UIC Dental Tuition?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pmarank

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys does anyone know what the COA for UIC is not including living expenses?

http://tigger.uic.edu/depts/oar/professional/tuition_prof/tuition_prof_fal12_spr13.html

According to that site tuition+fees = 32820/year. So is it simply 32820 * 4 = 131280? Something tells me I am on the really low side...

Members don't see this ad.

You are quite low. There are three summer terms and you are looking at 2o12 and 2013. Look at the numbers in the link below (2014 and 2015) and expect a hefty tuition increase over the years due to the illinois budget crisis.

http://tigger.uic.edu/depts/oar/grad/tuition_grad.html

Thanks but none of those links seem to have the Dental school tuition?

The original link I posted says$14,680 per semester. Does 3 summer terms = 14680 x3?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know why but that website is totally off. The real tuition+fees for 4 years is close to about $250k+, not including housing. At the interview they give you a sheet that says the tuition and costs, and it's nowhere near $15k/semester...

Ok cool so its about 15k per semester. But Im still not sure what the cost to attend for 1 year is? Obviously 15k * 2 for the 2 semesters during the year. How do I estimate the cost of the summer terms? Anything else I need to take into account?

You're leaving out all the fees below the tuition line.

Looks to be about $15,423+1,481+521+3,529 = $20,954 per semester, not including living expenses.

I would not sweat over $20k a semester without room and board, as UCS dental is charging $50k+ per semester for the exact same deal.

I graduated 4 years ago, and my school raised tuition 20-30% since, and I expect the same increase for the next 4 years. Those poor grads will enter the profession with the same starting salary as the class of 1995 did (who had average debt of $100k).

Times has changed for the worse for those considering the profession.

I would not sweat over $20k a semester without room and board, as UCS dental is charging $50k+ per semester for the exact same deal.

I graduated 4 years ago, and my school raised tuition 20-30% since, and I expect the same increase for the next 4 years. Those poor grads will enter the profession with the same starting salary as the class of 1995 did (who had average debt of $100k).

Times has changed for the worse for those considering the profession.

This is compounded by the fact that most need to take on additional debt to open a practice. Would you recommend dentistry to someone not interested in opening a private practice (to keep debt low)?

You have to spend money to make money. Debt only makes sense if your ROI is good and sustainable.

Is it sustainable to work as an associate or at a chain?

Last edited:
It depends. You work hard and smart as a businessman, you can go all the way to the top 1% of the profession, or do still ok and make a good living by being a competent and smart associate. Effort is money in this line of work.

So quantitatively...do you think a decent associate can make over 120k?
EDIT: And not have to live in the middle of no where

Sweet thanks Cold Front. Also jw what was your experience like in dental school? Im just trying to talk to as many dentists as I can right now about the difficulty of d-school to determine if I can handle it. I was actually just on the MD forum and they were discussing how its necessary to adapt to sleep deprivation in 3rd year and in residency. Did you find that you were able to sleep well in dental school despite the rigor of the classes?

Last edited: