UIC GPPA or Other?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

piano1991

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a high school senior and need some college advice. I already got into the UIC honors college and GPPA Pharmacy. But, since I have to pay for college, I was thinking about pursuing a 2+4 at Midwestern.

The question is should I go for undergrad at a college or a university? I have tested out most of the prerequisites for Midwestern because of AP credit. Since I don't need to take many courses and I am paying for college I was thinking about going to the College of Dupage. But I was wondering if this would hurt my chances of getting into Midwestern in the future. Currently I have my pharmacy technician license and intern in a retail pharmacy and in the past I have volunteered in a hospital inpatient pharmacy throughout middle school (I've been wanting to be a pharmacist for a while now haha). Also, I am going to take a technician certification class this summer. I was wondering if maybe my pharmacy involvement, diverse EC's and a high PCAT score could distract from the fact that I got my prereqs from AP credit and community college courses?

Or should I just suck it up and still go GPPA? haha

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently a high school senior and need some college advice. I already got into the UIC honors college and GPPA Pharmacy. But, since I have to pay for college, I was thinking about pursuing a 2+4 at Midwestern.

The question is should I go for undergrad at a college or a university? I have tested out most of the prerequisites for Midwestern because of AP credit. Since I don't need to take many courses and I am paying for college I was thinking about going to the College of Dupage. But I was wondering if this would hurt my chances of getting into Midwestern in the future. Currently I have my pharmacy technician license and intern in a retail pharmacy and in the past I have volunteered in a hospital inpatient pharmacy throughout middle school (I've been wanting to be a pharmacist for a while now haha). Also, I am going to take a technician certification class this summer. I was wondering if maybe my pharmacy involvement, diverse EC's and a high PCAT score could distract from the fact that I got my prereqs from AP credit and community college courses?

Or should I just suck it up and still go GPPA? haha

All of my credits except for science and english were AP. If anything I think it just shows that you've been driven from the start and academics are a strongpoint for you.
People get into pharmacy school from community college all the time. I think that the fact that you have so much else going on in the pharmacy world that that will make a big difference for you. You'd definitely have to perform well in the classes as well as on the PCAT. You can always talk to an advisor or someone in admissions at the school, they usually can provide some decent feedback about this sort of stuff.

Are you saying that you are thinking of going to MIDWESTERN > UIC to SAVE money? That seems a bit backwards.

Even if you take 2 years at a CC, UIC will be cheaper overall I think as the 4 years at Midwestern will be well over 100k.

Members don't see this ad :)
For UIC undergrad, you will get a locked in tuition rate for 4 years. Once you start pharmacy, they can change your tuition every year. I did undergrad and pharmacy at UIC, and I believe the entire thing, including on-campus housing, cost less than $100k.
Currently, the yearly tuition for pharmacy at MWU is about $30k, and at UIC (in-state), total tuition and fees is about $22k. I do not know if the MWU rate includes fees.
The yearly tuition for UIC ugrad (in-state, full-time) for a science major for those who entered fall 2009 is $13,434. When I started at UIC in Fall 2003, yearly tuition was a little under $7k. I also started the last year tuition could change each year.
At UIC, the amount of money the state gives has dropped significanly since 2002. The last number I heard, the state gives about 20% of the budget. In 2002, the number was closer to 30%.

Well, if I went to UIC I would be in their GPPA program so I would have to be there for undergrad for 4 years to get a bachelor's degree since it is a requirement for GPPA then go to their pharmacy school...if I went to midwestern I could just go 2 years at a cc then transfer so it turns out to be cheaper.

Thanks guys for your input :)

You're assuming you will get in after 2 years of CC. At UIC, that is nearly impossible to do. You can hedge your bet by doing your pre-pharm years at UIC as a GPPA student. You can still apply to MWU after two years, and if you don't get in, you'll still have UIC's guaranteed acceptance. Do not decline GPPA lightly. I know of many people who regretted this move.