UHS or UOMHS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raz

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a really important decision that I've been mulling over forever. I've been accepted to both UHS and UOMHS in Iowa, and I am trying to get any feedback on which one is the better school. I need to make up my mind very very very soon (within the next day or two), so any advice would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Raz- I, too, had to make that decision. It really helps to make a Pro/Con list for each school, and then go down the lists and look at every factor. Here's a couple thoughts:

UOMHS - Des Moines was a great city, and the school was in a nice suburb. The school itself was a little old, but kept up. It kind of reminded me of my high school. I loved the faculty and students, especially those I interviewed with, and the sudents didn't seem to be very competitive. The one negative I had about this school was the clinical rotation time. I know they are working on it, but currently, the 3rd and 4th years are scheduled by each student. Meaning, the student has to go and find rotation sites and set them up.

UHS - I may be a bit biased towards this school, this is the one I chose, but I did choose it for the following reasons. This school had the largest interview group that I interviewed with. Yet I felt like they really wanted "Me" to go there. They really rolled out the red carpet. This is trivial, but they even send you a video of the school, along with info papers, after you decide to go there. This was just a great touch, and one of the many little things they do for you that I haven't seen other schools do. The admin staff was great, along with all of the students. I was very impressed with all of the facilities, especially the anat lab. Kansas City was also a factor. I need some outlet for stress, and I like bigger cities. Many of the students I met seemed to manage to fit in a social life outside of med school, and Kansas City is a great city to socialize in. The rotation sites are great for me. They are set up already, and they have two near my hometown in FL. It's nice to be at rotation sites were there is a UHS faculty member there in case there are any problems or concerns. I have had a couple problems with one of the requirements, and my advisor and admin counselor went way out of their way to help me. If this is any indication of how I will be treated when I'm a student, I know that it's going to be a great 4 years.

Honestly, you have to do what is best for YOU. See which one "just feels right" and where you know you will be happy and receive a great education. Hope this may help a bit.

Good luck!

------------------
Sara
UHS Class of 2004

I spoke to a first year student at UOMHS who was very unhappy. One of his chief complaints was that the class schedule was not a "fluent" schedule. He said that he might meet for biochem for several days in one week and not meet again for that class for over a week. Most of his classes were scheduled similarly--very irregularly!

Maybe others (UOMHS students) have comments that can substantiate or refute this.

[This message has been edited by bri1856 (edited 12-08-1999).]

Members don't see this ad :)
I would also like to know any other information about UOHMS. I am only a sophomore at the University of Iowa, but I am interested in UOHMS. Any information would be great: admissions, classes, fauclty, rotations, etc. Thanks in advance.

Go Hawkeyes

Hi,
I am a fourth year from UOMHS. I will be as unbiased as I can be. First of all the first two years at UOMHS are very good. In the first year you take all your basic science and it is very stressful. For example my girlfriend goes to the university of Iowa and my best friend attends the university of Kansas and at UOMHS you take all the classes that they take in two years in one. The second year you have a system approach, for example you would study the cardiovascular system and incorporate micro, pharm, histology, etc..
The third and fourth years are a little different. The school sets up a four month rotation at an affiliated hoptial, and a four month family medicine rotation. The rest you have to set up and it is the same way at KC.
Our school is undergoing major changes. Our president, Dr. Ryan used to be a dean at Tuffs and Harvard. He is great! The talk is that our school will soon be affiliated with the largest hospital in Iowa, Mercy in Des Moines.
Now I am doing many of my rotations at Henry Ford hospital in Detroit. This hospital has over 900 beds and is ranked 6th in the number of research dollers received each year. You are more than wellcome to do almost all your rotations at hospitals like this in your third and fourth years after your core rotations are over.
Also the school is diving head first into research. Look for it on our web site www.uomhs.edu. They are planning construction of a new building to replace some of the older ones. You should take a look at the video online www.uomhs.edu/about/index.htm
In deciding between KC and Des Moines. That is up to you!
If you have any questions "[email protected]"

Although I'm not going to your school, I'm glad to hear that you've got such a prestigious dean. It's great to hear that osteopathic schools are attracting talent from the best schools in the nation. And it only helps to strengthen our claims to legitimacy in the eyes of all of our allopathic counterparts and the public-at-large.