UIC Chicago vs Mt. Sinai

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted626464

UIC Chicago
Pros
  • Went to undergrad at UIUC so I have a bunch of friends living in Chicago
  • My girlfriend is currently working in Chicago

Cons
  • Not as highly ranked
  • A bit more expensive (~10k/year)

Mt. Sinai
Pros
  • Better ranked
  • More helpful for matching into better residencies

Cons
  • Moving to a new place and NY feels overwhelming

Summary: Should I go to Mt. Sinai over UIC Chicago because it is a better ranked program or should I stay in Chicago with my friends and girlfriend? I enjoyed my interview days at both schools and the location for both schools are amazing so that is not an issue. I think I want to match into a competitive residency (surgery).

Members don't see this ad.

In no world would I advise someone to pick UIC Chicago over Sinai, let alone with Sinai being even cheaper.

FWIW though, surgery isn't exactly a competitive specialty, I'd say it's pretty reasonable, so you could absolutely get in from UIC if you choose to go there. But still

Reactions: 1 user
Sinai hands down. It's important to break out of your shell and experience a totally different part of the US from where you grew up. It will lead to an important period of growth.

UIC Chicago
Pros
  • Went to undergrad at UIUC so I have a bunch of friends living in Chicago
  • My girlfriend is currently working in Chicago

Cons
  • Not as highly ranked
  • A bit more expensive (~10k/year)

Mt. Sinai
Pros
  • Better ranked
  • More helpful for matching into better residencies

Cons
  • Moving to a new place and NY feels overwhelming

Summary: Should I go to Mt. Sinai over UIC Chicago because it is a better ranked program or should I stay in Chicago with my friends and girlfriend? I enjoyed my interview days at both schools and the location for both schools are amazing so that is not an issue. I think I want to match into a competitive residency (surgery).
OP I think the other posters making rank blind them. We cannot answer this question without knowing how serious the relationship is with you and your SO and the type of support system you have in Chicago. If you see this girl as someone you intend to marry and the support system in Chicago is solid especially at the time you need it most then I would choose Chicago hands down. Happiness > prestige +10k a year every time .

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OP I think the other posters making rank blind them. We cannot answer this question without knowing how serious the relationship is with you and your SO and the type of support system you have in Chicago. If you see this girl as someone you intend to marry and the support system in Chicago is solid especially at the time you need it most then I would choose Chicago hands down. Happiness > prestige +10k a year every time

Medical school is hard and I'd agree that happiness and having a support system are very important.

However, even if this relationship is very serious, I'd still argue that the difference between Mt. Sinai and UIC might be worth a relocation to NYC. If your relationship is serious, your gf could follow you to NYC. If she has a job in Chicago, I'm assuming whatever she is doing can also be done in NYC. This might require temporary separation while she finds a job, relocates, etc., but Mt. Sinai is top notch and might be worth it.

Reactions: 1 users
OP I think the other posters making rank blind them. We cannot answer this question without knowing how serious the relationship is with you and your SO and the type of support system you have in Chicago. If you see this girl as someone you intend to marry and the support system in Chicago is solid especially at the time you need it most then I would choose Chicago hands down. Happiness > prestige +10k a year every time .

I in no way am letting rank blind me, and I never once said anything about "rank" or "prestige". I have personal experience with both programs, and from the facilities to the faculty to the location to the city and to the overall quality of the institution, ISMMS wins hands down. I'm never a fan of going somewhere with the largest pro is that your non-married S.O. is located there, because in the potentially sad case where OP and S.O. don't develop their relationship into something serious down the line the OP will always wonder "what if", as is human nature. Especially with having had the opportunity to go to a better school in a new city where they can have new experiences and grow as a person, all for less $$.

Unless you're planning on marrying this girl it should in no way influence a career decision that you'll have to live with 30+ years down the line. Sinai has a better reputation with higher quality faculty and more resources and will offer you far more opportunities.

Thanks for all the input guys. My girlfriend is actually working as an actuary in the Chicago so there would be multiple opportunities for her to find a job in NYC. At this point, we talked it over and I am leaning towards Mt. Sinai. Hopefully, a year and change down the road she'll be in NYC with me!

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for all the input guys. My girlfriend is actually working as an actuary in the Chicago so there would be multiple opportunities for her to find a job in NYC. At this point, we talked it over and I am leaning towards Mt. Sinai. Hopefully, a year and change down the road she'll be in NYC with me!

Great choice, and good luck to you !

Awesome. Hopes its all works out for you guys!

fwiw, although I don't think you can live with a non-spouse SO in Mt Sinai housing (which is an incredibly sweet deal in terms of location/price), the UES is an area with a decent amount of reasonably (for NYC) priced housing.

Update:

I just received an interview invite for the Innovation Medicine Program at UIC. I have always been interested in engineering and technology in medicine and feel that this program would allow me to explore that interest in more depth as well as give me access to research opportunities that align with my interests. With my undergraduate degree in electrical engineering, I feel that this program would be very helpful. Is this program enough to sway my decision to UIC over Mt. Sinai if I get accepted?

Thanks!

Awesome. Hopes its all works out for you guys!

fwiw, although I don't think you can live with a non-spouse SO in Mt Sinai housing (which is an incredibly sweet deal in terms of location/price), the UES is an area with a decent amount of reasonably (for NYC) priced housing.

Sinai has couples housing that is also very competitively priced, although you do have to have a significant burden of proof to be approved

Update:

I just received an interview invite for the Innovation Medicine Program at UIC. I have always been interested in engineering and technology in medicine and feel that this program would allow me to explore that interest in more depth as well as give me access to research opportunities that align with my interests. With my undergraduate degree in electrical engineering, I feel that this program would be very helpful. Is this program enough to sway my decision to UIC over Mt. Sinai if I get accepted?

Thanks!

Unless you see yourself potentially leaving medicine for biotech, no. Mt Sinai is in a tier above UIC and opens up more doors for you in medicine. You are presumably entering medical school with the hopes of practicing medicine and securing an awesome residency. While UIC's program sounds super cool, Mt. Sinai is going to be able to do a lot more for you on the medicine front. If you really want to search out engineering/technology research, I'm search you'll be able to find something at either Sinai or another institution in NYC.

Sinai has couples housing that is also very competitively priced, although you do have to have a significant burden of proof to be approved

That burden of proof was a marriage/domestic partnership certificate when my friend was looking.