uhs rotation sites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigmuny

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Can any current or former uhs students tell me about the 3rd year core sites for uhs students. I can't find a list of hospital locations/names.
thank you

Members don't see this ad.

UHS used to have direct link to their core sites, but for some reason it has been disabled. I would imagine this is because every year it changes a bit. Here is the link they had on the site previously- for the most part it won't change.

http://www.uhs.edu/academics/cce/coresites.asp

I can only comment on the Florida sites, which are quite good. I am in Ft. Myers which has a fair amount of hands-on experience, I was able to be first assist on 90% of sx, participate in cardiac catherizations, perform colonoscopies and EGD's, and even perform an appendectomy! Everyone here passed board with no problems and have gotten into their top choice for residencies. The learning curve is more rapid here because you are expected to jump in from day one writing orders and performing examinations.

Diane

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your replies, that helps alot. I have a late interview(end of may), and I am interested in seeing what the school has to offer. The first two years at uhs seem very strong, and I wanted to see what they have going on for clinical years. How do you get slotted into your clinincal site? Is it possible/likely to do all your 3rd year at one site? I don't mind moving, but I don't want to be in FL one month, then NY, ect.... Also does anyone know if the class is full. Am I interviewing for the waitlist at this stage of the game?
Thank You

I can't comment on the rotation sites, but I think you have a fair shot at admission even considering the late interview date. Typically UHS only interviews applicants who they are very serious about. So unless the class has already filled, then I think you have a good chance of still being accepted.

Good luck on your interview, and if you don't get accepted, be sure to apply really early for the next cycle.

Rotation sites are determined in your 2nd year, usually by mid-December. It is done on a lottery system. You pick your 3 top choices for locations and then if they pick your name first, you get your first choice (yeah!!). If your first choice is gone by the time they draw your name, you get your second choice, and so on...
This year 75% of the 2nd years landed their first choice (out of a class size of 250). I believe only 10% did not match at all, but don't hold me to this number. If you don't match you go through the lottery process again with the other students who didn't match, and you choose from the sites that are left.

I understand that it is wise to not choose all of your sites that only have 2-3 students per site, or sites that are extremely popular like Kansas City or Florida. So it might be best to choose one "popular" site and 2 other sites that are good, but also easy to get into (statistically speaking) because they take more students (like Ohio or Detroit).

You can do all of your rotations at one site if you wish. I think most students try to do at least one elective at another location, just for the experience or maybe because another location will have a specialty they are looking at going into. I really think UHS has a great lotto system compared to some other schools. Some schools have students scrambling for rotations, which might end up at a less than desirable spot.

I can't comment on if the class of 2007 is full- best to call admissions and ask them directly. They did a bunch of interviews today, so I have to imagine they are still filling spots.
Good luck.
;)

Thank you both for the info, i appreciate it. i am looking forward to seeing the school, it seems like a great place.

Check out the class of 2005 webpage...I have all the sites listed with all of the information about the sites with links to thier webpages

www.uhs2005.com

click on rotations sites

good luck

thank you for the info. the class website is great, and really looks sharp.