UHS Class 2006 part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
any canadians in here?

Members don't see this ad.

doctordes said:
Fingerstick,
My rent ran me about 660/mo in Fort Myers for a 2-bedroom last year.

Student Doctor Morrissey,
All I have to say to you are a mean little man. Calling me out as a "hussey" is not only ridiculous, but inaccurate because you know I prefer the term "harlet." Moreover, I am appalled and offended at your lack of knowledge in reference to my "fellowship" on Independence. You know perfectly well I can't apply to fellowships in my PGY-1 year. What am amateur mud-slinger. :)

Hey Bama!
You know, I actually have been getting some really exciting interviews lately. I sent out both Peds and OB/Gyn but am sold on OB/Gyn. The Peds Interviews I had are from Texas A&M, UT Galveston, UT San Antonio, U New Mexico, UT Houston, Cleveland Clinic, USF, KU, and CHOP. So, it has been really encouraging...if I wanted to stick with Peds!
I've got about 3 interviews from OB/Gyn programs mostly in the midwest. It's so much fun to hear everyone's choices and interview invites, so keep them coming.

Except you, Morrissey - you are so in the class of 2007.

Des:)

Hey Des,

Hope you are well. Hey, I'm applying Med-Peds and I noticed we have 2 or 3 common interview places........ UT-Galveston , which for all practical purposes I cancelled. Have you been there yet? and USF. I'd be particularly interested if you've interviewed there yet (USF) and what you think. Seems as though I recall you did 3rd and 4th? year in Ft Myers area....anyway I'd be interested in what you think. And even though I'm not Bama Alum, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......... (hmmmm.......don't know if I'll rank this program) and am from Alabama so maybe this warrants a response.

Thanks.
Carpe (Kevin N. )

Just wanted to let ya'll know that our class did very well so far in the military match. At this point we have a 2 psychiatrists, 2 orthopods, a Hawian pediatritian, a neurologist, several internists, a flight doc, and me...the pimple popper!
I will be moving back to my hometown.
We are still waiting to hear from several people, but everyone is getting their #1 or #2 selection so far.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whoah...add 2 radiologists in San Antonio...and another Hawaiian internist!

CONGRATULATIONS! To everyone & you too L.! Pimple Popper MD haha. Good for you. :clap: I forgot today was the millitary match.

Does anyone know what our graduation date is?

May 21st, 2006... I am counting the days!!! The "general" is working very hard to set up the whole grad week & everything, so plan to be here the whole week prior. By the way Dr. Mary C, how is the residency/interview process going for you and all the other 2006-ers
Update us!

EUROdocMOM said:
May 21st, 2006... I am counting the days!!! The "general" is working very hard to set up the whole grad week & everything, so plan to be here the whole week prior. By the way Dr. Mary C, how is the residency/interview process going for you and all the other 2006-ers
Update us!

General Surgery baby! Dream's about to come true. I've got a few programs that want to "rank me highly". :D

EUROdocMOM said:
Update us!

Congrats to everyone who has already matched! Big Steve, the dermatologist. Way to go!! I have started to think about dermpath recently. I guess we'll see a couple of years down the road, those fellowships are pretty hard to get since they take pathologists and dermatologists. I am still on the interview trail. It is starting to wear me down a little. I have done 8 interviews and I have 3 to go. I have a couple of favorites, but most of the programs give you little feedback regarding your chances. I am just going to tell my top choices I like them and let the match work itself out. Can't wait to see everyone in May!! Hey Big Steve, can you e-mail us a military match list?

There's the BAMA! 8 interviews already, yikes. I actually did 1 civilian interview at KU. They were really nice, but I can see where traveling around the country, answering the "questions", touring the hospitals, and hearing why their program is so amazing would get old after a while.
I can't believe I am going to Walter Reed (yes, it is still there, just moving to Bethesda, MD). They have awesome dermpath there. I will spend 8 weeks at AFIP. There are only 2 derm trained dermatopathologists in the entire Army right now, and 1 is departing in the next 6 mos. I am the most nervous about learning all of the path.
As soon as I hear from everyone, I will send out a match list for our class.
So, what are you guys going to make your rank order selections based on? What do you think the most important feature of a program is?

EUROdocMOM said:
There's the BAMA! 8 interviews already, yikes. I actually did 1 civilian interview at KU. They were really nice, but I can see where traveling around the country, answering the "questions", touring the hospitals, and hearing why their program is so amazing would get old after a while.
I can't believe I am going to Walter Reed (yes, it is still there, just moving to Bethesda, MD). They have awesome dermpath there. I will spend 8 weeks at AFIP. There are only 2 derm trained dermatopathologists in the entire Army right now, and 1 is departing in the next 6 mos. I am the most nervous about learning all of the path.
As soon as I hear from everyone, I will send out a match list for our class.
So, what are you guys going to make your rank order selections based on? What do you think the most important feature of a program is?

Well, obviously location is a factor. The majority of my interviews are in the Southeast, with a few in other regions. I also pay attention to how happy the residents seem to be and how they get along with the faculty. This is crucial in path unlike some other specialties, b/c you are working one on one with the faculty everyday signing out cases and if they don't like teaching residents you are screwed. Another often overlooked factor is perks. For instance one place I am considering, Vandy, has a valet service for the residents where they will pick up your laundry, have your car serviced or just about anything else you can imagine while you are at work. The residents said that about the only thing they won't do is take your dog to the vet. That is a pretty big perk if you ask me. I also look at the book fund. For pathology this is a huge thing, because you have to do so much reading outside of the service work. Of course the specimen volume is a big issue in path as well. You have to look at a lot of glass to learn it. I also ask about Board pass rate b/c Path boards are notoriously tricky and difficult. I also ask about work hours, b/c if a path program is approaching surgery-like hours then they probably don't have enough residents to get the work done. So, there are a lot of factors to consider. I just hope I land at one of my top two choices. :)

BamaAlum said:
Vandy, has a valet service for the residents where they will pick up your laundry, have your car serviced or just about anything else you can imagine while you are at work. The residents said that about the only thing they won't do is take your dog to the vet.:)

Is that only for the Path residents at Vandy? I am interviewing there in Jan for Ob/Gyn. Man that would definately be a peak for me :D . I can't wait to be done with interviews, I have 5 more scheduled but not sure how much more I can take. Hope that eveyone is doing well and traveling safe.

Flea girl said:
Is that only for the Path residents at Vandy? I am interviewing there in Jan for Ob/Gyn. Man that would definately be a peak for me :D . I can't wait to be done with interviews, I have 5 more scheduled but not sure how much more I can take. Hope that eveyone is doing well and traveling safe.

Nope, it is a service for all of the residents. It is called Vanderbilt Valet and I haven't seen anything like it anywhere else. I'm sure OB is awesome at Vandy as well.

Merry Christmas!! Hope that everyone is having a great holiday and getting to watch The Christmas Story 500 times :laugh: .

What up my Homies??!!!!

Congrats to all you military docs out there on your matches! I am sure you are glad to get that out of the way! And good luck to everyone else who still has to do those interviews. Be sure to keep us updated on how everything goes.

Things are going decent here in the Land of Milk and Honey. Just got back from a two week Christmas break (perk of being semi-facutly). Break was good.....I worked at my old hospital.....so I got in on a lot of surgery (bowel resection, LATVH, Tonsils, did four solo colonoscopies, and put in a PEG tube), oh and I delivered a baby. So break was good for me.

I am so ready to get back out there in rotation world. This fellowship has been great, but it is very slow. It will start getting busy for me again, once the first years are back in the anatomy lab.

I get done in June, will do ER for the first two weeks of July, take step 2 at the end of July, then off to do surgery! Will probably go to Philly, Des Moines, Columbus for my first three. After that, not sure. Will do the PE in August. Oh, and I am going to do a few Triathlons this summer, with the first one being in June.....so that will keep me busy as well.

OK, I know no one gives a rat's a*% about anything I said, especially Dr. Des, so I will shut my cake hole!!!!

Peace out!!!!! And remember, once you've had Asian, you will never want Caucasian!!!!

-C

Okay...trauma surgeon? Did I hear that correctly? Or should I say colorectally Mr. colonoscopy man!
I thought you were a rural family practice guy? Gettin' all proficient at the OPP, baby delivery, and all!
Well, what can I say. Good luck with that. Somebody's got to do it!

It's time to revive this thread just in time for the match. I matched somewhere thankfully, and will found out exactly where on Thursday. Those of you who have already matched post that sucka' on here so we can collectively bask in your glory. That means you Big Steve!! Only a few more weeks and we all will be finished with our UHS (KCUMB) journey. Hard to believe it has been 4 years!

Okay, I saw some of the list Annamags has e-mailed, but where did everyone else match????
I am on a quick housing search in DC right now. Looking at 1/2 mil $$ houses. This is REDICULOUS!!!!! I can't afford anything here. My commute to work is looking like 1 hour each way on a good day.
We still don't know what we are doing (buy vs. rent) after 3 days!!!
I wanna go back to the midwest!!! Get me outta here!
Okay lets hear about the future plans for everyone else!

EUROdocMOM said:
Okay, I saw some of the list Annamags has e-mailed, but where did everyone else match????
I am on a quick housing search in DC right now. Looking at 1/2 mil $$ houses. This is REDICULOUS!!!!! I can't afford anything here. My commute to work is looking like 1 hour each way on a good day.
We still don't know what we are doing (buy vs. rent) after 3 days!!!
I wanna go back to the midwest!!! Get me outta here!
Okay lets hear about the future plans for everyone else!

Going back home to UAB for Pathology. I am pretty excited. They have a brand new hospital with state of the art surgical pathology facilities. They even have televideo systems in the OR so the surgeons can see the frozen section specimens in the pathology lab via video while they are still scrubbed in. It is one of the better Path programs in the South, so i am pretty psyched!! Where's everyone else? Des?? Bueller? Bueller?

Status
Not open for further replies.