncito

Family Physician
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2002
California
Status
Attending Physician
minime said:
Effective July 1 the University of Health Sciences-College of Osteopathic Medicine will be Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences.

Notice that "osteopathic" isn't included in the name. I personally think the change is good, although I don't know how it will affect us when we match since no one will know what it is. Any thoughts?
People, as far as I can tell, they changed the name of the University (not that it ever should have been called a university with only one degree program). The name of the college should remain the same. If you recall, University of Health Sciences doesn't have the word Osteopathic in it either.

Here is the letter from Pletz:

To: Faculty, Staff and Students

Today, April 20, 2004, at the Annual Meeting of the Board of Trustees of The University of Health Sciences, it was unanimously resolved to rename the institution to reflect a new, broader mission in education and research.

A new College of Biosciences will offer its first track in Fall, 2005, a Masters level degree program in Biomedical Sciences, to be followed by three additional tracks and a Ph.D. program by 2008.

Effective July 1, The University of Health Sciences will become Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences.

The new name has energy and a dynamic posture. It reflects the leading strength of the medical school, and the broadening of our research and educational mission in the Biosciences. It defines our location, marking the Kansas City history of the institution, and it is distinctive, strongly defining our mission for the future.

The next weeks and months will be meaningful and exciting, as we begin the rollout of the new name, built upon a solid foundation in our communities.

Many more details will be headed your way, but we wanted to be certain that you heard immediately and officially.

Karen L. Pletz, J.D.
President and Chief Executive Officer
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences

About the Ads

Robz

La Vie Boheme
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2003
Drinking Texas Tea
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think it sounds much better....

Idiopathic

Newly Minted
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2003
Here
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
OSU changes their name this year. No longer OSU-COM, it is now OSU-Center for Health Sciences.

AnnaMags

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2001
Kansas City
Visit site
Status
I just wanted to agree that the current official name of the school is The University of Health Sciences. We always tack on College of Osteopathic Medicine and we will still have a College of Osteopathic Medicine located at this school. I'm so excited that everyone will know where the school is located now! And again, as stated before, this is a good thing for the profession. We deserve to expand. The school is a part of a large research consortium and deserves to have a name to represent all that is going on. It will be a bit of a tough transition, but a good one in the end.

Doctor Peloncito

Family Physician
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2002
California
Status
Attending Physician
Here's the latest from President Pletz, it basically reiterates what I've been saying all along:

To Faculty, Staff and Students:

We look very forward to meeting early next week on Monday with students and on Tuesday at the Associates meeting to share the highlights of our Annual Report, information about the College of Osteopathic Medicine and about the new College of Biosciences, as well as additional information about the University name change. Most importantly, I wish to personally thank so many of you who wrote to respond enthusiastically to the news of the new University name and the addition of the College of Biosciences, as well as to express your pride and love for the school.

As we prepare for the weeks and months ahead, I wanted to take this opportunity to share a few key pieces of additional information.

- Since 1980, the legal name of the school has been The University of Health Sciences. The College of Osteopathic Medicine was the single college within the University organizational structure. Because the College of Osteopathic Medicine was the only college under the University umbrella, the school was variously referred to as The University of Health Sciences, UHS, or, commonly, UHS-COM.

- In 1980, at the time the University was created, an additional College of Nursing was contemplated, which never came to fruition. Hence, we had a University structure and name, with one College. By definition, a University structure contains multiple colleges such as The University of Missouri, with Colleges of Arts and Sciences, Education, Medicine, Law, etc.

- In a University structure, when referring to any one of the colleges, one would first refer to the University name, followed by the specific college. For example, The University of Missouri College of Education, or The University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine.

- With the name change effective July 1, 2004, the College of Osteopathic Medicine remains constant. It will be the leading college, central to the University's mission, and the strength of its leadership in medical education is reflected even more fully in the new name. "Health Sciences" does not encompass the greater breadth and depth of medicine, nor does it encompass the biomedical research being conducted at the University. It likewise is not descriptive of the new programs in Biosciences. Osteopathic Medicine will continue to be the heart of our education, and the principles of our Osteopathic heritage will guide our institution.

- The appropriate reference to the College of Osteopathic Medicine under the new name remains as it was under the old name; Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences College of Osteopathic Medicine, or KCUMB-COM. The appropriate reference to the College of Biosciences under the new name is Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences College of Biosciences, or KCUMB-CB.

- The new University name has several key strengths:
1) It identifies our location: Kansas City.
2) It clarifies that medicine, not "health sciences" is the essence of our education and related research; and,
3) Its specificity strengthen our ability to obtain research funding, and other grant funding.
4) It distinguishes us from fully five universities with Osteopathic colleges, using the same or a very similar name. Notable among these is A.T. Still University of Health Sciences, which encompasses The Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine. Sixteen of the twenty Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine across the country are Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine within a University structure, as we are. In that structure, the University name is the school name, and the College of Osteopathic Medicine is a college within that structure, as our is.

In summary, the essence of any entity is its heritage, and its people. Deep roots, as well as a dynamic focus on the future, drive leadership and accomplishment. Many of you responded to the initial announcement with the same thoughts. You also mentioned pride, in the growth and vitality of the school and in positive change.

Thank you so very much for that truth and positive energy. It means a great deal to all of us who work very hard every day to make the school the best that it can be.

I look forward to visiting personally with you in the weeks and months ahead.

Sincerely,
Karen L. Pletz
President and Chief Executive Officer

Doctor Peloncito

Family Physician
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2002
California
Status
Attending Physician
for those who didn't see it already, bump.

About the Ads