Uic 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ixitixl

Step 1 studysaurus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just want to know who my future classmates are. Anyone going who's from out of state?

Members don't see this ad.

I am pretty sure I'll be at UIC. I loved it there when I interviewed.

Originally posted by bokermmk
I am pretty sure I'll be at UIC. I loved it there when I interviewed.

Nice. Which campus? Are you in/out of state?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm definitely going to UIC next year. I am in state, but I go to school out of state right now. It was actually my first choice if you can believe that, I know that is not true for a lot of people who end up there, but I'm sure their eventually be happy with the school in the end.

Aside from my own state school, it was my top choice too. I just wish it weren't so expensive for out-of-staters.

I dont think its hard to believe its your top choice. I have had 4 acceptances and UIC is definately my top choice. I hope most of our classmates go in with the attitude that they are at a second rate school. toomuch what campus are you at. i am at chicago

I dont think its hard to believe its your top choice. I have had 4 acceptances and UIC is definately my top choice. I hope most of our classmates go in with the attitude that they are at a second rate school. toomuch what campus are you at. i am at chicago

Are you kidding? I'm totally going in with the impression that it's a first class school. I'm also at the Chicago campus.

whooops. i completely mistyped. i meant i hope students DONT go in with the additude that it is a second rate school. cuz it certainly is not. IX - are you living in the dorms?

whooops. i completely mistyped. i meant i hope students DONT go in with the additude that it is a second rate school. cuz it certainly is not. IX - are you living in the dorms?

I have no clue what I'm doing yet. As a matter of fact, I've only been to Chicago once in my entire life. I was thinking about getting a mortgage on a house so that my rent money from financial aid doesn't go down the drain. If I have to borrow 250K from the school over the course of 4 years I can pay a chunk of it back when I graduate by selling the house. I'm going to try to get a small size house and rent out a room for maybe 300/month to help cover costs. I didn't actually know that living in the dorms was an option for med school students. If it's cheap, I might look into it.

anybody on the urbana-peoria track?

ixitixl-i've been thinking of doing the same thing for my residency years... from my experience in chicago, though, $300 rent is virtually non-existant and finding a decent house under $200,000 is iffy unless you wouldn't mind a commute... chicago is an awesome city, though... i'm a little disappointed i didn't get a spot there... i really miss it..

hey ixitixl...nice to see you made a decision :)

good luck.

Hey guys,

I'm going to be at the chicago campus. I was looking into the dorm/apartments because I don't know too many people in Chicago yet, except people I'm related to that don't live anywhere near campus. I don't think I could take on the hassle of buying a house. I'll pretty much be living off of loans and I think $500/mo is the max allocation for rent in the FA package. Even if I could afford a mortgage for an ok house, the extra 300 a month for property tax would leave me high and dry. I tip my hat to anyone who can do it. No savings here. I'm just trying to save enough now to move to chicago. I'm thinking around $3000 to move and give me peace of mind in case my first FA check doesn't come in til September. Campus housing is nice because you get all the anemities(gas, internet, etc.) set up beforehand and they'll usually credit it until your financial aid comes in. Big decision.

I'll be a first year at the dental school next year...and may need a roomate or two. What areas are you guys looking into for housing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by jlee9531
hey ixitixl...nice to see you made a decision :)

good luck.

Thanks jlee! Congrats again on being able to stay in beautiful California.

Originally posted by toomuch
Hey guys,

I'm going to be at the chicago campus. I was looking into the dorm/apartments because I don't know too many people in Chicago yet, except people I'm related to that don't live anywhere near campus. I don't think I could take on the hassle of buying a house. I'll pretty much be living off of loans and I think $500/mo is the max allocation for rent in the FA package. Even if I could afford a mortgage for an ok house, the extra 300 a month for property tax would leave me high and dry. I tip my hat to anyone who can do it. No savings here. I'm just trying to save enough now to move to chicago. I'm thinking around $3000 to move and give me peace of mind in case my first FA check doesn't come in til September. Campus housing is nice because you get all the anemities(gas, internet, etc.) set up beforehand and they'll usually credit it until your financial aid comes in. Big decision.

Yeah. I noticed things don't seem to work in Chicago quite the way they do in Seattle. Maybe I'm better off renting a small 5ft x 10ft parking space and setting up a cardboard box. Do you think they'd let me do that?

I guess I probably need to take another look at the housing situation in Chicago. I've been there all of once in my entire life and that was for my interview.

Originally posted by ixitixl
Yeah. I noticed things don't seem to work in Chicago quite the way they do in Seattle. Maybe I'm better off renting a small 5ft x 10ft parking space and setting up a cardboard box. Do you think they'd let me do that?

haha.. i thought about setting up a cardboard box for a while, but i don't think the homeless people would have liked me treading on their turf very much... after graduating, i wanted very much to stay in the chicago area but after not being able to find a decent apartment in my budget (or a job, for that matter), i decided to come home...

i've already sent out my application for uiuc housing..

here's the link for chicago on-campus housing:
http://www.housing.uic.edu/app/

and off-campus:
http://www.housing.uic.edu/offcampus/

so nobody's joining me at UIUC at least??

I might be at Urbana (haven't decided if I want to go...I didn't like Urbana) but I'm MD/PhD so I'll be there all eight years. Weeeeeee...

what about urbana didn't you like?

My impressions have to do with the MD/PhD program (particularly the PhD part and the people I interviewed with...potential classmates). Are you considering MSP? If so, I'll pm you about it...but otherwise it will pretty much be irrelevant.

As for Urbana in general though, I didn't like it. It seemed blah and the campus seemed ugly and bleak. Given it was winter...but I just didn't get a positive vibe. Also, the student body was nowhere as openly friendly as the kids at other schools I had visited.

Hi sunlitdays,

Are you still considering the MSP program at Urbana? I'm in the same boat. I didn't like urbana because it's rather small and not much to do. Also, you have to start on the PhD track then finish the MD. I know at other schools you do two years MD then start of the PhD and late return to finish the last two years of medical school.
I'm also a little confused about the cost. I know during your PhD, you are covered but they weren't too clear about the last three years. It seems like money can be tight, but the students I talked to all said they have not had any problems.
I'm debating whether to do it or just do the MD. At this point, I'm kind of excited about learning anatomy, histology and immunology. Starting with the PhD first would require concentrating in a very specialized area.

I just pm'ed you cakemix.

Sunlitdays,

I just pm'ed you as well.

Where are all of you future UIC med students living next year? Are you living in the grad student dorms, or have you found decent off campus apts? I don't even know where to start looking for apts, not to mention the fact that I have no idea where to find roomates. I was just wondering how everyone else was dealing with the housing situation..

I plan on not worrying about housing until May. It may be a mistake, but I just need to finish school and graduate first.

Hello fellow classmates...I am from out-of-state (but Wisconsin is still close enough) and will be attending UIC this fall as well. I have been assigned to UIC-Urbana (M1) and UIC-Rockford (M2-M4). Does anyone know if these assignments are set in stone? For some reason, I thought I heard that movement between campus occurs from now through May 15 or so. So even though I have been assigned there is still a possibility that I could be moved to Chicago...does anyone now about this? Also I am clueless on housing so far (of course, I'll need to know which campus I will be at, finally). Does anyone know anything about housing at UIC-UC...I suspect I will probably want to live off-campus so I don't get caught up in the undergraduate dormitory pandemonium (noise, drinking, etc. etc. etc.), but I don't know more than that...can anyone advise??
Thanks,
PUZZLEBOX

here you go, puzzlebox... http://www.housing.uiuc.edu/

question: for those of you who consider uic to be one of your top choices, was that before you found out about the possibility of ending up another campus? would you still feel the same way if you had ended up at another campus?

i feel that somehow ending up at a campus other than chicago has made the school seem a little less appealing for me.. i mean, a major part of wanting to go to UIC was the potential for the diverse clinical exposure in the city... now that i'm going to be UC-P, i don't know what to expect in terms of academic quality.. what are your thoughts on this?

Originally posted by Puzzlebox
Hello fellow classmates...I am from out-of-state (but Wisconsin is still close enough) and will be attending UIC this fall as well. I have been assigned to UIC-Urbana (M1) and UIC-Rockford (M2-M4). Does anyone know if these assignments are set in stone? For some reason, I thought I heard that movement between campus occurs from now through May 15 or so. So even though I have been assigned there is still a possibility that I could be moved to Chicago...does anyone now about this? Also I am clueless on housing so far (of course, I'll need to know which campus I will be at, finally). Does anyone know anything about housing at UIC-UC...I suspect I will probably want to live off-campus so I don't get caught up in the undergraduate dormitory pandemonium (noise, drinking, etc. etc. etc.), but I don't know more than that...can anyone advise??
Thanks,
PUZZLEBOX

As an out-of-stater, how are you planning on handling the 55K/year tuition?

There is some movement between campuses although it's pretty limited. A lot of people who get into UI-Chicago tend to stay. From what I hear, most of the waitlist movement for UIC happens with people who are assigned to one of the other campuses.

there is little movement involving the chicago campus. however if you are on the UPR track, there is some switching between students during the first year depending on who becomes friends with who, people change their minds, buy a house, etc. then you can switch among classmates for another site up until the first week of april.

i go to UIUC and i moved here from out of state without a place to live (big mistake, quite stressful!!!). there are many large "luxury" apartment communities that are common at many universities, such as Melrose Apartments or University Commons (run by CapstoneDevelopment). You can lease an individual apartment in one of these and ask to paired to another medical student or law student for a roommate. the rent is reasonable, ethernet, there are "quiet/grad student" buildings, a workout room, etc. not bad, especially if you are only going to be here one year. its a few miles from the med building, but there is a bus that goes directly there.....

i have been looking for other housing in urbana-champaign since my program requires me to stay at this campus. it has been very difficult. housing close to campus is all undergrads and very loud. some of it is a bit shady too....

Originally posted by toomuch
Hey guys,

Hey guys,

I'm currently a first year at UIC COM. As for your money concerns, the financial aid office actually allows you to request additional aid for rent above and beyond what is allocated. I don't remember exactly what the max is but I think it works out to around $900/month or so. You don't need that much to get an affordable (and nice) apartment, though.

If you need more than what's allotted, you can simply contact the financial aid office after you get your award and ask them about additional aid for rent. You can actually request additional aid for many things, including a personal computer!

Also, if you're ok with a short commute, I strongly suggest considering living in one of the north-side neighborhoods! I live in Lincoln Park and love it! I simply take the train to school - only takes a half hour and I can study on the way. And there's so much to do here - it's lots of fun.

Also, I had no problems with financial aid - got my check by electronic transfer by the end of the first week of class for each semester.

If you have other questions, feel free to ask me!

And Congrats!

P.S. A good place to look for apartments is the Chicago Reader (www.Chicagoreader.com.) There's a HUGE selection of apartments all over the city and they usually list the cheapest ones that are the best deals. Also, I highly recommend getting familiar with the El/bus system in Chicago now. Check it out at www.transitchicago.com. There's a train station one block from campus and you can get almost anywhere in the city by CTA!

Hey everybody,

I currently attend UIC Chicago and am an M1. To keep in consideration, the dorms are a great way to meet people, are only 5 minutes from class, and there is a small convenience store, study areas, and a Subway/cafeteria, and most importantly for me, a fitness facility that is all adjacent to the dorms. There is also some reconstruction currently underway over here, and there will be a brand new fitness facility. Some people despise dorm living, but I'm not too picky and had a great time here, and will be staying here next year. Most of my friends ended up being people who also live in the dorms, and a lot of them are sticking around for next year. In addition, if you don't have anybody to live with, housing will pair you up with another first year medical student, which can turn out to be a great thing for some people. If you have any questions feel free to PM, the dorms are not expensive and very safe.

Hope this helps,

FF