UIC Interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nope, last names are the order. You can try and e-mail them for a change but that is not likely.

greeaaaaat. my last name is smack dab in the middle. boooooooo.

Members don't see this ad.

I received my Interview Date/Time email today @ 10:50am!

I'm going on Friday afternoon!!! YAY!!

That worked out perfectly for me (no school or work to miss). :D

Hopefully everyone will have received their dates/times as well.

Hmmm. I wonder why I have not received my date/time yet. Anyone else besides Yoda receive their appointment?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you not familar with the area, UIC west campus is accessible by the Pink Line Polk St. Station, #7 Harrison, #9 Ashland, #38 Ogden Taylor, #50 Damen, and #12 Roosevelt buses. Most importantly the 7 and the 38 buses go to Union and near Oglivie Station, if travelling by Metra. There are several lodging options. UIC does have its own guest housing. The nearest hotels are the Marriott Medical District Hotel at Ashland and Harrison and the Greektown Crowne Plaza at Halsted and Madison/Monroe. The Marriott does sometime offer discounts for people coming to UIC from what I hear.
The interview will last for half a day. You will be responsible for your own lunch. For that, I recommend a walk east down Taylor where you will find many suitable eateries, like Pompei and De Pasada. The interview consists of an essay and an interview. For the essay, it doesn't matter what you write but how you write it. They want to make sure you can write well. The interview will be with one of the UIC COP professors. The only thing they will know about you is what University you attended.
This coming academic year will be UIC COP's 150th year, so many activities are planned.

I still have not received my date/time yet :( My last name is also in the middle of the alphabet, so I'm surprised that I didn't receive an email around the same time as yoda.

genesis,
If I've attended two universities (B.S. from UIC), will both of them be listed? And if I've recently taken two pharm pre-reqs at my community college, will that also be listed?

Thanks!

just got mine today @10:50 am. My last name is in the beginning of the alphabet, but I am also going on friday. I am at 9:30 AM.

I think they list whatever is the most recent or where you got your bachelors from.
Where are they having the interviews at the college or the Union?

got mine today at 2:50 am. i'm interviewing on tuesday and it's in the student center west. anyone else for tuesday? :)

The UIC webmail system has been acting a little odd this week. SCW is at the corner of Wolcott and Polk.

I have my date/time :)

It seems like out-of-staters were scheduled first for Friday.

got mine today at 2:50 am. i'm interviewing on tuesday and it's in the student center west. anyone else for tuesday? :)

I am also interviewing on Tuesday...at 11:45 am @ SCW. Couldn't have worked out better in terms of scheduling.
Honestly...I don't even care that I'll be missing class and part of work. :p

Did everyone receive the follow-up email?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I accidentally mailed in Midwestern's Prepharm worksheet as part of my UIC supplemental application, and got confirmation that UIC received it and then kind of forgot about it due to my grandpa being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.... anyway..... That stopped my application from being looked at at all. So I am wondering if anyone got an interview with stats similar to mine, so I can possibly feel better about not getting into my #1 choice and blame it on my credentials rather than me making a dumb mistake.

Biology degree from Loyola Chicago, 3.67 GPA, 98th %tile on PCAT, no pharm experience, a summer of volunteering in an ER.

Thanks

So I accidentally mailed in Midwestern's Prepharm worksheet as part of my UIC supplemental application, and got confirmation that UIC received it and then kind of forgot about it due to my grandpa being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.... anyway..... That stopped my application from being looked at at all. So I am wondering if anyone got an interview with stats similar to mine, so I can possibly feel better about not getting into my #1 choice and blame it on my credentials rather than me making a dumb mistake.

Biology degree from Loyola Chicago, 3.67 GPA, 98th %tile on PCAT, no pharm experience, a summer of volunteering in an ER.

Thanks

If you're an Illinois resident, I'm confident that you would have received an interview invite. Your GPA and PCAT are a good match for UIC and you have a degree. I attended the information session back in December and was told that pharmacy experience is not important; however, it was said that ECs in general are significant. That you only have one EC for one summer is somewhat of a weakness (unless you left others out), but I still say you would have at least received an interview invite if you're in-state. For non-residents, it seems like it's much more difficult to gauge the chances of an invite and acceptance.

Does anyone know if the awards section on PharmCAS is considered by UIC? Genesis?

I don't know. The OSA might be able to tell you what they look at for admissions.

I don't know. The OSA might be able to tell you what they look at for admissions.

Yeah, I've thought about emailing OSA to ask. I'm afraid I might bother them :oops: It's probably better that I don't know the answers to some of my questions anyway. If the answers are in my favor, I might become overconfident; if they're not, I'll probably worry too much.

Two weeks until the interview...

Less than one week until the interviews :scared:

First round of interviews tomorrow... Well, I guess that would be today since it's 12:00 AM. Good luck, and post your experiences :)

Interview today at 11:45am! Good luck everyone else :) and I'll post my experience.

Interview today at 11:45am! Good luck everyone else :) and I'll post my experience.

Hi! I hope everything went well. I'm guessing you're the one who posted the most recent interview feedback, so it sounds like you had a good time. If that was indeed you, thanks a bunch for posting your experience! It's my turn tomorrow :scared:

ALL DONE! :)
All that stress for nothing...save your stress for late April when they mail out notifications.
I posted some feedback...but they haven't changed much since previous interviews.

GOOD LUCK!!! :laugh:

All that stress for nothing...save your stress for late April when they mail out notifications.
I posted some feedback...but they haven't changed much since previous interviews.

Thank you so much for your feedback! I know most of the important questions already, but I'm definitely less stressed now from reading your experiences.

Late April? Yikes! Did they say that? Usually it's mid-April. Please clarify... Actually, I suppose I can just ask tomorrow hehe.

Still a little stressed :scared:

Thank you so much for your feedback! I know most of the important questions already, but I'm definitely less stressed now from reading your experiences.

Late April? Yikes! Did they say that? Usually it's mid-April. Please clarify... Actually, I suppose I can just ask tomorrow hehe.

Still a little stressed :scared:

They MIGHT have said mid-April. I thought I heard late April. Ms. Fleming will clarify this around the essay time.
I really, really hope we know by mid-April. The earlier, the better!
I'm sure you'll be fine! Too bad OTC Xanax isn't available yet (*hint*).

It's okay to be a little stressed, especially if this is your #1 school (it's mine). Just make sure you have a de-stress plan for after the interview.
:cool:

They said at the interview we would be notified by April 31st of their decisions.

April 31st is the absolute last day you will be notified. Chances are you will know by mid April. They just like to give themselves plently of time. They will accept about 150 students to begin with. A certain number of seats are taken up by GPPA students and P-1 repeats. If those numbers are less than the total class number they will accept people from the wait list.

congrats on being done with the interview :) I was wondering where did you post the feedback, I've been looking and can't find it on here anywhere. Thanks going in on thursday :) but still nervous

congrats on being done with the interview :) I was wondering where did you post the feedback, I've been looking and can't find it on here anywhere. Thanks going in on thursday :) but still nervous

Feedback specifically for UIC: Clicky!
List of all Pharmacy schools in the US: Clicky!

Everyone involved in the interview process (especially the students) are SOOOOO friendly. You know it's genuine because everyone volunteered to be there during their spring break (and not receiving ANY credit for it) when they could have spent their spring breaks in Cabo.

I've got one more interview with OSU on Friday, but I think I'm just gonna have fun with it. :)

I'm done! It was definitely a pleasant experience. I feel so fortunate to have had the interviewer that I did. It seems like they're all nice, but I was very comfortable with mine. We talked about a whole bunch of stuff, and were the last ones to leave the room. I enjoyed our normal conversation and started dreading the first few "real" questions, but we even kept those pretty conversational, so it wasn't a big deal. So, I'll reiterate what everyone else has been saying about not stressing out too much, and I shall post an official feedback soon :)

LILO, I now understand the OTC hint hehe. I picked the other one though.

About the acceptance notification, Ms. Fleming did say that we will be notified by the third or fourth week of April. As genesis said, though, it's typical for UIC to send notice by mid-April.

Also, I have two questions for anyone:
1. Was there anything else to do after the interview? Everyone was mostly gone by the time I was done. I went back up to the lobby and the student at the check-in said there's nothing after the interview. I'm just surprised because the email said that everything would take 3-3.5 hours.

2. Did your interviewers take notes? Mine did not at all, but we were pretty involved in conversation. I suppose it depends on the interviewer. I'm actually glad mine did not because it probably would have been weird to break conversation like that. Just curious.

I'm done! It was definitely a pleasant experience. I feel so fortunate to have had the interviewer that I did. It seems like they're all nice, but I was very comfortable with mine. We talked about a whole bunch of stuff, and were the last ones to leave the room. I enjoyed our normal conversation and started dreading the first few "real" questions, but we even kept those pretty conversational, so it wasn't a big deal. So, I'll reiterate what everyone else has been saying about not stressing out too much, and I shall post an official feedback soon :)

LILO, I now understand the OTC hint hehe. I picked the other one though.

About the acceptance notification, Ms. Fleming did say that we will be notified by the third or fourth week of April. As genesis said, though, it's typical for UIC to send notice by mid-April.

Also, I have two questions for anyone:
1. Was there anything else to do after the interview? Everyone was mostly gone by the time I was done. I went back up to the lobby and the student at the check-in said there's nothing after the interview. I'm just surprised because the email said that everything would take 3-3.5 hours.

2. Did your interviewers take notes? Mine did not at all, but we were pretty involved in conversation. I suppose it depends on the interviewer. I'm actually glad mine did not because it probably would have been weird to break conversation like that. Just curious.

1. Same here. There was nothing for me to do, so I called my ride and pigged out at Sushi Para. :) Seemed short, but I guess that's what happens when there's no building to tour. Perhaps that time frame was recycled from previous years?

2. Mine did. Took a bunch of notes. I don't know if that was good or bad. :) I guess it could go either way.

Lucky you to be the last one to leave the room! That happened to me at Wayne State (my interview lasted 20 min. longer than everyone else's?!)...but it didn't happen here, so I'm kinda bummed.... but it could depend on the interviewer, so I probably shouldn't use that as an indicator of my performance... but still... :(

Funny...I'm stressing more now than ever! Now I'm going back through my PharmCAS and wishing I put different EC's than I did. Gahh! Hopefully we'll all be seeing each other in Fall '08. :)

Now I'm going back through my PharmCAS and wishing I put different EC's than I did. Gahh! Hopefully we'll all be seeing each other in Fall '08. :)

For those EC's, UIC only looks at their own forms. The personal datasheet you filled out asks for EC's, and also states that where PharmCAS and UIC's forms overlap, UIC will only consider their own forms... I hope they adhere to that because I really didn't bother filling in too many EC's on my PharmCAS app!

I guess we could interpret what the interviewers do in any number of ways. No point in overthinking it. I'm not sure how much longer my interview lasted compared to everyone else's because I wasn't paying attention (my back was to the rest of the room). I was actually the first to go in as well, and I suspect that someone told my interviewer to finish up because he looked briefly away from me and said that we should probably wrap it up. When we stood up to leave, I saw that there were only one or two others (interviewers) in the room, and that it was almost time for the next group to come in.

Thanks for replying to my questions. I do also hope we will see each other in the fall!

Historically, the time frame for interview day was check-in, essay, interview, Q&A with students and student affairs Dean, and then tours of building and campus. I could have sworn students got elective credit for being a student ambassador. Interviews have been done either in the prof's office or the interviewing rooms in the pharmacy simulation lab.

Historically, the time frame for interview day was check-in, essay, interview, Q&A with students and student affairs Dean, and then tours of building and campus. I could have sworn students got elective credit for being a student ambassador. Interviews have been done either in the prof's office or the interviewing rooms in the pharmacy simulation lab.

They don't have Q&A with student affairs Dean, or tours of building and campus this year. Tour of the building was cancelled because of the fire. But even other parts were cut short.

is anyone else needing to get back to MWU by april 10 for a deposit but still holding out for UIC? I know UIC said they would get back to us the 3rd or 4rth week but I know a P1 who said she got her acceptance from UIC on april 13th! I feel like my interview at UIC went well but you never know....

is anyone else needing to get back to MWU by april 10 for a deposit but still holding out for UIC? I know UIC said they would get back to us the 3rd or 4rth week but I know a P1 who said she got her acceptance from UIC on april 13th! I feel like my interview at UIC went well but you never know....

For your P1 friend, you must remember that there was a fire this year... There is a good chance that the decisions will be delayed. However, I heard from one student at this year's interviews that while they told us 3rd/4th week of April, they are actually going to try and finish in the 1st week. Seems unlikely because the process seems much longer at other schools. However, they did manage to cram all interviews into 1 week...

Not that much work as to be done on the applications after the interview. They just have to add the interview points. The building has just completely reopened except for the locker room and computer lab.

Even with the fire, they still managed to have the interview schedule as last year. I bet they will finish the reviewing process as last year's schedule, which means we will get the results back in the week of April 14-18.
For your P1 friend, you must remember that there was a fire this year... There is a good chance that the decisions will be delayed. However, I heard from one student at this year's interviews that while they told us 3rd/4th week of April, they are actually going to try and finish in the 1st week. Seems unlikely because the process seems much longer at other schools. However, they did manage to cram all interviews into 1 week...

That was what I thought. According to this point system, I guess majority of the points have been set before the interview. Unless the candidates really screw up the interview, the interview points won't change much in terms of who will be accepted.
Not that much work as to be done on the applications after the interview. They just have to add the interview points. The building has just completely reopened except for the locker room and computer lab.

That was what I thought. According to this point system, I guess majority of the points have been set before the interview. Unless the candidates really screw up the interview, the interview points won't change much in terms of who will be accepted.

Although I think I did well at the interview, I like the sound of that :)

Yeah I feel like they probably reach an admissions decision well before the 3rd or 4rth week, if you guys search old UIC threads there is one poster who said he received his offer of acceptance on April 1st, today, (unfortunately no such luck for me yet =)
but anyways if I don't hear from anything from them for before april 10th...I'm tempted to call but I think I remember Paula Fleming saying not to call .... eh

I don't think calling them is a good idea. I imagine they are pretty busy with reviewing the applications. Sometimes Paula doesn't even reply to my email.

Yeah I feel like they probably reach an admissions decision well before the 3rd or 4rth week, if you guys search old UIC threads there is one poster who said he received his offer of acceptance on April 1st, today, (unfortunately no such luck for me yet =)
but anyways if I don't hear from anything from them for before april 10th...I'm tempted to call but I think I remember Paula Fleming saying not to call .... eh

I don't think calling them is a good idea. I imagine they are pretty busy with reviewing the applications. Sometimes Paula doesn't even reply to my email.

Agreed. I think the reason they say 3-4 weeks is that they don't want people calling to ask if the decisions are made yet. If they plan to get the decisions out in 2 weeks, they say 3-4 because they figure most people will start calling on the third week. By then, though, they will have mailed the decisions and will avoid those calls. If they told us 2 weeks, they could definitely expect to receive calls starting on the second week, and to continue receiving calls until they mail the decisions.

I'm predicting Friday April 11th by 3 PM. If not by then, I'd say Monday April 14th. Worst case scenario: Friday April 18th. Absolute earliest: Wednesday April 9th.

I think it's gonna be a Friday as well, April 11 or 18.
Agreed. I think the reason they say 3-4 weeks is that they don't want people calling to ask if the decisions are made yet. If they plan to get the decisions out in 2 weeks, they say 3-4 because they figure most people will start calling on the third week. By then, though, they will have mailed the decisions and will avoid those calls. If they told us 2 weeks, they could definitely expect to receive calls starting on the second week, and to continue receiving calls until they mail the decisions.

I'm predicting Friday April 11th by 3 PM. If not by then, I'd say Monday April 14th. Worst case scenario: Friday April 18th. Absolute earliest: Wednesday April 9th.

OSU got back to me 6 days after my interview! Soooo speedy.
Waiting for April 11/18 is gonna kill me. :(
Is anyone else an obsessive/compulsive email checker?

OSU got back to me 6 days after my interview! Soooo speedy.
Waiting for April 11/18 is gonna kill me. :(
Is anyone else an obsessive/compulsive email checker?

I am, but I'm not going to start the compulsive email checking until next week some time. For now, I'll just compulsively check SDN for new posts :D

Did OSU have a writing assessment? I suspect it's the reading and scoring of 300+ two-page essays that creates the delay at UIC. Also, if the interviewers do not derive numerical scores from their evaluations themselves, it'll take more time to read and score those as well. However, it might make more sense and would certainly be easier to have the interviewers do the scoring, so that's probably what UIC does. It's just the essays holding things up then if that's the case.

Theorizing about the UIC admissions system is a decent way to pass time ;)

hey you guys I just got a call from my P1 friend telling me to hold off on the MWU deposit bc one of her friends is in lab with a faculty member on the admissions committee and they got done a lot sooner than expected!! She said she heard that they will be sending out the first e-mails tonight? Whoever gets one first post on sdn pleease! Also, I think one of the girls who applied to UIC got an e-mail, I think...I still have to confirm if I heard right. Anyways, good luck you guys we might hear news (hopefully good) sooner than expected !!

hey you guys I just got a call from my P1 friend telling me to hold off on the MWU deposit bc one of her friends is in lab with a faculty member on the admissions committee and they got done a lot sooner than expected!! She said she heard that they will be sending out the first e-mails tonight? Whoever gets one first post on sdn pleease! Also, I think one of the girls who applied to UIC got an e-mail, I think...I still have to confirm if I heard right. Anyways, good luck you guys we might hear news (hopefully good) sooner than expected !!

:scared:
So far...nothing.
Xanax, please...