UHS or DMU??Help!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Insight

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have been accepted at both UHS and DMU for class of 2008. I'm having a hard time figuring out which one to go for. (I'm losing my mind, going round in circles) :scared: :confused: :scared: :( :confused: :scared:
One solid point of debate for me is- UHS has a residency program that I may be interested in. DMU does not have any residency programs.
Also, at UHS the international rotations are more organiized. I may be interested in that down the road also.
Another factor is- I like the location and environ that DMU is in, UHS is a big building but somehow the locaiton isn't all that pleasing. Plus DMU students seemed more friendly and happier that UHS (atleast that day)
So ppl sway me to either side. I'm realy freaking out about this!
Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

JKDMed said:
How do you feel about getting shot on your way to school? UHS is in Kansas City right? That place is a ****hole.

Thanks for your KIND reply JKMed!
I've lived in places in worse neighbourhoods. So I will be OK in terms of safety issues.

My major priority in this decision is quality education and future oppurtunities.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, only you can truly decide what is more important for you. Can you sacrifice location for an education that you THINK fits you and your goals better?

Do you THINK you would preform better at a place you felt more comfortable?

I am choosing my school based on how comfortable I felt there, how I was treated, and being able to picture myself living in that particular community. Curriculum and opportunities to broaden my outlook and experiences also plays an important factor (which would include being able to go on medical missions as well as daily life experiences).

I also am concerned with rotations and residencies as well but I need to further investigate those for the schools from which I am trying to pick.

So in essence, I have no experience with DMU nor UHS, but look really at where you'd be happiest...What you make of your education is what you put into it.

Good Luck! :luck:

JKDMed said:
How do you feel about getting shot on your way to school? UHS is in Kansas City right? That place is a ****hole.

This statement is not entirely false. The neighborhood surrounding UHS sucks, but I think that our campus is pretty nice. I am not a huge fan of Kansas City, but that is probably because I am from the South and I am used to southern cities. Anyway, you only have to be in KC for two years if you want. I myself am leaving for sunny Ft. Myers, FL to do my rotations in a few months so it worked out for me. I haven't had any concerns with safety, yet.

BamaAlum said:
This statement is not entirely false. The neighborhood surrounding UHS sucks, but I think that our campus is pretty nice. I am not a huge fan of Kansas City, but that is probably because I am from the South and I am used to southern cities. Anyway, you only have to be in KC for two years if you want. I myself am leaving for sunny Ft. Myers, FL to do my rotations in a few months so it worked out for me. I haven't had any concerns with safety, yet.

Thank u all!

Another thing to think of is which of these 2 places has better clinical rotation hook-ups.I've heard it said that DMU relies on volunteer sites only vs DMU paying them to have their students rotate there. Or else you end up looking for places to rotate that you think are good.

So now the question becomes, is UHS rotation experience (both process of matching and the sites themselves) better than DMU?

I also plan to move somewhere south after my first two years are done! So I am hoping whichever school I choose to go would help me in picking those sites based on their pre-existing connections there.

Thanks again for your comments.

I was in the same position 6 years ago and I chose UHS. Both are great schools but UHS did a great job and the campus itself is great...today it is FAR better than it was in 98...it really ain't bad at all. JKDMed is a naysayer...None of the med schools in KC are in great locations (KU isn't bad, good cafes nearby), so it is all about perspective. I will say that I spent my 3rd year in St. Louis and 4th in Indy for my rotations...so spending your first two years on The Paseo isn't that big of a deal.
I don't really think I could live in Des Moines anyway.

DocWagner said:
I was in the same position 6 years ago and I chose UHS. Both are great schools but UHS did a great job and the campus itself is great...today it is FAR better than it was in 98...it really ain't bad at all. JKDMed is a naysayer...None of the med schools in KC are in great locations (KU isn't bad, good cafes nearby), so it is all about perspective. I will say that I spent my 3rd year in St. Louis and 4th in Indy for my rotations...so spending your first two years on The Paseo isn't that big of a deal.
I don't really think I could live in Des Moines anyway.

thanks DocWagner!
so u mean if i'd like i can move to florida for my 3rd and 4th year!i read on the website somewhere that they have core sites in FL.

another thing, i need to take an online class for biochem this summer, if i want to attend UHS.i'm not too keen on doing that.but i would certainly do it if UHS is the best place for me to go to!
i don't want to live to regret it!

Insight:

I would say that taking BioChem is a smart way to go, wherever you're going to attend. It might not be the easiest class, and it will take alot of work (I'm taking online biochem right now), but I've heard from numerous med students that there is alot of biochem in med school, and it would be in your full advantage to take the course and get some background before med school.

Good luck.

Insight said:
thanks DocWagner!
so u mean if i'd like i can move to florida for my 3rd and 4th year!i read on the website somewhere that they have core sites in FL.

another thing, i need to take an online class for biochem this summer, if i want to attend UHS.i'm not too keen on doing that.but i would certainly do it if UHS is the best place for me to go to!
i don't want to live to regret it!

Yes, it is possible to do your rotations in Florida. We currently have two core sites, one in St. Petersburg (which is also a site for KCOM students) and one in Ft. Myers (which is also a site for NOVA students). Assignment to a rotation site is done by a lottery system. You rank your top three choices and a computer randomly matches you. The popularity for sites varies from year to year, but Florida is usually pretty popular. The Ft. Myers site has slowly but surely been expanding and this year we are sending 11 students down there. I think about 88% or so of our class got their first choice and less than 10 people didn't match at all the first time around.

DocRadak, thanks for ur advice. Which online course are you taking?How long is it?I'm thinking of taking the one offered by UNE.I just hope that I'll be done in time.I'm not sure exactly when I need to be done with it though..I'm thinking anytime before I start classes at UHS.If I'm wrong someone plz correct me.

BamaAlum, thanks for the info about the matching process.I was checking out the AOA Oppurtunities list for residency sites. I see that St Pete on the list but nothing about Ft Myers.Do you know the name of the hospital and do you know if they have any IM residencies there?Also do you think more sites in FL may be opening up in the next 2 years?

A question to everyone in general- do DO students have to do ALL their rotations at AOA rotation sites or can they do some at MD sites as well.Since I will be applying for both MD and DO residencies in IM (yes, I am ready to take both boards), is it possible for me to do some rotations in MD sites as well, especially if I am interested in applying for their residency program???????????

I can't believe there is no one out there to side for DMU!!C'mon ppl!

There are no AOA or ACGME residencies in Ft. Myers. The base hospital is Gulf Coast Hospital but we are credentialed at 6 hospitals in the Ft. Myers area. To answer your question about rotations, yes you can do 4th year elective rotations at ACGME (M.D.) hospitals. You will have to do your core rotations at your designated site. Depending on the site it may or may not be AOA accredited.

DMU: better OMM, better neighborhood, friendlier townfolk in Des Moines, and even though UHS has friendly students and staff, DMU's friendliness surpasses them.

DMU: DMU does have core rotations in Ohio that are set-up on a permanent basis, and (as far as I understand it) they do have relationships with hospitals in Iowa and other states.

I chose DMU because they have many students who rotate thru MI sites. Since I am a native Michigander that was a big plus for me. I, hopefully, will be spending my first two years in Des Moines, and then my third and fourth back in MI.

I was also amazed by the "let's do this together" attitude that I got off of many of the students there. I also loved the friendliness of the faculty and staff!

Tell me if I am wrong, but doesn't DMU have friday off? Not that it is a huge factor in this decision. Just btw.

As much sense that I can make of this, it seems for me Des Moines is more of a 'personal feeling' decision. some thigns about the place...students seem happier, friendlier, and everyone seems easily accessible and ready to help..more of a sense of community, are very attractive.

UHS on the other hand has all the practical reasons for me to want to go there-(Not to say that people are any less friendly, or a lesser sense of community)-
1. more probability of me doing my rotations in FL since they have 3 core sites in FL vs just one for DMU
2. their IM residency program can be a good back-up plan for me.I like having back-ups! :D
3. i'd like to try one of those international rotations.ie if only i have the time and energy for it at that point.it's all set at UHS vs still just an idea (correct me if I'm wrong) at DMU.

So now I JUST have to decide if I want to follow my heart or my head!As simple as that! :D

Thank u all for all ur replies!You have all given me a lot of food for thought!

Insight said:
Tell me if I am wrong, but doesn't DMU have friday off? Not that it is a huge factor in this decision. Just btw

Um, no, we have classes on Fridays regularly. I think somebody in the class above me will be doing one or more rotations in Canada, but that is their country of citizenship, so that probably had something to do with it.

Good luck with your decision! :)

Be a superstar, go to UHS and do the four year -DO/-MBA.

Apparently, UHS (like DMU), has agreed to change its name...

to Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences

DocWagner is right. We were informed today of the name change. They also will be starting a master's degree program in fall 2005 and a PhD. program in 2008. I guess the name change is to reflect UHS, sorry, KCUMB's new emphasis on research.

DocWagner said:
Apparently, UHS (like DMU), has agreed to change its name...

to Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences

This sounds like a much better name to me.

DocRadak said:
Insight:

I would say that taking BioChem is a smart way to go, wherever you're going to attend. It might not be the easiest class, and it will take alot of work (I'm taking online biochem right now), but I've heard from numerous med students that there is alot of biochem in med school, and it would be in your full advantage to take the course and get some background before med school.

Good luck.

I am currently a second year at DMU and we had a biochem course as our first full course. It was not necessary to have any background in biochem since they start from the bottom. I've heard that UHS does not have a formal biochem class, that they just scratch the surface on some biochem subjects in various classes/systems. Good Luck!