UIC Interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey you guys I just got a call from my P1 friend telling me to hold off on the MWU deposit bc one of her friends is in lab with a faculty member on the admissions committee and they got done a lot sooner than expected!! She said she heard that they will be sending out the first e-mails tonight? Whoever gets one first post on sdn pleease! Also, I think one of the girls who applied to UIC got an e-mail, I think...I still have to confirm if I heard right. Anyways, good luck you guys we might hear news (hopefully good) sooner than expected !!

:laugh: Looks like I'll be checking my email compulsively starting now. Definitely sounds like just a rumor to me, but it'll add some excitement to the coming days. I sincerely doubt that they'll send any emails tonight though.

Members don't see this ad.

hey you guys I just got a call from my P1 friend telling me to hold off on the MWU deposit bc one of her friends is in lab with a faculty member on the admissions committee and they got done a lot sooner than expected!! She said she heard that they will be sending out the first e-mails tonight? Whoever gets one first post on sdn pleease! Also, I think one of the girls who applied to UIC got an e-mail, I think...I still have to confirm if I heard right. Anyways, good luck you guys we might hear news (hopefully good) sooner than expected !!

Really? Hopefully this is true. We will see.

i heard the same thing while at work the other day from someone i work with! i'm trying not to get too excited/nervous, but it's hard not to! :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Funny thing: after reading the post last night about possible emails from UIC, I went to my email account as soon as I woke up this morning, and saw that there was one message. I opened my inbox and saw that it was from "Office of Admissions." "Wow," I thought at first, but then I looked at the subject and saw that it was from another school, and had nothing to do with admissions :( Those five seconds were pretty intense though.

UIC sends out all its final acceptance/denial/wait list e-mails at the same time. It normally takes 2-3 weeks from the last interview date. Give them some time, they have 300 applications to go through.

i heard the same thing while at work the other day from someone i work with! i'm trying not to get too excited/nervous, but it's hard not to! :scared:

so its not just me! Who did you hear from... I tried contacting my P1 friend today but I couldn't get a chance to talk to her (at work all day)... hmm I guess we just have to keep on waiting!! haha sorry if I inadvertently increased stress levels - that was not my intention!

so its not just me! Who did you hear from... I tried contacting my P1 friend today but I couldn't get a chance to talk to her (at work all day)... hmm I guess we just have to keep on waiting!! haha sorry if I inadvertently increased stress levels - that was not my intention!

lol! the guy i heard from said he had overheard that info while at UIC (he's a pharm student). i'm trying to prepare myself to continue waiting for awhile, but it's sooooo easy to get caught up! :D

and i'm glad that i'm not the only one that heard that...maybe it's true then!

does anyone remember the name's of the people interviewing them? Just curious...

ironically, i found out about my acceptance on april 13 (friday the 13th) last year.

the decisions should be coming out soon.

good luck everyone! it's weird to think i was in your shoes just last year. it feels so long ago. and now we (the P1s) are studying for our medchem exam.

I believe my interviewer's name was Dr. Sethi, so you got an acceptance letter already? Congratulations!!! When did you get it and if you don't mind can you post you stats...

oh nvm, you got in last year....read that wrong!

Members don't see this ad :)
iwannabpharmer, i remember hearing that last year around this time....pretty crazy! If you interviewed and got charles Woodbury....very sorry for you:) He makes medchem hell! I had Tanzi, she's nice. Is this everyone's first choice? well....hope you all get in! P1 year is not hard and you can pretty much party most of the time as long as you take care of business a little first good luck..
:)

omg i got an e-mail this morning! Did anyone lese hear the good news?

I got mine this morning at 735 am!!!

I got in!!

7:31am, I got the offer letter. Congrats to everyone who got in.

I got in too! Congratulations everyone!

Woodbury is a nice prof. His exams are very fair. The average was always around an 80. Yes, they are free response.

:banana:I'm in!!! Time to be paranoid about getting the deposit and stuff turned in before the deadline!

Congrads everyone!!!

To those who have been accepted, what were your stats?

the wait is finally over! i got in too! hope to see most of you guys in the fall!! :)

Congrads everyone!!!

To those who have been accepted, what were your stats?

3.1 GPA
53 PCAT (pretty pathetic, huh?)
Hospital experience
5 years Pharmacy Tech experience
Great interview
Dominated the essay

quote=Marty Samson;6488061]Who got accepted without a degree?[/quote]

Hey my stats are roughly 3.75 cGPA, I think 3.5 sGPA, 93 on the pcat
but I am getting my degree...I think most of the people I know that are in or have gotten in UIC have degrees but i'm sure there are others that don't...

I've been waiting for a long time to use this!

:banana::biglove::clap: UIC COP CLASS OF 2012 :banana::biglove::clap:

finally!! woohoo congrats to everyone!

Hey I got in without a degree!! just got an acceptance letter today =))))
Does anyone know where they're living yet?

Oh yea and my stats are:
GPA 3.65 Cummulative
PCAT 88
lots of extracurriculars and hospital and pharmacy experience

I suppose I'll post my stats since I had always wished that the people who were admitted to UIC last year had posted their's more.

3.97 GPA, BS Biochem from UIC, 97 PCAT (all sections >90), focused almost all of my EC time on research (organic chem), MINIMAL retail pharmacy experience.

I don't have much retail or hospital experience because I'm more interested in pharmacy industry, academics, and research. This lack of experience in traditional settings was definitely a concern for me during the application process, but I'm glad to see now that UIC appreciates my intent to focus on non-traditional roles. UIC is, after all, one of the top pharmacy schools in research :) (and overall, of course).

Hopefully this post will comfort future applicants who intend to be non-traditional as well. I certainly could have used more of that comfort.

not here

Last edited:
No degree (will be 13 hrs short)
3.5 gpa, 3.6 sgpa
55 PCAT
4 yrs NCAA baseball - team capt
2 yrs pharm tech
tons of EC's, volunteer work
No clue on living situation

No degree (will be 13 hrs short)
3.5 gpa, 3.6 sgpa
55 PCAT
4 yrs NCAA baseball - team capt
2 yrs pharm tech
tons of EC's, volunteer work
No clue on living situation
You plan on playing for UIC?

You could be the next Curtis Granderson. :)

Haha
Curtis Granderson ... very fast
Me ... slower than a turtle, and my eligibility is up.

Congrats to everyone, I can't wait to meet you all!

I was 3.7 GPA, 3.6 sciGPA, 95 PCAT, will have a degree after 3 years of undergrad, no pharmacy experience at all

Anyone even started to think about housing yet? I kind of want to live in off campus apartments (cheaper) but 2/3 bedrooms are the way to go as far as money is concerned. Hopefully I'll make a friend or two at orientation I guess!

yeah i'm kinda worried about housing too, im not sure if apt's on the westside are that safe...i think the east side is usually safer...what do you guys think?

I think your right on that but u can always house on the east side and take the shuttle over ?

Congrats to everybody who got in!

Quick question: for those who got into UIC, where did you guys do your pre-reqs? I know it doesn't matter but I'm just curious where the majority of the accepted took their pre-reqs.

Quick question: for those who got into UIC, where did you guys do your pre-reqs? I know it doesn't matter but I'm just curious where the majority of the accepted took their pre-reqs.
I did my freshmen year at UIC, and then I finished the rest up at Prairie State, South Suburban, and Moraine Valley.

And for the people that are looking for housing: Yeah, the west side is a little more notorious for crime and stuff like that, but it's really not all that bad....unless you go really far west.

Fellow classmates :D, please post when you have received your official admissions letter/info in the mail. Sometimes my mail gets messed up here, and I'll be worried about receiving mine. I wonder just how soon we can expect it.

I did the majority of my pre-reqs at the University of Iowa, then transferred to UIC to finish my BS. The only important pre-reqs I finished at UIC were organic chem and physics I think. Also, I completed my anatomy and speech classes at my community college (Moraine Valley). Welaugh', we're in the same general area it seems :).

Just don't go beyond Western Ave in the UIC area and you'll be fine. Between Damen and Western, things start to get iffy, but there are some great bargains. Housing in the UIC area is expensive. Expect over $1000 a month for a 2 bedroom apartment. The shuttle is not always reliable.
Once your net id is set up, you can look at UIC's off campus apartment listing.

Fellow classmates :D, please post when you have received your official admissions letter/info in the mail. Sometimes my mail gets messed up here, and I'll be worried about receiving mine. I wonder just how soon we can expect it.
I wasn't aware that we were actually receiving something in the mail.

They said in the email that they were going to send another email with more details on how to complete acceptance....hm.

I did the majority of my pre-reqs at the University of Iowa, then transferred to UIC to finish my BS. The only important pre-reqs I finished at UIC were organic chem and physics I think. Also, I completed my anatomy and speech classes at my community college (Moraine Valley). Welaugh', we're in the same general area it seems :).
Almost, I'm actually currently taking an online course at Moraine....have to go to stupid lab tonight though.

I live about 20 minutes south of the Moraine area.

Congratulations to you too, but I'm not sure I can say the same....you being a Sox fan and all.
Uh oh, don't tell me you're a Cubs fan lol. I will hold off on the baseball fights until we are more than a week into the season! Can we at least agree on the bears though?

As far as pre-req work collegegrad, I did mine at Marquette in Milwaukee. As much as I like Milwaukee, I'm excited about living in a 'real' city

I wasn't aware that we were actually receiving something in the mail.

They said in the email that they were going to send another email with more details on how to complete acceptance....hm.

Mine says "official letter" with "very detailed information." I assume that means snail mail.

Did everyone send in their deposit already?

Welaugh, I'm about 10 minutes NE of Moraine. I have to be there Tuesday and Thursday for my speech class (last pre req). It's so convenient compared to the UIC drive that I had to make everyday for undergrad.

Cubs and Sox are both off to a good start. I'm loving Kosuke right now. Don't have too much hope for the Bears this season though :(

Hey congrats to everyone. I got an acceptance as well, but I am sorry to say I will be declining... But that means one more spot opens up!

3.3 GPA
99 PCAT
1 year pharm tech in hospital
5 years pharm tech in retail
Did well on the essay, and interview went very well
lots of ECs

Degree: Bio Sciences
GPA: 3.95
PCAT: 98
Interview: Jennifer Tran - I felt that it went just okay... I was actually a bit down after the interview because I felt that she wasn't very responsive to my anecdotes and "lightening the mood" endeavors. However, we did talk for nearly an hour (30 min longer than we were supposed to, because she kept asking me questions). One thing that made me nervous is that she kept asking me about other schools and if I had gotten accepted elsewhere. It threw me off. I answered honestly, of course. I guess she liked me, but I think because she was a reserved Asian woman (as opposed to the caucasian males that I have normally interviewed with) things were a bit different. Oh, she also asked me: "Why not medicine??? You seem to be great with people" which also threw me off.
Essay: Ultimate domination =)
Experience: community pharmacy, retail hours, drug research, clubs, volunteer hours at hospital

I'm deciding between UIC and UMB (dual degree law is pretty darn appealing to me) right now... but most likely, I will join you all as a UIC class of '12-er =) Will know for sure on Saturday.

congrats again to everyone! just to give you a heads up... some things may get confusing in the beginning when you start going to orientation and get your paperwork in order (drug test, background check, immunizations). one thing, you guys and girls should maybe start getting your vaccines up-to-date.

something i learned from last year, UIC COP (college of pharmacy) has slightly different requirements than UIC Office of Admissions (who takes care of the whole UIC system). i think (i might be wrong on some of this), but UIC COP required one of the Hepatitis vaccines, and to prove immunity (since we are in a health professional school), and I think the Office of Admissions for UIC required polio (where COP did not). In either case, I ended up getting everything done, so that there would be no oversight. The Hep vaccine you may want to start right away, because one of them is a 3-stepper. You have to come back in a few months for booster shots. It was only last year, but I forget which one it was! =)

And... make sure you photocopy and file away everything submitted to school. This is to make it easier for the school and yourself. Never know what may happen (we did have a fire this past year, after all), and it may be better to have everything with you... so that if something happens you have a back-up.

Sorry, I'm writing this after pulling an all-nighter for an exam, so my writing may not be coherent.

Please ask if you have any questions. I'll try to help. =)

oh, and yeah, you will be receiving a letter from UIC, but it is from the Office of Admissions (university-wide office). it's the "official" letter that I used to apply for the scholarship with my work.

the COP will pretty much communicate everything with you via email.

and again, two immunization forms (one for UIC and one for COP). :cool:

With the fire, the couldn't check our immunization forms prior to registering for clerkships. Normally, they go over them to ensure we have everything in order. P-3s picked rotations this week, and it was an interesting experience. Since I ended up with a mod 3 medicine rotation, I might end up being one of your P-4 preceptors during your week of shadowing in October. :)

How soon can I start registering for the independent study elective? I think I've already found a professor that does what I'm interested in :)

Normally, professors don't like to take students for independent study until the spring semester.